The wedding pictures

Here it is. (Some of) my wedding in pictures.

This is me in the bridal chamber, at the end of getting ready, when I started to feel overwhelmed at an entirely new level.

We were backed into the room where we signed the ketubah, the Jewish wedding contract, and we saw each other for the first time as bride and groom.

My brothers

The public ceremony is about to begin…

Bear’s brother and Emily

I am shaking, and repeating to myself, “Don’t trip, don’t trip…”

My dress is really big. I find it difficult to climb the steps, and Bear helps me:

It’s a really old synagogue, and it kinda looks like a church:

The ceremony begins. I suddenly feel very comfortable.

We spilled some wine, rather than drinking it, in recognition of the gay and lesbian people who still can’t legally get married.

We were wrapped in a tallis (a prayer shawl), and then we got to kiss

Bear breaks the glass, and is really proud of himself. This concludes the ceremony!

I am astoundingly happy (just like they say you will be at this moment):

These are some of my closest friends:

My parents

This is my grandmother (the other one looked equally beautiful, but was at the back of the room at the time)

We danced the hora.

Some amazing toasts….one from Bear’s mother

One from my brother Gabe, who knows exactly how to handle a challah

Bear’s father gave an incredibly funny toast

My brothers are both flutists. They played a piece composed for us by Gary Schocker, who taught them.

I performed a song I wrote for Bear

Everyone at the parents’ table seemed to like it. That’s Bear’s stepmother in red, and his stepfather in, well, another tux.

It was pretty much over. Bear is the sweetest man.

*  *  *  *

Un-roast: Today I love the way I look in (almost all of) these photos.

P.S. Check out what color nailpolish I am wearing. (I’m such a rebel.)

New post at Un-schooled, about how nice it is to be weird from the start.

Kate on December 21st 2010 in wedding

44 Responses to “The wedding pictures”

1. Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday responded on 21 Dec 2010 at 12:09 pm #

Great pictures Kate!

What a gorgeous synagogue to be married in! And the lighting in the synagogue is so cool! Is that how it normally looks or was that just for your special day?

2. Kate responded on 21 Dec 2010 at 12:14 pm #

They do the lighting, but I got to choose the colors and when they would change. The lighting was one of the big reasons why I loved the place.

Thanks!!

3. Cindy responded on 21 Dec 2010 at 12:58 pm #

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY
    what a beautiful day Kate and Bear!

and I caught your BLUE ( think it’ blue) nails when you shot me a pic of you.

MY DRESS WAS BLUE!

who’s the bigger rebel! hahahahahaha
    (so that’s my un-roast)
    for once I was a rebel and loved it!

thank you for sharing your wonderful day with us all!
    xo

4. Christin@purplebirdblog responded on 21 Dec 2010 at 1:01 pm #

Okay, so I super love the one where they’re adjusting your veil and you’re looking up and the snuggly prayer shawl one! I LOVE the recognition for gays/lesbians… that is seriously so badass. The bridesmaids’ dresses are awesome. And your bouquet totally rocks. Thank you for sharing these!!

5. Kate responded on 21 Dec 2010 at 1:02 pm #

@Cindy
    Ha!! You definitely win! My blue nails were about the only rebellious thing going on there…

6. Joanna responded on 21 Dec 2010 at 1:02 pm #

Wow. So beautiful and happy, all of it.

7. Kate responded on 21 Dec 2010 at 1:03 pm #

@Christin
    That bouquet was SO heavy. It was like a weapon.

8. Jess responded on 21 Dec 2010 at 1:56 pm #

You’re beautiful! :D

What a GORGEOUS space. Oh my goodness. Also love that you wrote him a song. My friend’s husband did that for their reception. :)

9. Ellie Di responded on 21 Dec 2010 at 2:35 pm #

Amazeballs! Such a beautiful place (and you look fantastic).

10. Virginia responded on 21 Dec 2010 at 3:19 pm #

So beautiful and wonderful! ! That venue is spectacular, too. (And I really like your bridesmaids dresses — everyone looks fantastic!)

Happy sigh.

11. San D responded on 21 Dec 2010 at 3:31 pm #

Just a side note…Kate’s grandmother always reminds me of Bette Midler. Kate and Bear are truly blessed to be surrounded by wonderfully talented, happy, and funny people who also happen to be their relatives. How lucky! The wedding was a joyous celebration with much love, music, food, and spirituality.

12. Gaby responded on 21 Dec 2010 at 3:35 pm #

Kate! These are so beautiful! And YOU are so beautiful! You are crazy for getting worried over these haha. I actually can’t see your nail polish in these photos but I believe that you’d do something so wild as wear blue.
    I’m sorry for the lack of commenting lately, I’m redefining the word busy over here. All good things though!
    unroast: I love that I’m in some frumpy kakhi’s and a sweatshirt today and I still feel like that hot girl that can pull these things off :)

13. Leslie responded on 21 Dec 2010 at 3:38 pm #

You look so beautiful! And Bear looks so handsome. And you both look so happy. It was the most spectacular wedding, and reflected all the devotion and sweetness and grandeur and spirit of your bond.

And your song to your beloved was outstanding.

14. Kate responded on 21 Dec 2010 at 3:44 pm #

@Gaby
    You are the hot girl who can pull it off. And no need for apologies! Keep redefining the word and changing the world!

15. Kate responded on 21 Dec 2010 at 3:45 pm #

@Leslie
    Thanks for the comment! :)

16. janetha @ meals and moves responded on 21 Dec 2010 at 4:27 pm #

THANK YOU for sharing this special day with us. I loved reading this post and all the photos. You had so many unique things that made it YOUR wedding. That’s awesome. <3

17. Elizabeth responded on 21 Dec 2010 at 4:40 pm #

Kate, You look beautiful! I can feel the love through the pictures and it seriously brings tears to my eyes. The pictures are amazing!
    XO

18. Valerie responded on 21 Dec 2010 at 5:04 pm #

You look so grown up and gorgeous!

19. Barbara responded on 21 Dec 2010 at 6:40 pm #

I still get choked up reliving the day. It was
    THE most beautiful and uniquely personal wedding I have ever been to. Someone must have sprinkled magic dust everywhere!

20. joan misko responded on 21 Dec 2010 at 6:55 pm #

Ladies,

This is my most beautiful cousin. Isnt she breathtaking???!!!!! It was the most amazing day, so much love was in the air and smiles at every turn. Kate, yes magic dust was definetly sprinkled, yes, that is true!!! Love and hugs, and hugs and love

21. Kate responded on 21 Dec 2010 at 6:57 pm #

@Joan
    You’re sweet!! Love you!

22. Karen responded on 21 Dec 2010 at 7:46 pm #

I could gaze at these photographs for hours relieving once again one of the happiest days of my life. Kate, you were gorgeous, as everyone knew you would be, and Simon was so very handsome. The love you two radiated filled the space to overflowing enveloping all who were present. The sanctuary pulsated with your love and happiness.

You and Simon created a wedding ceremony and celebration that was uniquely yours – both personal and inclusive. Everything was special from the space, to your vows, the vocalist, the songs that you sung to Simon, his speech, the performers, the chuppah, flowers, and food. I will never forget the way Simon looked when gazed at you as you sang to him on the bema. So much love evident for all to see. Everything a mother could wish for her daughter was in his expression.

Oh my, oh my, what a day it was!

23. Sarah responded on 21 Dec 2010 at 8:13 pm #

So happy you posted these! You look beautiful, your happiness does indeed shine through and your dress is lovely. The synagogue…wow. Beautiful place to get married.

I love the ones of you and Bear cuddling the most. So cute. He actually does look like a bear in some of them, especially because he’s so much bigger than you. And I mean that in the kindest way! You make a lovely couple.

I noticed the nail polish ;-)

24. zoe (and the beatles) responded on 21 Dec 2010 at 10:41 pm #

you look so beautiful, kate!!! and so ridiculously happy!!! congratulations to you and bear. what a lovely ceremony :)

25. Wei-Wei responded on 22 Dec 2010 at 3:56 am #

You’re so beautiful.

26. Wei-Wei responded on 22 Dec 2010 at 3:56 am #

(That was so creepy.)

27. Another Emma responded on 22 Dec 2010 at 6:47 am #

Oh Kate, I am so glad you posted these! You look absolutely gorgeous, and the day looks so great. Like a movie!

My favourite picture is the one with you and Bear wrapped up in the tallis. So contented. Lovely!

28. Angela Jones responded on 22 Dec 2010 at 10:12 am #

Kate, I LOVE all of your pictures, they are ALL so beautiful! They synagogue is amazing, what a beautiful place to be married. I love the picture of Bear’s face when he sees you, the one when you are performing your song for him (how sweet) and the one of you in his arms when it is almost over. What a beautiful couple you are. I am so happy for you. Thank you so much for sharing!

29. Sona responded on 22 Dec 2010 at 10:59 am #

You are stunning! What beautiful pictures, and what a beautiful day. I am glad you had such a blast with friends and family and your Bear!

30. Kate responded on 22 Dec 2010 at 11:40 am #

@Wei-Wei
    You are definitely never creepy.

31. Kate responded on 22 Dec 2010 at 11:41 am #

@Angela
    I really love the pictures of Bear when he sees me, too!! His face is so expressive and sweet.

32. Sarh responded on 22 Dec 2010 at 3:27 pm #

First off, you look absolutely stunning, completely gorgeous, happy and so in love. But second off, bow-chicka-wow-wow! Can we please just notice how good Bear looks too?! He looks just as gorgeous, happy, and in love as you do! It’s definitely a good look for both of you.

33. GM responded on 22 Dec 2010 at 9:31 pm #

not to be creepy, but you are just stunning. i’ve been reading your blog for a long time and i’ve never commented before, but you look so happy and beautiful. i also think you look just like sarah bareilles!

34. Kore responded on 23 Dec 2010 at 2:35 am #

It’s embarrassing, but I teared up looking at these photos. You both look gorgeous, but more importantly, you both look ecstatic.

35. Tabs responded on 23 Dec 2010 at 8:06 am #

:) Congratulations, lady!

36. MWN responded on 25 Dec 2010 at 2:29 pm #

Whooooo! I was waiting for the photos! First of all, wow, your mom’s dress is awesome. Not that we should judge people on their clothes, but I am impressed. Also, that lacy thing you wear to cover your shoulders is gorgeous and you can totally wear that all the time! Nice. And I noticed the nailpolish right off the bat and loved how un-typical it was ;-)

37. Kate responded on 25 Dec 2010 at 11:24 pm #

@the people who noticed it
    I bought the lace shrug on Etsy, from an artist who makes them. It cost $40. It took me like four seconds to find. So great.

38. AlisonM responded on 29 Dec 2010 at 6:20 pm #

I really enjoyed looking at these. I especially love the action shot of you and your bridesmaids(?). It reminded me of my friend’s wedding this summer — there are many similar shots of us trying to sort her dress / veil etc out. Women (often) have a beautiful, intimate way of interacting with each other, and I love it that photos can capture that sometimes.

Glad you mostly liked them anyway. You and Bear and Super. Cute!

39. Marie responded on 14 Jan 2011 at 11:07 pm #

What a beautiful wedding. And thank you for spilling the wine.

40. Mandy responded on 18 Jan 2011 at 1:01 am #

Congratulations! An amazing set of wedding photos, but I have to agree with the previous posters who said that their favorite photo was the one of you and Bear wrapped in the prayer shawl, and you have your head on his shoulder.
    All I can say is…Awwww! *sniffle*
    May you be at least as happy together as my husband and I!

41. Eat the Damn Cake » Out in public with a naked face responded on 20 Jan 2011 at 1:56 pm #

[...] of trying to wear makeup, failing hilariously and dramatically, and giving up. I had a little on at my wedding, but seriously, it was a little. I think some lipgloss and [...]

42. Emmi responded on 03 Mar 2011 at 3:02 pm #

My, that last photo! Stunning.

43. Eat the Damn Cake » Marriage! responded on 25 Jun 2011 at 12:59 pm #

[...] Because I really, really, really enjoyed this: [...]

44. Eat the Damn Cake » stop judging my diamond ring, I already know I’m a bad rebel responded on 25 Oct 2012 at 1:21 pm #

[...] wedding gown was also all of those things, except the last one (wedding gown warehouse sale!). Big and fluffy and white and possibly glittering slightly, I can’t actually remember, but there w…. It was almost exactly what Disney would’ve come up with, and then he would’ve lopped off most [...]