I shaved my arms once

Once I shaved my arms. It was an accident. Sort of. I was in the shower, shaving my legs. So the razor was already in my hand. Which is a dangerous place for a razor to be, apparently, and then I looked down at my arm and curiously drew the blades along its surface, leaving a naked patch like a road cut through a forest.

I stared at it for a second and I thought, “Oh shit.” And then I shaved the rest of my arm. Which meant I had to do the other one. Which meant I would have stubble on my arms in a few days. But I wasn’t thinking about that then. I was just thinking that actually they looked pretty good.

(This kind always cut me. Men’s razors are better. source)

I have really hairy arms. I blame it on my dad. He’s incredibly hairy. He jokes that soon hair is going to start growing out of the top of his nose, and sprouting from his ears. When I was little, he liked to pretend he was a gorilla to entertain my brothers and I. He based his ability to be a gorilla on his hairiness. Which does not bode well for any daughter he might have.

And since he has a daughter, and that daughter is me, I’m the one it doesn’t bode well for. That was a little convoluted.

Anyway, I’m hairy. Once a guy I had just started dating made this comment about how the last girl he’d been with was Asian so there was a BIG difference, and it took a LOT of adjusting.

As a young girl, I didn’t think it was a big deal that I was hairy. It was just how my body was, and I was awesome. So what?

The moment when I realized that I was abnormal was at a sleepover party. We were playing this truth or dare kind of game, with these weird flashcards, and one of them read “the girl with the most hair on her big toe has to answer the next question truthfully.” I looked down and I knew, instinctively, that my big toe would have the most hair on it. I tucked it under a blanket. I said, “That’s gross. Do the next card.” I realized that having hair on the top of one’s toe was not OK.

But even then, I didn’t think about it much. Until I shaved my arms almost by accident. They looked a lot better, I thought. I thought I looked a lot more feminine. I thought that from that day forth I would continue to regularly shave them. So that I would continue to look more feminine for the rest of my life. It suddenly seemed completely rational that I do this, and I was surprised that I hadn’t thought of it before. That I had let myself go on so shamefully for so long.

The hair grew back. And I forgot to shave it again. It was itchy and prickly in the in-between stages, and even if I’d thought about it, it wouldn’t have seemed worth going through that again.

The other day my brother’s girlfriend mentioned how she has absolutely no hair on her arms. I held out my arm for comparison. I said, “Check that out. How’s that for hairy?” And it occurred to me that I didn’t even come close to minding.

It’s funny, the things that turn out to not be a problem.

(the tendency to take hundreds of pictures of myself during my teenage years might have actually been a problem….This is for MWN, who said she liked seeing pictures of me instead of sexy models on this blog.)

Un-roast: Today I love how surprisingly strong I occasionally feel. Mostly when I’m carrying both milk, soda, and water bottles at the same time.

For my post about not shaving my legs for a summer, click here. Since we’re talking about shaving.

For the third and last installment from my 16-yr-old memoir, go to Un-schooled. In it, I miss out on something really, really important.

Kate on January 26th 2011 in beauty, being different

48 Responses to “I shaved my arms once”

1. Michelle responded on 26 Jan 2011 at 2:27 pm #

I love that you identify the slippery slop of starting. Once done, keep doing. Crap why did I do it in the first place. I will be showing this to my 12 year old.

2. mk responded on 26 Jan 2011 at 2:34 pm #

i’ve shaved my arms since i was a sophomore in college. i love it. i like how silky they feel. i enjoyed reading this, though. your posts are always great.

3. mk responded on 26 Jan 2011 at 2:37 pm #

ps: my first experience was very similar. i didn’t plan on it, it just kind of happened in the shower and then i had to finish the job. i don’t shave them every day, maybe once or twice per week. lucky for me, the hair doesn’t grow back very coarse (which is very unlike my leg hair).

anyway. i’m done now. :)

4. Erin Block responded on 26 Jan 2011 at 2:50 pm #

I tried shaving a really small patch on my arm. Scared the heck out of me! :) I also did the “un-shave” for a few years….I too inherited thick hair….until my mom started calling my a Yeti!

5. Christin@purplebirdblog responded on 26 Jan 2011 at 3:01 pm #

The first time I ever shaved my legs I’m glad my mom was keeping close watch, because I held the razor to my arm to shave my arm hair and she ran over and stopped me. I thought you were supposed to shave your arms too. I have hairy toes, and I do shave them, and my boyfriend lovingly says I have hobbit feet. I kinda like it :)

6. Ashley responded on 26 Jan 2011 at 3:04 pm #

I have never shaved my arms, they are barely hairy at all, however I did tweeze my own eyebrows several years ago (back when super thin brows were the thing) and then they have never fully grown back yet. :-(

7. Autumn responded on 26 Jan 2011 at 4:00 pm #

I shaved my arms once too, and thought it was brilliant and continued to do so until my mother saw once and–AT THE DINNER TABLE–shrieked, “Did you SHAVE your ARMS?” Like your toe hair moment, I realized that, unequivocally, it was Not Okay to shave one’s arms.

Which was how I discovered arm-hair bleaching. I haven’t done it since college but damn I sported some brilliant blonde arm hair for a Native American lady…

8. Kate responded on 26 Jan 2011 at 4:06 pm #

@Autumn
    Yeah, it’s actually completely random, that we’re not supposed to shave our arms, but we’re ALWAYS supposed to shave our legs.

9. Just Josie responded on 26 Jan 2011 at 4:44 pm #

It *is* so random! I’d never thought of it exactly as being random, but now that you put it that way, it absolutely is. It’s like women aren’t supposed to be hairy, but of course we are, because we’re adult mammals, but we’re not supposed to have to work to not be hairy…? That was kinda discombobulated, sorry.

Anyway, what I’ve always found ironic was the construct of femininity. Obviously, there’s the Ideal Feminine Woman, but technically the very state of being female is to be feminine. And regardless of how much hair women have on their arms (and elsewhere on their bodies, for that matter) they *do* have it. So femininity is just… completely unrealistic, and considering that being a woman, one is naturally feminine, it seems like a whole hell of a lot of work to put in. I mean, who even gets to decide these things? When were they decided? More importantly, why were they accepted?

I, personally, have hairy arms as well. However, it’s not particularly noticable because I am a blonde.

Un-roast: I’m not really boy-crazy. But I am, sort of — in that I don’t like any boys here, but I frequently invent them in my head (is that even healthy?!). Or I get book character crushes. Quite frequently, really. But while I don’t actively waste my days dreaming of the opposite sex, I’ve always got this notion floating around in the back of my mind, that my life will magically become better and I’ll be happier if only I get a boyfriend. And today, I was thinking about this, and I said, “How fucked up is that? Really, Josie — what the hell? No, no, wrong, BAD JOSIE. Relationships are a lot of work! You don’t need one of those! You’re fifteen years old, for goodness’ sake! You have to be happy first!”. And for once, I am telling myself the truth. That feels pretty nice, actually.

10. JJgal responded on 26 Jan 2011 at 4:47 pm #

I think my mom shaves her arms. I don’t remember them looking as smooth and hairless as I’ve recently noticed them to be. Or maybe since she’s in the menopausal state, maybe she shaved them recently and it just doesn’t grow in as thick or dark anymore. Lucky. Either way, I have the gene. I have an Italian father (half Sicilian) so I got the hairiness. Not super hairy, but hairy enough that I don’t like it. I’m envious of gals who only have to shave their legs twice a week. Or whose hair grows in so light and fine that no one would notice it anyway. Mine comes in dark. And I have very fair skin (from Mom’s side). What a combo. Very noticeable. I also have sensitive skin and get that lovely “chicken-skin” look, especially in the winter. The pink, bumpy looking stuff. It’s super sexy. Not. When people ask me, “What would you spend money on if you won the lottery?” One of the first things I say is electrolosis. Arms, pits, legs, hoo-ha (yes I just called THAT area my hoo-ha)… all of it. Shaving is so tedious. My arms aren’t THAT hairy I’m sure, but I still am conscious of it sometimes. I had a blonde friend in high school whose arms actually looked furry. And she was one of the most confident people I’ve ever known. I wish I had that confidence! I’m engaged to a wonderful man who think’s I’m sexy as hell and has probably never even noticed my hairiness, nor cared any about it. So silly, silly me for caring any more than that. (I also have the hairy toes – I actually SHAVE them! And I shave my “mustache” too!) You’ve seen two pics of me. I don’t appear to be a hairy gal, do I? But I see myself that way. I wonder how much of it is just me being concerned about it and how much would really send anyone runnning in the other direction if they saw it. I’d like to think they’d know me well enough or like who I am before they’d judge me by the amount of hair on my body. LOL

Oh, and I started plucking my eyebrows almost 20 years ago (eek, that makes me feel old) and I wish I had never started. They were very unattractive and thick, but I wish I had the sense or the money to have a salon shape them back then. They are too thin (which ages a person) and very sparse – they don’t grow in fully and there are sections missing. Remember when Vanilla Ice did that to his eyebrows ON PURPOSE? You may be too young to recall. Anyway… I’ve fallen victim to most of the things we women do to try to control the amount of hair on our bodies. To the point where I’ve removed too much or gone to extremes. Perfectly normal by those brightly colored magazines’ standards, but probably more than any of us really have to do.

11. JJgal responded on 26 Jan 2011 at 4:47 pm #

Oh and one of theses day sI will post an un-roast. Today is not the day. Ever hear of PMDD? Yeah, not fun. Maybe tomorrow.

12. Virginia responded on 26 Jan 2011 at 5:42 pm #

I had never even HEARD of arm hair removal until Beauty U (when the first thing we learned to wax was my arms, shameless link promotion here: http://beautyschooledproject.com/2010/04/06/waxing-begins/).

And the thing is, it’s not because I don’t have hairy arms. My arms are pretty darn hairy. And it’s brown hair and my skin is pale. But body hair must skip a generation because neither my dad or my mom are hairy folk — my mom only shaves her legs like once a summer and just doesn’t have hair the rest of the time, a fact I find infuriating. So anyway, it obviously never occurred to them to inform me about various hair removal techniques, which meant I got all my information from teen magazines and friends at summer camp. And somehow, missed the entire arm hair removal thing until the grand old age of 28.

I waxed my arms all the time while I was in school, because somebody always needed that signature and I was happy to oblige. The first time, I felt like a hairless mole rat and completely freaked. After awhile, I started to like it. Then I finished school and stopped waxing them and all the hair is back… and I pretty much like that too.

Un-roast: Speaking of strong, I just shoveled the driveway by myself. And I did a pretty crap job because I hate shoveling, but it was an excellent excuse to tramp around outside in my snowboots. And I love how adorable and athletic I look when I’m tramping around in my snow boots.

13. San D responded on 26 Jan 2011 at 6:15 pm #

Lucky me, 20 years after chemo and the hair on my arms, legs and underarms didn’t grow back! See, there IS a silver lining.

14. Kayla responded on 26 Jan 2011 at 6:22 pm #

I naturally have fairly hairy arms as well. When I was younger it didn’t bother me… until… classmates began to make fun of me for it. I was called everything from gorilla to werewolf. I remember going home crying more than once.

I somehow knew that shaving my arms was a “no-no” (for whatever reason?) so I asked my mom if there was something else I could do. I’m pretty sure it broke my mom’s heart that I was being made fun of for something so insignificant and that it was taking a toll on me.

So she bought me some hair remover, like Nair. and I’ve used it ever since. Though, now, I do so less often. and I know that no one would probably even notice if I stopped doing so. But those memories somehow still haunt me now, almost 10 years later, and, as someone else mentioned, I do enjoy the more “feminine” feel of having less hairy arms.

Maybe one day I’ll be able to put away depilatory cream for good. :)

15. Kate responded on 26 Jan 2011 at 7:54 pm #

@San D
    I love how you can just speak your mind.

16. Kate responded on 26 Jan 2011 at 7:55 pm #

@Virginia
    You can shamelessly promote on ETDC anytime. And wow. I don’t think I could make it through shoveling so much as a front walk. I want snow boots!

17. Kate responded on 26 Jan 2011 at 7:57 pm #

@Kayla
    Sometimes the things that kids figure out to make fun of other kids for boggle my mind. I mean, really? How do they notice every little detail? How do they always decide it means something bad?

18. paige responded on 26 Jan 2011 at 8:04 pm #

I shaved my arms once last summer, in an attempt to offset my epic tomboyishness. Afterwards I noticed that literally every other woman I saw didn’t.

Seriously, every woman. Commerce student/bike messenger/goth kids, arm shaving just wasn’t a thing. And I think I like that.

19. Wei-Wei responded on 26 Jan 2011 at 8:21 pm #

I tried once, and I felt pretty good. It wasn’t prickly growing back but it felt pretty nice… nobody noticed, by the way. I’m Asian, so I’m not that hairy. But I’m hairier than most. Meh, I don’t mind anymore – but I do mind in the summer when I have hairy legs. That’s a different problem.

20. jstolk responded on 26 Jan 2011 at 11:35 pm #

When I was in 4th grade I had to wear a dress to school every day (stupid private school uniforms) and a few boys on the bus teased me for my very hairy legs. One day, after about a month of the teasing I calmly and rationally pointed out that they too had hairy legs, and how would they like it if I teased them about something natural. They stopped after that, and to this day, even though I have coarse dark hair that grows quickly, only shave once or twice a month. My husband doesn’t mind, and I like the way my legs feel when they have hair.

21. Anna responded on 27 Jan 2011 at 2:09 am #

I did that once too! Got carried away while shaving and just about shaved my whole body excepting pubic hair which I will never ever shave (I tried trimming it once, and the result was so horrifically itchy). It felt really weird and I never did it again. Fortunately, I have an awesome boyfriend who compliments me on my arm hair.

22. Lilli responded on 27 Jan 2011 at 6:14 am #

I’ve done that before… actually, for about a year i shaved the hair on my arms every day :/ It wasn’t that i had hugely hairy arms (although my hair is quite prolific) it was just that i liked the feeling of there not being ANY hair, which is something i’ve always had a thing about, i have just never liked hairyness, not only on myself, but also on guys.In the end i ended up growing my arm hair out again, and once it was back to normal it didn’t bother me anymore (although i refuse to let any hair grow beneath my waist), the growing back stage though… that was horrid, because stubbly legs are almost acceptable, and pretty easy to hide, stubbly arms, notsomuch :/
    However, i love the way you can speak to frankly about something that most people never talk about, i’ve been reading your blog for a while now, and it’s been a while that’s been pretty hard for me, even though i know in ten years time o something i’ll probably think everything’s stupid, right now, it’s hard, and reading you view of the world has honestly made me smile so many times :)

23. erika responded on 27 Jan 2011 at 10:29 am #

I shaved my arms once too. But it was in third grade! In third freakin’ grade, I was very aware of my ethnicity and that I was different. I was self-conscious and knew hair was just not acceptable for a girl! The funny thing is, my arms aren’t even that hairy. And girlness (mmhmmm, that’s a word;) has nothing to do with hair!

24. Deanna responded on 27 Jan 2011 at 12:22 pm #

I love this post! It’s not my arms that give me grief, it’s my…bikini line. Here’s a story: When I was in my late teens I lived a bit in Europe. All the women waxed back then and it was affordable and just something you did. When I returned to the States I realized that waxing legs and bikini wasn’t an option. No one did it and there was no service available.

I hated to shave the bikini area because it just grew back thicker and grosser. I had a cute figure, but I was afraid to wear a bathing suit. And…of course at that time no one admitted to having any hair ‘down there’ and looked at me like I was crazy when I asked them how to they managed hair removal to wear bikinis. I thought I was the only woman on Earth with hair that extended past the crucial parts.

Whenever i saw signs for waxing services I’d go in and ask for a leg/bikini wax and they shook their heads saying they only did brows. Brows? Who needs a brow wax???

Finally, the States got with the program and started to offer waxing services for areas other than the brows. Within the last few years it has become very popular and most women now admit to having Brazilians or bikini waxes (which makes me now realize that all these women who said they had no hair down there were probably lying otherwise I’d be the only person frequenting these places).

I was still self conscious about the amount of hair I had so I asked a few of my ‘wax ladies’ if I was abnormally hairy. They laughed. They told me stories about women being 5 times worse than me. I told them about being in my early 20s and wondering how so many other women I knew could jump into a itty bitty bikini and go to the beach at a moment’s notice without worrying about..well you know. Apparently everyone just shaved back then and did it daily but didn’t talk about it.

I love waxing. You can do it once every 5 to 6 weeks, it takes 25 minutes and you’re done.

25. Michelle responded on 27 Jan 2011 at 2:34 pm #

@Just Josie
    You rock girl, I can’t believe you’re 15! I’m going to have my daughter read your reply, it will be emowering for her. And I agree about the part that we are mammals, so our hair is a natural birthright, whatever we decide to do with it. And can you imagine a male wolf rejecting a femal wolf mate because of her fur? Preposterous!

26. Mandy responded on 27 Jan 2011 at 4:12 pm #

If you would like a good giggle, check out my comment to Kate’s “Summer of the Unshaved Legs” blog entry…

27. Kate responded on 27 Jan 2011 at 4:15 pm #

I second that. It’s an amazing comment.

28. Just Josie responded on 27 Jan 2011 at 4:56 pm #

@Michelle: Oh, thank you! That is so nice! :)

@Mandy: Just read that comment, and I must concede that it was indeed quite a splendid comment.

I was just thinking about this more (shaving), and I realized I literally only shave twice a year. Seriously. I am not the type who will shave every morning. I’m not sure if it’s purely laziness, or that I’m just that opposed, on a personal level, to conforming to beauty ideals, but I just have no patience for it. I shave once in the summer, just because I like the way it feels when I go swimming, and then I shave once in the wintertime, because (shame) that is when gym class begins. I just shaved over the weekend because I had gym on Monday. I’m not sure why I bother; I sincerely doubt that anyone actually gives a shit; it must be all in my mind. I just shaved the bit of leg that shows when I’m wearing my sweats. And I find all the contorting and twisting (it’s hard with my back), and the cuts, so annoying. I just get bored. I took a break, halfway through shaving, finished up “Children of the Flames: Dr. Josef Mengele and the Untold Story of the Twins of Auschwitz” (great book, by the way), had a piece of cake, and then finished. And I’m really inefficient, too. I’m just kinda like, “Meh. Good enough.” My resolution is to stop bending to society’s pressures and just not shave next year before gym. I’m gonna do it, dammit! :D

29. allison marie responded on 27 Jan 2011 at 8:19 pm #

I’m hairy too – and its my dad’s fault, too. I hate it. It never really occurred to me when I was young, either, but one day I woke up knowing that I was hairy and it was gross. I have hair on my arms that rivals some people’s heads. When people started pointing it out, I got really embarrassed and started removing it (with nair, i’m such an idiot). I brought it up to my husband once, he commented that “he didn’t really notice before, but yes htey were hairy and then he proceeded to laugh that he thought it was dumb i cared so much. I stopped caring so much after that, but I think it sucks that I ever felt ashamed. Thanks for writing this :) glad i’m not alone

30. MWN responded on 28 Jan 2011 at 10:29 am #

Thanks Kate!!! I love the picture! In fact I totally smiled when I saw it and thought, “Yes! Another one of Kate!” And it turns out you did it for me, so I’m really touched.

31. MWN responded on 28 Jan 2011 at 10:32 am #

Also, my older sister always told me I was super hairy, had a unibrow and hairy back, etc. None of which is true (I don’t think…) The back I’m not so sure about, as I can’t actually see it for myself. But I just tell myself that it isn’t, and usually I forget to worry about it. As far as my unibrow is concerned, I pluck my eyebrows at least five times a week, and I actually really appreciate having such thick dark eyebrows. It means constant upkeep, but it also means that once I shape them to my liking, they make a strong statement. I’ve really incorporated them into my idea of why I’m beautiful.

32. Cassandra responded on 28 Jan 2011 at 1:52 pm #

Wow – I shaved my arms too… and I STILL DO. 10 years later… I can’t tolerate the re-growth process! RIDICULOUS, I know!

33. Marilou responded on 29 Jan 2011 at 12:41 am #

Wow, I can’t believe so many women (who commented, at least) shave their arms. I have always liked my dark, thick arm hair. And the, erm, bikini area – ITCHY! How can you stand it???

I gave up shaving my legs 9 months ago. Yep, I went the whole summer with deliciously HAIRY legs and I wore skirts and shorts almost exclusively. And no one said a word, except me, to brag about how long my leg hair was getting (and how soft!). I lost no friends.

About 2 months ago I stopped shaving my armpits. Not a big deal yet, since it’s freezing here. For some reason, armpit hair is disgusting to most people, who all feel the need to share their opinion on it. Summer will be interesting…

What I really don’t understand, though, is how people can have long hair on their HEAD. It’s such a burden! It constantly needs to be styled and moved out of the way and touched up and played with and washed and dried and straightened (which always looks funny) and gelled and sprayed…

34. darryn responded on 01 Feb 2011 at 4:05 pm #

Like armpit hair! I remember crying when I realized that mine existed and that nobody else in the seventh grade had that “problem” (or so I thought). Now I often forget to shave. It happens maybe two or three times a month. And nobody seems to care (not even my partner, who sees it the most).

35. Eat the Damn Cake » Leave hairy men alone! responded on 03 Mar 2011 at 12:09 pm #

[...] dad is hairy. I wrote about being hairy myself, here. I blame him. But I never thought he was weird-looking. He’s my dad! I thought all dads had a [...]

36. Emmi responded on 03 Mar 2011 at 1:44 pm #

I did the exact. same. thing. The innocent line down my forearm, the pause, needing to finish the job. The way you’ve described it here in those first two paragraphs is *exactly* how I remember it. Thankfully the regrowing process wasn’t too horrendous, and my arms returned shortly thereafter to their previous slightly-hirsute state.

My dad also is quite hairy, possessing an impressive man-sweater. I’m moderately hairy I suppose, but it’s never really fazed me that much. I’m partially of Italian descent and there’s naught to do about that.

I suppose, my viewpoint boils down to: Hair is. We has it. We can remove it if we like, or not. Your hair situation is yours, mine is mine, and considering I barely care about mine I definitely don’t have the wherewithal to care about yours. So enjoy! Or not.

P.S., I just got linked to your blog yesterday and I adore it and you already. Bravo!

37. sara responded on 21 Jun 2011 at 4:16 pm #

I use an epilator to do my arms. I just do it once every couple of weeks, it doesn’t hurt at all and only takes a few minutes :) I was always self-conscious about the hair on my arms, and feel much better about it now. I wanted to shave when I was younger, and it wasn’t until I finished university that a friend told me she used an epilator on her arms. I bought one and we haven’t parted since.

38. caitlin responded on 12 Jul 2011 at 6:56 am #

Hilarious!

39. SaraJo responded on 08 Sep 2011 at 12:40 am #

Yeah i am one of those girls who is super picky about hair :P like most girls i had super hairy arms and i hated it when i would wear a bracelet it would pinch it GROSS but in 7th grade i shaved my arms never went back i don’t mind shaving because i shave my legs everynight i hate prickles and my toes got dad’s feet so yeah yay….
    and when i was a freshman in highschool a guy said he hates arm hair on girls made me feel alittle better and i didn’t mean to but my friends noticed and stuff and started to as well they like it too smooth and not gross monkey arms anymore and it took my mom 6 years to notice she at first didn’t like it but then was like hey you seem ok so i’m ok

everyone makes a big deal about it like its gross its my opinion really right they hate it but would they let their legs get hairy nope but since its a more visable thing its bad? idk idc

40. Why would any lady choose to shave her pubic hair or from under her armpits? | Attract Pheromones responded on 28 Sep 2011 at 12:21 am #

[...] #split {}#single {}#splitalign {margin-left: auto; margin-right: auto;}#singlealign {margin-left: auto; margin-right: auto;}.linkboxtext {line-height: 1.4em;}.linkboxcontainer {padding: 7px 7px 7px 7px;background-color:#eeeeee;border-color:#000000;border-width:0px; border-style:solid;}.linkboxdisplay {padding: 7px 7px 7px 7px;}.linkboxdisplay td {text-align: center;}.linkboxdisplay a:link {text-decoration: none;}.linkboxdisplay a:hover {text-decoration: underline;} function opensingledropdown() { document.getElementById('singletablelinks').style.display = ''; document.getElementById('singlemouse').style.display = 'none'; } function closesingledropdown() { document.getElementById('singletablelinks').style.display = 'none'; document.getElementById('singlemouse').style.display = ''; } Reader Question: Pubic Hair & the “Hairlessness Epidemic”Is Shaving Pubic Hair Normal?Body hair is a contentious topic. Do you shave or go au naturel?Off with her pubes! …and the age-old question, “Why don’t you shave your pits?” #NSFW 18+Eat the Damn Cake [...]

41. Kylie responded on 10 Dec 2011 at 2:23 pm #

So, I have a story. First you need to know that all the women in my family, especially my mom, are hairy as balls. Especially on her arms.

My mom teaches religious education to first and second graders. On the first day of class they went through all the normal stuff, and she (obviously) introduced herself to them saying “I’m Mrs. Harrington” all perky like she is. And then one of the kids’ hands shoots up and he asks “DOES THAT MEAN YOU’RE HAIRY?” to which she replied, “YUP! Wanna see?” And proceeded to show him her arms.

42. how get a boy friend responded on 06 Mar 2012 at 11:26 am #

Yes! Finally something about how to get a boy friend.

43. William responded on 17 Mar 2012 at 12:10 pm #

This trend toward hairlessness is really disturbing. It’s like we keep putting women further into this mold that is unnatural and define it as beauty, accept no substitutes!

Personally, I find hairless arms very off-putting. They feel fake, like a mannequin’s. Moreover, shaving arms just draws attention to whatever imperfections you’ve got there–moles, freckles, whatever.

44. Ann responded on 18 Apr 2012 at 10:57 am #

@William:

Bodyhair, particularly underarm and pubic hair, but also on arms and legs, is a secondary sexual signal which defines a woman as being adult and sexually mature. Shaving, which used to be done mainly by prostitutes and whores prior to the mid-20th century (exactly for that reason), was commonly done to appear pre-pubescent and very very young. I can remember my own grandfather commenting to a male friend on a beautiful dancer at an event which was televised “she has wonderful hair on her legs”, which meant “she’s sexy and mature.” As curious as this sounds, but his reaction was eminently sane and proper.

Today we have women who try their very best to look like girls before their menarche. That is sort of ironic, especially as some women believe it makes them more feminine, rather than childlike.

45. Eat the Damn Cake » the toe hair story responded on 08 May 2012 at 12:13 pm #

[...] about those mistakes, if I wanted to make friends and be cool and pretty and not be laughed at. I’d have to start shaving the hair off my toes, maybe.  (OK, it’s true. I’ve done [...]

46. faith responded on 22 Aug 2012 at 8:04 pm #

Hi i need help! Im ten and i shaved my arms! I dont even know how to use a blade! I used my moms and she doesnt know. She didnt notcie, ive been hiding my arms….. Will it grow back? Will it grow back darker and thicker? How long will it take to grow back? Ive cut my hair arms before, about a month a go and they havnt grown, so i decided to cut mre… Only on one arm! Im scared! It feels weird! Please help!

47. Phoebe responded on 10 Sep 2012 at 6:19 pm #

A story about unwanted hair …

During a car pool when I was like 8 or 9, my friend at the time made note that I had a bit of a moustache.

I had noticed it before, and had talked to my mom about it, and she had given me a very good talk about how I could consider waxing it when I was older, but that I was a little too young to be worrying about it at that point.

So I regurgitated what my mom said, telling her that it was normal and because of hormones, and many girls had them. I pointed out that she had a bit of a moustache too, it just wasn’t noticeable because she was blonde.

She immediately turned to her mom and asked if this was true. Her mom looked back at us uncertainly for a moment. It was very very clear that her daughter had a little blonde moustache. She paused and then said “No, sweetie, you don’t have a moustache.”

I don’t think I’ve ever forgiven that lady.

48. Jeff responded on 09 Feb 2013 at 6:14 pm #

I’m glad you finally realized that having hair on your arms is no big deal. As a matter of fact, as i am one of them, you’d be pleasantly surprised at the amount of men that love and are turned on by girls with hair on their arms. I’m not even close to kidding. Do research on the internet if you don’t believe me. There are actually sites devoted to this. Also, if a person takes the time to notice it at all they’re generally turned on and/or intrigued by it, not put off. I think it’s such an unbelievably sexy thing on gals. Now, don’t get me wrong, i’m not talking about looking like Robin Williams or anything. I just mean a normal, or little more than average amount of hair on your arms. Smooth arms on gals are actually a turn off, at least for me. It looks fake. I’m seriously not kidding. I love it, and so do MANY men.