My new blog

I started another blog. I wanted to be able to write about education and homeschooling (the topic of a book I’m slowly but surely working on) without dividing this blog between that and body image related stuff. So now begins the great experiment of writing two blogs while also occasionally living the rest of my life. I’m feeling cocky, so I’m just gonna do it. If someone you know is interested in alternative education, regular education, stories of a weird childhood, or me, please direct them to the new blog. If someone you know teaches in a public school, please tell them to come over and have interesting discussions with me. (Or to inform me that my parents brainwashed me and homeschooling should be illegal. The legality of homeschooling is an interesting topic.) If you fit any of these descriptions, then come on over yourself!

Sometimes when I write about homeschooling, people think I’m saying that regular school is terrible and everyone who went or goes to it is going to turn out badly. I don’t think this at all. My parents went to public school. So did Bear. So did several of my closest friends. All of these people turned out really, really well. I don’t hate school. My little brother went to high school. It seemed to work out pretty well for him. I also don’t think homeschooling is perfect, and my mission is not to promote homeschooling as an ideal lifestyle. It’s just to raise awareness about alternative education options, and tell my own story. Homeschooling is a pretty new movement in the U.S., and, though I don’t think anyone has any numbers on this, I have always been able to tell that there aren’t that many people like me around. As in, people who didn’t go to any kind of school before college, and are now in their twenties. There are a lot more resources for homeschooling parents now than there were when my mom was starting out, but there aren’t many resources for the adult children of homeschooling. Now that we’re in the “real world,” it’s almost like we are supposed to forget about how weird our lives were up until college. We’re supposed to perfectly assimilate and quietly disappear. I’m bad at being quiet.

So this is my new blog: Un-schooled

Check it out! Spread the word! I’ll buy you cake…

Kate on November 17th 2010 in being different, homeschooling

11 Responses to “My new blog”

1. Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday responded on 17 Nov 2010 at 11:52 am #

Will you really buy me cake?

2. Kate responded on 17 Nov 2010 at 11:56 am #

Yup.

3. Angela Jones responded on 17 Nov 2010 at 12:12 pm #

Good luck Kate on your new blog! I’m sure it is going to be great for you! I have a good friend who just decided to home school and she is loving it! She is also a photographer and she photographs their outings together, it has really been a positive experience so far. Last year, my daughter had a rough start to the year. Her teacher was mean. Our daughter was just starting 1st grade and this teacher has been known to have parents move their kids out of the district and then come back the next year to avoid her. I gave her the benefit of the doubt but within 2 weeks, we decided to take her out and put her in a private school and it was great. This year however, we moved her back to the public school and she is doing great. Somedays…homeschooling sounds wonderful. I miss my babies, they are growing up so fast and what they are exposed to is too much. I am looking forward to your new blog and so happy for you…can’t wait for your book! I am going to let my friend know about your blog. Her blog is I believe http://www.ilulifoto.com. They got to the museums, tons of field trips, make dinners as a family, really cool stuff. I’m going to pass your site along to her!!

4. Noel responded on 17 Nov 2010 at 12:12 pm #

Congrats on your new blog! I checked it out and I think it looks great. And I also think it’s a great idea to split these two important conservations up. I know you’ll be able to do both. :)

Can’t wait to read more!

5. Christin@purplebirdblog responded on 17 Nov 2010 at 2:12 pm #

One of my best friends was homeschooled, and he just started his own college journey at the age of 30. I remember the day he started school saying, “Yea for you going back to school… er, I mean, TO school!” :)

6. Cindy responded on 17 Nov 2010 at 5:41 pm #

oh my gosh I got so wrapped up in reading your new posts over there that I forgot to come back and say

YAY

more Kate!

luv ya!

7. Angela Jones responded on 17 Nov 2010 at 6:25 pm #

I wanted to give you my friends website, she is a photographer and also homeschools her children, the website’s address is http://www.lifeiluli.com. Can’t wait to see what the future brings your way Kate!

8. Wei-Wei responded on 17 Nov 2010 at 9:36 pm #

That issue about homeschooling’s legality is very, very interesting…

9. Maura Holley Dey responded on 18 Nov 2010 at 8:51 am #

I have homeschooled my children(about 8 years) and I have schooled (about 8 years) and there are definite advantages to both. My overwhelming thoughts are: thankfully we live in a country where we can choose either; I LOVED to have my children home in their earlier, more formative years; no doubt that even with very little effort you can accomplish more at homeschooling than is currently being done in public schools, especially in the early years; teenagers really love to be with more peers which makes school a nice option during those years; and finally both have their ups and down and it is challenging to tout the benefits of one without putting down the other.
    Good luck with the new venture!
    Maura

10. anna and the ring responded on 18 Nov 2010 at 2:18 pm #

I’m there, if there’s going to be cake?

11. Katie berring | Sickfightgear responded on 19 Sep 2012 at 4:11 pm #

[...] Eat the Damn Cake » My new blogNov 17, 2010 … Good luck with you new blog Kate Berring (I know I didn’t need to write your last name but I wanted to try it out). I have homeschooled my … [...]