Video: Anna Eats Salsa

Kate on March 29th 2010 in beauty, body, food, video

6 Responses to “Video: Anna Eats Salsa”

1. Christine responded on 30 Mar 2010 at 10:41 am #

Oh Anna! What a brave video! I am in awe of your salsa eating. I love salsa too, but I will keep eating it forever so I just avoid it. I LOVE crunch! I would eat crunchy things all day if I could. Your discourse on make-up made so much sense to me. Not wearing make-up is freedom to me too. You get all of this extra time that you don’t have to spend putting it on and taking it off. As for looking like everyone else, they all want to look like you, that is my guess. I have hyperkeratosis, which means my hands are covered in callousses. I have had them since birth. I remember thinking that it was odd that other people didn’t have them too. My hands get so dirty looking and stained at times. It is just because of the callouses. It has helped me to let go of how I look and just worry about the inside. Now I try to focus on how God sees me. I think God loves me very much and wants me to live up to my potential. And part of that is realizing that all the parts of me are beautiful too. Thanks for sharing.

2. Kate responded on 02 Apr 2010 at 11:47 pm #

Anna— I’m watching this for like the fifth time, and you are so awesome. You touched on some incredibly important points. I think either Maggie or I should do a post on clothing sizes soon. And makeup. And the idea of normalcy, which is always so difficult. You are totally beautiful of course, and the shot of you at the very end is the cutest thing ever. Thank you so much!!

3. Marnie O responded on 02 Apr 2010 at 11:56 pm #

Anna -

I looooove salsa too! I used to buy fresh salsa all the time and just eat it out of the container. It’s great for a label reader (I’m one too) because it’s so healthy and so delicious.

I don’t think ANYONE makes it out of adolescence without being made to feel like a freak. I’m glad you’re getting more comfortable with yourself – for many of us it is a life-long battle.

4. Emily responded on 03 Apr 2010 at 9:15 pm #

Anna! I was so surprised to see your video when I checked the blog! It was amazing :) I totally agree with the shopping thing. I went shopping last week when my parents came to visit, and it was so frustrating. I felt like everything looked bad on me and I was gigantically fat. I kept having to back for larger sizes. ugh. I don’t blame the clothing companies, but it’s just our whole culture and the image we obsess about. Everyone has to be so small and perfect to get let into the media. It’s really kind of sad.
    You, however, are one of the most beautiful people that I know, inside and out, and you look sooo adorable in this blog. Love you forever :)

5. laura responded on 07 Apr 2010 at 12:57 am #

Anna, you are so awesome!!! i can’t tell you how much i relate to you, especially on the shopping front… it used to my way to relax, but now it just stresses me out. asking for a bigger size? NOT exactly what i consider to be a good time. and i also hate that the media’s portrayal of super-skinny-bitches has taken a little slice of the pleasures of shopping away from women. sigh. but anyway, you are very well-spoken, and i genuinely loved this video. keep crunching girl, you’re incredible!

6. Caitlin responded on 31 Mar 2012 at 2:58 pm #

Wow. So I normally wouldn’t comment on something two years old, but I just found this blog, and chose to start at the beginning and catch up on two years worth of posts… and although I’ve watched all the other videos, this is the one that hit home for me.
    I’m currently in university studying nutrition… I feel like it’s my duty to eat well and read labels and make up for anything I shouldn’t eat. Sometimes I starve myself to feel good about myself. But knowing I’m not the only one who probably gets frustrated not knowing how many calories are in the sandwich I just ordered, or who googles how much fat was in the donut I just ate… That makes me feel better.

Your comment about clothing labels surprisingly didn’t affect me much though. Well. A little. I went from a size 0 to a size 2 recently. I commonly try on an XS shirt, and realize it fits my body, but squishes my boobs, so I need a S or a M to fit over the boobs, and then it doesn’t fit me right on my stomach… That bothers me, But what I honestly thought of, was an article I read recently. I think it was for bloomingdales? Not sure. Anyways, they made a new system for clothing sizes. They named all their sizes after different gems. Ruby, pearl, jade, sapphire. You get the point. So everyone feels beautiful, regardless of the size they are. I thought that was a really nice way to address the sensitive topic – by not putting a number on it.

And then you talked about faith. Mine has only been solidified really since I moved away from home in the fall.. and somehow, I had never thought of turning to it to deal with my self esteem issues. I turn to God for all my other major issues, when I feel stressed or guilty… but not when I dislike myself. Thank you for inspiring me.

You are gorgeous btw. I really appreciated and loved your video. Thank you :)