Guest Post: Rogue talks nude beaches. And also, the cutest video ever

Sorry if you were expecting the video to involve some cuteness occurring on a nude beach. It’s not like that.

But first, this is Rogue:

I asked her to talk a little about nude beaches, and this is what she said:

I go to a nude beach on Long Island pretty regularly every summer. It is a very social beach with a party atmosphere. Let me preface by saying that even though I am 5’10 that does not mean that I have a model body. I have some cellulite, adult acne and muffin tops when I try to fit into a size 12. However, this beach is my own personal paradise.

There is something in the air there that makes you appreciate and feel appreciated, no matter what you look like. Not only does everyone show parts of themselves they may or may not feel insecure about, but there are all types of people, from construction workers to accountants to business executives to professors, hair stylists, and social workers. The bottom line is that people are able to be themselves; being in the buff just gives them a head start.

There is no hiding behind clothing brands or color coordination. At this beach you may be more inclined to interact with someone you may not interact with in other circumstances.

Since you can’t put people into boxes right away, you are able to base your perception of them on actual character. I think people in the clothed world base too much of who they can or can’t be friends with by their consumption patterns. If you are surrounded by people who love themselves and love their bodies, the world becomes a much brighter place. So in conclusion, this beach has made me more comfortable with my self-image and has made me appreciate humankind more. Everyone at this beach is made to feel appreciated and welcome, no matter what their size, so I say, “Eat the damn cake!” and love yourself clothed and unclothed.

(Her un-roast: Today I love my courage to move halfway around the world with a one-way ticket all by myself. I never thought I would be able to do this, but today I am strong enough.)

*  *  *  *

And this is Laura and Alyssa. Apparently I have fans. Which makes me feel famous. And powerful. I RULE THE WORLD!!! OK, but seriously, here they are:

Kate on August 7th 2010 in guest post, video

8 Responses to “Guest Post: Rogue talks nude beaches. And also, the cutest video ever”

1. J.D. Meier responded on 07 Aug 2010 at 5:20 pm #

> The bottom line is that people are able to be themselves; being in the buff just gives them a head start.
    Beautiful words of wisdom!

2. Rogue responded on 08 Aug 2010 at 4:21 am #

Aw thank you!

3. Wei-Wei responded on 08 Aug 2010 at 6:03 am #

Wow. You’re incredibly brave to go to a nude beach… I admire your courage, honesty AND insight! I agree with JD Meier, that is the greatest line.

Wei-Wei

4. Joanna responded on 08 Aug 2010 at 12:40 pm #

I like this post a lot but I still have so many questions. I’ve always wanted to go to a nude beach but a couple things have prevented me. 1. I am afraid of people with cameras/cellphone cameras. Are you ever worried that people will take pictures that will end up on the internet? 2. Do you have to be completely nude? I’m comfortable going topless but I’m still not comfortable with um…other parts of my body…is it okay to still wear a bottom?

5. bobbie responded on 08 Aug 2010 at 7:36 pm #

Chipwich – my husband’s favorite treat. He eats really healthy, but if he’s going to cheat, it’s with a chipwich. Sometimes he shares. As for nude beaches. I think they are fine, but not for me. Nuff said.

6. Liz responded on 14 Aug 2010 at 9:08 am #

I felt the same way when I was a nude dancer. a whole layer of pretension just dropped away between the dancers. we were very “oursleves.”

7. Donnie Fetty responded on 02 Feb 2011 at 12:43 pm #

Hello just thought i’d tell you some thing.. That is twice now i?ve landed in your weblog within the last 3 weeks searching for totally unrelated things. Great Info! Keep up the great do the job.

8. Rogue responded on 12 Aug 2011 at 4:01 pm #

Joanna,
    Sometimes there are people with cell phones. It definitely makes you feel uncomfortable. If these people get caught they get kicked off the beach. Or alternatively, you could put up a wind screen or go up to them and tell them what they are doing is against beach etiquette.
    You do not have to get completely nude. I have some friends that go that keep their bottoms on. Its no problem. :) Hope this was helpful, even though it was written a year later hehe.