Waiting for the A cup revolution

It’s a revolution out there! Or so I hear. Women with small breasts are taking over the world! Cosmo told me so. Or maybe it was Glamour. I can’t keep these magazines straight. The New York Times told me so. Everything is changing. Within a week or two, Christina Hendricks will be getting reduction surgery. She’ll ask her surgeon, “How small can you make them? Can we go down to a double A?”

“But Christina… your career…”

“JUST DO IT!”

Every time I go bra shopping, I write a post about it. It’s like I can’t even help myself. Because every time feels like a revelation. When I was fitted for a strapless bra to go under my wedding gown, the saleswoman was very impressed with my maid of honor’s breasts. She measured me at a B and, losing interest, left me to fend for myself. Sort of like how the runt gets abandoned sometimes while the healthy cubs gobble up all the resources. My tiny voice from the darkened corner of the cavernous dressing room shook a little when I cried, “Can anyone help me find a bra? A bra for my wedding? I’m so cold…”

Since then, I’ve hesitated to buy another. But since I got my last practical bra at Victoria’s Secret, it is tattered and threadbare and managing to flip itself inside out while being worn, and just being all kinds of cheaply made in general.

(I’ve never had a bra that looks like this. Mine are always boring colors. source)

I’ve gained some weight since I last went bra shopping. My breasts are a little bigger. They look huge to me. I stare at them all the time. I catch myself pushing them together with the sides of my arms. You know, just casually, while I’m talking with people. At a nice restaurant, across the table.  I’m pushing my boobs together a little and glancing down to see if it’s working and then grinning triumphantly. It’s all very subtle.

So naturally, I thought that when I finally bought a new bra, I’d get refitted, just for fun, and the saleswoman would say, “Oh my! Double C! What excellent breasts you have!” Double C? I have no idea how big sizes work.

Instead, she said, “Well, let’s try a B, but I’m thinking A will work better.”

And, shockingly, A did work better. The A cup bras I tried on looked like they maybe fit. Their massive wads of padding made it look like my breasts stuck out a lot farther than they do. There were only four or five bras in the store in my size. They were all padded.

I bought one. I went home. I felt as though I’d been demoted. How had I been mistaken for a B cup for so long? How were my breasts at their plumpest unable to break through to a mere B? I palmed them doubtfully. I asked them, “What’s the deal? I thought you were big now!” They were silent and mysterious.

I’ve never minded having small breasts. They are really only brought to my attention in a negative way when the world tells me just how small they are. Because when the world tells me, it likes to add that small is bad. It makes its point with lots and lots of padding. Because you NEED padding, it whispers. You WISH that your breasts were bigger. We can help you with that….It makes its point with the walls covered with other, bigger, sizes. You’re ABNORMAL, it murmurs. I’m sorry to be the one to tell you, but there are only FOUR other women in this city with breasts as small as yours. And no one loves them. Christina Hendricks feels sorry for me. I know she does. She’s a curvy role model who the women Esquire keeps in their basement voted Sexiest Woman in the World. When is a woman ever called a role model for having little breasts? Breast augmentations, we’re told constantly, are more and more popular. Because it needs to be fixed.

I don’t want to be fixed. I don’t even want to be a cup size. I just want to be a woman with awesome, soft, interesting, and fun breasts. And I am. An A cup woman.

So really, what I want to know, is now that I’m an A cup, where’s my revolution?

(Clearly, a real revolution doesn’t require any bras at all! source)

Un-roast: Today I love the way my legs feel in soft, loose cloth pants. The yoga revolution has been a lot better for me than the A cup one. At least I get some pants that really fit out of it.

New post at Un-schooled, about my little brother going to school. Deserter!

This post appears on Huffpo here.

Kate on February 7th 2011 in beauty, body

65 Responses to “Waiting for the A cup revolution”

1. Kerry responded on 07 Feb 2011 at 11:44 am #

My fingers are tripping over themselves to comment on this post.

THANK YOU for pointing out that nearly all A-cup bras come with ridiculous padding. I hate padding in my bra. In fact, I hate underwire in my bra too. A while back I found a comfortable, underwire-less non-padded bra from VS and bought about a million of them (in all boring colors, mind you!)

And I love that you say you want “fun” breasts. That’s the spirit!

2. Christin@purplebirdblog responded on 07 Feb 2011 at 11:50 am #

“Because you NEED padding, it whispers. You WISH that your breasts were bigger. We can help you with that…”

I feel similarly to shoes with giant heels. I am close to 5’10” and wear a size 11 shoe. Now tell me… if I’m tall enough to wear an 11, why in the bloody hell do I want shoes with a 6 inch heel on them? (Nothing against tall women who like to wear crazy tall heels. Not my bag.) My boyfriend is 6′, so wearing shoes with crazy heels make me taller than him, which I don’t like. Maybe if I were dating an NBA player? If there is one thing I can say for Paris Hilton (did I really just type that?), its that her ginormous feet brought into light that some of us normal folks also have ginormous feet, and the availability of cute shoes in larger sizes has skyrocketed in recent years, and I’m even able to find some on occasion that are cute AND flat. Hoorah.

3. Ellen responded on 07 Feb 2011 at 12:07 pm #

Technically, it’s entirely possible for your breasts to have gone down from a B to an A, since the cup measurement formula is so simplistic: breast circumference minus rib-cage circumference equals cup size (okay, so I’m simplifying it even further, but you get the point). So if your rib-cage circumference has gone up more than the breast circumference, the difference would mean a smaller cup…
    Anyway, just a thought. I obviously have no idea if this is at all relevant. It’s just as likely that the old measurement was a mistake. : ) I have 34E/F breasts, and they are a huge pain. I don’t like looking buxom, so I try to minimize their appearance. Not to mention that I’m pretty sure I have chronic back pain because of them… Oh, and how about the fact that bras in sizes above a D cup are much harder to find and are more expensive?? Sigh. Every so often I seriously consider that breast-reduction scenario you mention!

4. anna and the ring responded on 07 Feb 2011 at 12:17 pm #

What I would give for small and humble breasts. Surely there must be pretty bras, you don’t need all the rigging. I’ve found figleaves to be great. Failing that agent provocateur, obviously.

(Enormoboobs are no better for pretty bras – they even try and put more padding in those too!)

5. Kate responded on 07 Feb 2011 at 12:21 pm #

@Ellen
    I’ve never managed to learn the formula. But it’s true that my bras have always been too big.

6. B1 responded on 07 Feb 2011 at 12:23 pm #

I’ve struggled with this all my life, however I fared better than some of my sisters. Being half Japanese, we were doomed from the get go. I gained weight, and lost cup size too. Also, depending on where you go to get measured depends on what they will tell you. I think most have changed their measuring style to above the breast to determine the measurement of 36 and then they measure the fullness to determine the difference which then gives you cup size. I just know that I hate buying new bras too and I can SO feel your post!

un-roast – I like the saying, ‘more than a mouthful is a waste’ where breasts are concerned because mine are just right. ;-)

7. LIT responded on 07 Feb 2011 at 12:41 pm #

Oh… to be able to go bra-less (sigh!). My 38F can make the most innoculous top/dress appear vulgar. Halters? Out of the question. Strapless? Only a full corset can keep these suckers up. Strangers (men and women) have no shame staring- and sometimes even asking how big they are. Don’t get me wrong- I (mostly) love my boobs- when they’re not causing problems. They are a hassle and they’re ALWAYS in the way! As for curvy women “feeling sorry for you”- we do not! We’re too busy wondering how to keep our boobs off our belly. And being jealous of the cute clothes that you can wear.

Un-roast: I love my size 11 feet- they give me a firm foundation to stand on!

8. Krystina responded on 07 Feb 2011 at 12:54 pm #

I love this post. Mostly because I hate to go bra shopping. They are too expensive and even when I did get fitted the darn thing stopped fitting after a couple washes. I don’t know what I do to my bras because they just don’t seem to hold up. What about sports bras? I love it when I go horse back riding or to a zumba class and have the dreaded uni-boob. Awsome. I just want an afordable, comfortable bra.

9. JJgal responded on 07 Feb 2011 at 12:56 pm #

If the bigger-boobed could donate a portion of their breasts to us less-endowed ladies, it would all even out – everyone would be the perfect size and be happy right? Not a chance. For one thing, we would all look the same in that area. How boring is that? And for another, we’d find something else to try to “improve” because the world (magazines? media?) tells us we should/need to. Mine are not ideal – newsflash! most women’s arent! And what defines ideal, anyway?
    Un-roast: I love that I didn’t do a darn thing to my hair today and it still managed to look “okay” – good, even.

10. darryn responded on 07 Feb 2011 at 12:58 pm #

I have small breasts too. Just thought I would stand in solidarity.

11. Lilli responded on 07 Feb 2011 at 1:22 pm #

i’m afraid i can’t help you here, Kate… i have 36 D/DD breats, and i’m only sixteen, i can’t bear to imagine what they’ll be like if i ever have children. As for having smaller breasts, i wouldn’t mind mine to be smaller, solely because one CAN go bra-less, doesn’t flop out of bikinis and, as you put it, has much more ‘fun’ breasts.
    We allways want what we can’t have though, or at least what we can’t have without a VERY expensive, risky, painful, needle involving procedure :/

12. Meri responded on 07 Feb 2011 at 1:32 pm #

I’ve got some teeny little As. I love them, I really do. I don’t think there has been a single point in my life that I’ve wanted larger tatas. A rounder bum? sure! Less scrawny calves? you bet. But as I frolic through my home in my threadbare t-shirt with no bra, and whip off my stupid underwire bra after work without one care about sagging, I am content.

Maybe I should be the one to push this revolution forward.
    Holla!
    Meri
    merigoesround.blogspot.com

13. Mandy responded on 07 Feb 2011 at 1:37 pm #

I’ve always been a little envious of women who were small enough to go without a bra.
    Don’t misunderstand me–like my size D “girls” a lot, but they do require support–underwires being a requirement, not a choice. And when I jog? I gotta strap them up like astronauts before a launch.
    For me, bra shopping has its own frustrations: I can’t just snap up the lacy little nothings that populate most of Macy’s womens’ intimates section…I have to choose my bras for function first, and looks second. And the prettiest bras only seem to come in sizes A-C. Anybody larger is just SOL. And, yes, Ann is right–bra manufacturers still try to put padding in the larger sized bras. I think they’re obsessed with keeping the outline of our nipples from showing through the fabric. I mean, heaven forbid anyone should know that we’re cold!
    And, at 44, while my girls are still reasonably perky, gravity is starting to make its presence felt. I don’t want to think about what they’ll look like in about 20 years…
    Anyway, enough whining. Most of the time, I like my breasts, even if the care and feeding thereof can get annoying.
    And, all joking aside, you seem to like yours, too. I’m not sure who said this first, but I think I read it on Dear Abby–no one can make you feel inferior without your permission.
    Enjoy the fact that you can leave the house without having to wear a band of industrial strength elastic around your rib cage, and over your shoulders.

Unroast: I love the way I look in short hair and dangly earrings.

14. Ashley responded on 07 Feb 2011 at 1:54 pm #

I’ll also take my 32B without padding. I love them and I wouldn’t trade them for Christina’s any day. I actually kind of feel sorry for her, she has to lug those things around all day, must be hard on her back.

15. Alii Silverwing responded on 07 Feb 2011 at 2:04 pm #

I’m an amazon, 6ft+, so I can’t find anything that actually fits my breasts.

My two worst things to try and find are white blouses and coats. Everything designed for my height assumes a-cups (*thumbs up*) or an all-over ‘nother hundred pounds (*also thumbs up*). Every place that I’ve shopped assumes that when you get taller your boobs don’t get larger. They magically stay the same ‘c’ as all smaller-rib-cage ‘c’s.

I also hate padded bras. They fit weird (even if they’re the right size) and force my boobs up over the top of the bra until I have the double-boob thing going on. I don’t like having my bra not do it’s job, and it’s really distracting and happens more when I’m active. I can’t both have shoved-up boobs and be active, so maybe that’s significant?

16. zoe (and the beatles) responded on 07 Feb 2011 at 2:13 pm #

this is kind of funny because, usually, all the women i see in magazines like cosmo and glamour and even esquire have small breasts (with the exception of the gorgeous ms. hendricks, of course!) i don’t find it to be a bad thing but i do find it making me feel uneasy about the size of my breasts (34 D). they’re big and i don’t feel “normal”. for some reason bras bigger than a C are usually all hideous and boring. shirts never fit right. if i wear low cut shirts it’s impossible for my breasts not to be talked to instead of my face. they’re always the center of attention. i would kill to not have to wear a bra and not sad. but, alas, i am stuck wearing ugly, overly padded bras because, for some reason, us bigger chested ladies just really *need* that padding. clearly. ugh. i’m not sure if it really matters what size boobs you have — we’re all uncomfortable with our own pair.

17. Holly responded on 07 Feb 2011 at 2:15 pm #

I kinda miss having small boobs. It was nice to be able to dance wildly without chestal reverberations, and run recreationally without paying a $60 entrance fee for a helpful bra, and walk around in the morning without putting on a bra back on first. Anyways, I’ll revolt with the A-cuppers whenever that takes off.

18. Kate responded on 07 Feb 2011 at 2:20 pm #

@Zoe
    It IS funny. It’s a huge mixed message, in a way. But also, I notice that a lot of very very thin models in magazines and on billboards and in commercials have unusually round, full breasts. Probably a lot of digital enhancement going on there.

19. rachel responded on 07 Feb 2011 at 2:25 pm #

Kate, you’re really a B cup. I’ve seen it with my own eyes ;-)

The trouble is, stores sell bras for bigger women, based on over all girth, not actual breast size. A 32B bra has the same cup as a 34A, but most stores are more likely to carry a 34A. Both will fit your breasts, but the A cup will be looser around your rib cage, putting more pressure on the straps.

I hate bra shopping. (but bikini shopping is even worse) It’s obvious that the sales people are more interested in having you buy something than giving you something that fits. The last time I got fitted, the sales woman tighten the straps so much that they dug in, and insisted that the four-boob effect of the too small cups was sexy.

20. Dana Udall-Weiner responded on 07 Feb 2011 at 2:41 pm #

Sounds like you’ve started a revolution–count me in!

21. B1 responded on 07 Feb 2011 at 2:53 pm #

I’m really enjoying reading all of the additional comments!

I think we should all post on our facebook/myspace accounts something like “A cup revolt!” and send an email to all of our female friends with a link to this blog, so that they can read and then post their revolt too.

It would make many question what the heck we’re all talking about and then it will make Kate’s blog go virual.

22. 2girlsonabench responded on 07 Feb 2011 at 3:03 pm #

One of us is an A and one of us is a C, you can imagine how often that has come up in our 18 years of friendship. Mostly we just say things like “you can wear this, I can’t” and hand clothes back and forth. We can’t believe you talked about breasts without mentioning Katy Perry, we thought that was a requirement, we dare you to find anything online, on tv or anywhere that doesn’t mention her and her endowment 10 times.

23. Hannah responded on 07 Feb 2011 at 4:53 pm #

I’m a 32 A and it used to drive me crazy. Well meaning friends would tell me that they weren’t “that small”, often out of the blue. That, and then tell me how lucky I was. But now I like them, even if they aren’t that big. Bra shopping still stinks, since I feel like an impostor in a land of big breasted women, but then I remember that I’m as every bit of a woman as they are, no matter my size, and go off to lounge braless and watch cartoons. I’ve finally realized that it’s kind of cool to be me, small boobs and all, and even if my large breasted friends still think I need to be comforted about them, that really says more about them than it does about me.

24. Heather responded on 07 Feb 2011 at 4:56 pm #

Another one here from the other side of the spectrum- they are not always fun, I’m frequently self-conscious about cleavage, whether I’m giving off a sexy vibe when I don’t want to, and it can definitely be uncomfortable, so I’d be pretty excited if mine had gone down a size. Or if I could wear the majority of my dresses without feeling the need for a cardigan or a layering shirt underneath. BUT, as much as I can complain, I’ve made some piece with them throughout the years, and I like that my general shape is an hourglass.

25. Heather responded on 07 Feb 2011 at 4:57 pm #

oh dear, I used the wrong peace and now feel terrible. Correct spelling/word choice is near and dear to my heart.

26. Eliza responded on 07 Feb 2011 at 5:11 pm #

I wear a 36B bra, and since I’m over 5’9 and have a pretty wide ribcage that translates to little boobies. I actually love having small boobs. For one thing, I have tons of low-cut tops and dresses that I wouldn’t be able to wear if I had bigger boobs. Also, an off-the-rack sports bra is plenty to keep things from being painful when I go running. And hey, I think little boobs are cute.

Incidentally, I have a close friend who wears a 32D bra (she’s TINY with huge boobs) and she always complains about how her boobs aren’t big enough. Huh?

27. Sal responded on 07 Feb 2011 at 5:52 pm #

I’m on the other end of the spectrum, I have larger breasts and find myself wishing they were smaller. I’ve had my size changed about six times in the past year, as no one really seems to know what size I am.

I think we should all agree that bras and the sizing of them is a cruel trick played on us, and the scale doesn’t make sense. How can a double A be smaller than an A if a double D is bigger than a D?

Unroast: Today I love my eyes and the way I’ll often catch my boyfriend staring at them.

28. Anna @ DiaryFFA responded on 07 Feb 2011 at 6:16 pm #

I’ve had breasts since I was 8 or 9. Even post 100 plus pound weight loss I am a 34D. It’s seriously not anything that it is cracked up to be. You look one way on the outside, but when that bra comes off…they go tumbling down. Men say they prefer natural breasts, but what they really mean are natural breasts that defy aging, and gravity. I can not imagine not having them, but I do know I have struggled many times my femininity being so tied to them.

29. Helen responded on 07 Feb 2011 at 6:17 pm #

I am not flat-chested by any means, but the last time I went bra shopping, one brand/style struck me with its use of padding. It claimed to have a customized padding system based on cup size from a “gentle lift” in the D-cup I was trying on, to a solid hemisphere of padding for A.
    It was ridiculous; the whole array seemed to be specifically designed to prey on everyone’s insecurities.

30. Kate responded on 07 Feb 2011 at 6:40 pm #

@Mandy
    “strap them up like astronauts before a launch.” You are awesome.

31. Kate responded on 07 Feb 2011 at 6:42 pm #

@B1
    Please make my blog go viral. I will love you forever.

But seriously, a revolution really is in order. It’s amazing how everyone can simultaneously be made to feel bad about what they have. I mean, doesn’t someone have to have “the perfect body”? No, of course not.

I watched a documentary about models in which they’re all standing around insulting themselves.

Makes me want to yell. Really loudly.

32. Kate responded on 07 Feb 2011 at 6:43 pm #

@Heather
    It’s totally fine. I once started a post by spelling “vial” as “vile.” It was up forever before I noticed it. I like to think that on the internet stuff like this counts a lot less. Everyone knows we’re typing fast and have other places to be :)

33. Kate responded on 07 Feb 2011 at 6:50 pm #

It always interests me how many women with big breasts comment on my posts about breasts. It makes me feel like a lot of my readers have big breasts, for one. (Apparently a lot of you use Diva Cups, too.) Or maybe women with big breasts are just more vocal about breasts? I need a sociologist over here!

It also provides me with a totally different perspective, and makes it clear that we should probably keep having conversations like this one, because they never fail to point out the arbitrariness of the ways in which we’re taught to experience our own bodies.

34. Jillian responded on 07 Feb 2011 at 7:13 pm #

I have a huge ribcage (thanks, Dad, for giving me your huge healthy bone structure) but my breasts are small. I’m a 38B. Finding 38B bras can be really difficult. Most stores only seem to carry to a 36B… I can wear those with a bra extender, but they never feel quite right. And when I do find 38B’s, they’re often only in white/beige (yuck) and padded (double yuck). In some brands, I actually need a 40B (anyone else notice the advertised band length of bras shrinking?) and those are even harder to come by. 40A gives me cup overflow and creates the dreaded double boob under my clothes. Bras are overall just really frustrating and someday I’ll probably eschew them completely just out of spite.

Seeing all the other comments… it seems NONE of us actually like having to find holsters for our mammaries. It makes me sad. It’s something millions of women in the modern world do every single day– why ISN’T the market such that we can all have an enjoyable experience? You’d think we’d have this all figured out by now to make it as pleasant as possible for as many of us as possible.

35. Corny responded on 07 Feb 2011 at 7:21 pm #

B cup but possibly A–I haven’t been measured in a while.

It really bugs me how I can’t get clothes that fit ME specifically. I’m tall. Okay. Would it kill you to produce a skirt that, while cute on a 5’3″ girl, makes me look like I should be on a street corner? Also, just because I’m tall doesn’t mean I’m a stick. I have boobs (minimal) and hips (not so minimal). I also have shoulders and stomach and arms and legs and collarbone and neck and everything everyone has! So could it maybe fit me for once?

(That said, I’m 5’10″ and wear a size 12 shoe. When I was a 3rd grade in an 8, 5th in a 10, 6th in 11th, I thought it was pretty cool. Shortly after this I found out that I can’t spend my entire life wearing converse.)(Incidentally, I have to wear GUY’S converse for the size.)

Un-roast: I love confusing people at the roller rink when they find out how big my feet are.

36. MWN responded on 07 Feb 2011 at 8:18 pm #

One of your earlier posts really inspired me to take advantage of my small boobs and STOP WEARING BRAS. At least, not to wear them all the time. It started out just with certain dresses, and then when I am alone in my room, and then at the gym (in dark-colored shirts), and now I’m sitting at work feeling quite free and fairly unselfconscious about it.

37. Kate responded on 07 Feb 2011 at 8:24 pm #

@MWN
    That’s awesome. I actually stopped wearing a bra for a few of the warmer months, due in part because of the comments on other posts about breasts and bras. Winter is harder, though…(pun sort of intended?)

38. Michelle responded on 07 Feb 2011 at 10:02 pm #

I’m one of the larger breasted women. I go back and forth between hating them and being all-right-ish with them – I’m 5’2″ with 34G boobs. I got pissed the other day because I was bra shopping (online – bras in my size are expensive, like $60-80, so I go get fitted & then take notes on the bras/brands that are comfy and find them online for cheaper :P ) and I saw several bras in my size that were clearly padded all to hell. Seriously, people? Do you really think that I want my boobs to look *bigger*?

I don’t need a push up bra either – in a push up bra, I’ve got cleavage up to my chin. No bueno.

Bah, and don’t get me started on swimsuits either. Pretty much my only option is to find those retro-looking swimsuits with built in bras (but on the plus side, I don’t have to worry about getting a brazilian, and then I can rock the Christina Hendricks look!)

39. Liz responded on 07 Feb 2011 at 10:27 pm #

Kate,

I have finally, as of this summer at 38 years old, decided that I love my small breasts! During both of my pregnancies, before I gained much weight in other places, I had huge breasts (for me – size D). I’ll tell you what, I think it’s hard work having big boobs. I thought they were beautiful (mostly), but they got in my way. I couldn’t run as comfortably. I didn’t like the way they rubbed my arms when I walked, I didn’t like the way I suddenly felt like I needed to wear different cut shirts, and it just didn’t feel right for my body type (until I gained more pregnancy weight). I was excited when those babies went bye bye. Sometimes I wish they were a little bigger when I’m wearing a bikini, but hey, at least I don’t have to worry about them falling out–Nothing wrong with small breasts!

P.S. I was once told they don’t make bras for my size. I have 31 inch measurement. Apparantly adult sizes start at 32. What am I do to with that information?

P.S.S. I recently tried on the most padded Victoria Secrets bra that I’ve ever seen (for fun) and I looked RIDICULOUS!!

Unroast: I love my profile today. I think I look both strong and feminine from that angle.

40. Ivy responded on 07 Feb 2011 at 11:06 pm #

Another small breasted lady here! I’m a 32B and I’ve always hated how often my options were super-padded or a teenager-ish training bra. It’s getting a little better now…but not always.

I still remember one site, where some woman went off about how some store was marketing sexy small-sized bras and she was horrified that they were selling lingerie like that to teens. She just kept insisting that it was for teens still growing, despite many of us pointing out that there are plenty of fully grown adults with smaller breasts who might appreciate a chance to have some nice sexy bras once in a while. That’s the part that has always bugged me, I think, the way small breasts are often (particularly in media) used as a sort of visual short-hand to indicate youth or immaturity.

41. Luyi responded on 07 Feb 2011 at 11:20 pm #

I’ve never officially gone bra shopping before. I don’t really need to… the tiniest fruit of the loom cotton workout “bras” are fine for me. For my entire life I’ve thought that my chest is as flat as a 12 year old boy’s, but then the other day I tried on one of my 8 year old brother’s shirts and much to my dismay, it fit perfectly. So I guess I officially have the chest of an 8 year old boy. It’s okay though. I don’t even think about my breasts for the most part, and it’s more convenient when I don’t ever have to worry about them.

42. Tabs responded on 08 Feb 2011 at 12:32 am #

There’s this great documentary called Breasts. (Here!!) You should see it. There’s also one about penises, by the same people, called Private Dicks. – But, sidenote, when I searched for it on Amazon, I just got an eyeful of about 1,000 things I never wanted to see. Like, glues for lifting your boobs. Or books that apparently just consist of photos of lady-titties. …

Anyway, this whole subject area is hard for me. I personally feel like breasts are SUPER fetishized. I mean, it’s fucking creepy that you can’t talk to people without them staring at your boobs. – I know I struggled myself with the size of my own boobs. I have only sisters, so that was always a fun topic! A lot of comparison goes on with, you’re so lucky b/c of this! And you b/c of that! – Personally, with my C/D’s (compact discs!), I go braless all the time. But I also don’t shave anything, so I might not be a good person to comment on these things. I don’t give much of a fuck (pardon my language) about what other people think about what I think.

Well. That’s a lie. I do. But I try hard not to. :)

43. Me responded on 08 Feb 2011 at 1:39 am #

When picking my plastic surgeon as part of filling out my BC treatment team, I rejected the one who said, “you could go bigger”

44. Erika @ Health and Happiness in LA responded on 08 Feb 2011 at 4:50 am #

A cups UNITE!

45. Phoebe responded on 08 Feb 2011 at 6:13 am #

I’m 15 and have never been measured and fitted, I probably will one day but at the moment I’m content with wearing what feels right.

I’m a huge fan of this blog! Oh and also Home-educated/unschooled (woop! woop!)

Un-roast…. Today I love how messy my hair is when I get up in the morning…It’s like a haystack!!

46. Siggi responded on 08 Feb 2011 at 9:01 am #

Always been a smallish B, except when pregnant or a new mom.

Un-roast: couldn’t be happier with my saggy, droopy breasts; they’ve fed three healthy, happy children!

47. Erin responded on 08 Feb 2011 at 10:40 am #

I love my breasts (most of the time). It’s only when I gain weight that I really pay attention to them cause they don’t seem to fit in my bras the same. I used to want smaller breasts and sometimes see a cute shirt that wouldn’t look that good on me because of the tatas. I’ve never been fitted but I’m somewhere in the c/d range.
    My mom says she doesn’t know where I got them from since hers aren’t as large as mine :) .

48. 32A responded on 08 Feb 2011 at 10:52 am #

I had so much fun reading this! I am a 32A and honestly, I still want them bigger. And I use pads. And I do everything to make them look bigger. Sucks but that is the truth.

49. Kate responded on 08 Feb 2011 at 11:05 am #

@32A
    Hey, I’m not judging– I got a nose job :)
    It’s hard not to want your body to be different when it doesn’t fit some ideal that keeps getting promoted at you everywhere you look. Also, we learn very quickly that the ideal looks “better.” And it’s hard to change that. And ultimately, if you want to wear padding, so what? As long as you don’t take the bra off, look down, and hate yourself.

50. Steffi responded on 08 Feb 2011 at 11:20 am #

36DDD — hate it beyond all imagining … but, I have to say, a good bra fitter (Nordstrom, thank you!) saves the day. It’s true, as an earlier poster said, that large size bras are limited and v. expensive. I rarely pay less than $50 (usually more) for a bra, but there are companies (Wacoal, Chantelle, to name two) that do a good job with large size bras. Still …. a C cup would be Nirvana!

51. Sona responded on 08 Feb 2011 at 11:30 am #

I just realized that once I stopped shopping at Victoria Secret, my bras stopped having unnecessary padding. Yes, it’s a lot of money, but I tend to buy La Perla’s cheaper brands and Simone Perele. Simone Perele bras are so comfortable, and they have smaller and bigger sizes. You wear your bras everyday, so if you were to calculate the cost over the number of days you use it (versus a dress you can only wear during non-work hours), it is so very, very worth it.

Plus I don’t buy lingerie, I just buy really fancy bras and underwear ;) .

52. Amber responded on 08 Feb 2011 at 6:07 pm #

I seem to notice that smaller boobs are recognized as being more desirable and are more marketed towards. I don’t really see a whole lot of models with big boobs and when I go shopping, shirts and tops are mostly made for smaller girls. I flip-flop between loving my 36C some days, and other days wishing I was a small B-cup. Partly because my boobs limit my choice of clothing and lots of shirts that I think are cute are made for the flat-chested (really frustrating when I can’t find shirts I like that accommidate my boobs) and it’s annoying to go running. I only get one clothes magazine that uses women with larger boobs, so I tend to buy from them because I know that their clothing will fit me, unlike clothing from other companies. Personally, I think smaller boobs are perceived more attractive, but that’s just my two cents.

53. jessica responded on 08 Feb 2011 at 10:19 pm #

I’m a 32 B and love my little ones! They never get in the way while running or doing yoga and they look cute in little strappy tank tops ;-) I think women are beautiful in every size but I am really thankful for the convenience and comfort that comes with smaller ones.

54. Stacy responded on 09 Feb 2011 at 10:26 am #

If only we could all find a bra (large or small) as supportive as the comments here :)

55. Kate responded on 09 Feb 2011 at 10:58 am #

@Stacy
    That is the cutest comment ever.

56. Haley h responded on 10 Feb 2011 at 12:04 pm #

Hopefully the new revolution will be for the love of all breasts regardless of size. There are perks (haha) with big or small.

57. Eat the Damn Cake » How did my butt get this big? responded on 15 Feb 2011 at 10:52 am #

[...] breasts got bigger (though, as I mentioned before, not enough to bust through to the next cup size), my belly got bigger. There were certain little clingy dresses that suddenly looked embarrassing. [...]

58. jstolk responded on 22 Feb 2011 at 2:00 am #

I love my girls, but lord do they cause problems. At work, while wearing an adorable cami under a sweater, I noticed my boss covertly tugging her (not low cut) shirt up while I was talking to our landscapers. I looked down and notice that my cami had slipped down a bit and the twins were nicely displaying themselves for the world to see. Luckily a quick rebuttoning of my cardi solved that problem, but even the least low cut shirts are low cut for me. But I love ‘em (as does the hubs who is “not a boob man”), they’re soft, look good in sweaters, and on occasion their refusal to stay below the neckline of shirts can be a good thing.

Also, a note to all my well endowed sister: Layne Bryant has AMAZING bras in a whole variety of styles, some without underwires, and even without the extra padding AND they come in beautiful/ sexy colors and designs as well as the basics. They’re not too expensive and they offten have bogo 1/2 sales and clearence on them.

59. Mary responded on 25 Feb 2011 at 3:34 pm #

Have you been to the NYTimes mentioned Journelle? Seriously, they were chosen for a reason. This place has darling bralettes, sweet little underwire numbers (check out Timpa) and loads of other goodies designed to make you feel proud of whatever God gave you. The website is also awesome, and you can call pretty much any time during business hours to ask your most ridiculous questions. (and I’m full of them.) Anybody else try this place out?

60. Where is our Revolution? responded on 06 Jan 2012 at 12:51 pm #

Oh how I adore this post. Thank you for having the courage to speak out about this issue. I am tired of having to purchase training bras intended for pubescent girls because I can’t find a bra in my size that isn’t padded to such an extent it could be considered bulletproof. I am a grown ass woman and simply because I don’t have breasts the size of Mount McKinley, doesn’t meant that I don’t wish to feel sexy as well. Before I pass away, I would love to own just one bra in my actual size that is sexy, lacy, feminine and not padded in away way shape or form. Would it kill bra manufacturers to make a sexy a-cup bra without underwire as well? I know, I’m quite the dreamer. We need to make our voices heard fellow a-cups….

61. Eat the Damn Cake » lingerie shopping with Bear responded on 14 Feb 2012 at 11:33 am #

[...] “Not A?” [...]

62. a 30DDD responded on 08 Sep 2012 at 3:24 am #

Since breasts are so fetishized, I think a lot of women aren’t sure how to ask for sizing or to size themselves, so we end up with a l

63. jamie responded on 12 Sep 2012 at 9:33 pm #

Jamie its my first bigger size bra-and i feel heavy is because i was born with smaller booies. but when i got other i started declined my bra sizes i dont know they just want fit me..) i wish i was still in a smaller size kind of not to show off or anything though

64. Lindsay responded on 13 Oct 2013 at 7:24 pm #

I’m a A / B cup that can’t feel confident about my breast.I think that all the things people say about it are lies to make us feel better, like we do about guys whith undersized dicks :P . Some nonsense “feel good”myths debunkted:
    -” small don’t sag”: they do, and it looks worse than big ones, they become little empty bags.
    - ” don’t get anwanted atention”: obvious, you just get less atention ( anwanted and wanted!).Beautiful people always get anwanted atention , deal whith it.
    - “”you can do whithout a bra”: in fact no woman need a bra, maybe just those with enourmous boobs when exercising. Also, whith really small boobs we ALWAYS need bras ( paded) to make them look more normal.
    - “some man prefer small…”: they lie.In fact, some prefer butts so they setle for small busted woman but dream whith big/normal sized ones. Others associated big boobs whith fat girls but would love to have a skinny girl whith MEDIUM size boobs, not small.There are also the ones who really prefer small breast but thins kind of man lust about (arght!) 10 years old girls , if you know what I mean …

65. A Cup Revolution responded on 11 Feb 2014 at 8:42 am #

A Cup Revolution, love it. Sick of society’s pressures and fake standards..so skinny women have been idealised for ages and now thicker/curvier women are getting praised and accepted now which is great for them but where’s the revolution for A cups?????? A cups despite how skinny or thick you happen to be everywhere else! Real beauty all round that’s where it’s at. I’m tired and impatient waiting on more acceptance and celebration of ALL REAL BODY TYPES to happen.