life, with more sunlight

I read Dooce for the first time, after reading the Times Magazine article about her and some other incredibly famous women bloggers. I was a little hurt that no one mentioned me. But then I figured out why they hadn’t. I figured out why I don’t get a million hits a day. It’s because I don’t have enough pictures on my blog. All of the really famous bloggers have these gorgeous, sunshiny photos of their kids and their decor and the glittering new stainless steel kitchen that all that sponsor money got them.

So I’m going to make a real effort to change, beginning with this post. I’ve switched the setting on my camera to one that washes everything in white light. I’m also planning on having some kids really soon.

This is what my life looks like right now. Please try not to get too jealous.

That’s my couch.

My dishwasher. It doesn’t work that well. It leaves sticky clumps of stuff that was probably once food on everything. I swear, it’s not just because I don’t rinse things thoroughly before loading them. Bowls by…Martha Stewart, I think. Someone got them for us as a wedding gift.

My table. I got Bear those roses for Valentine’s Day (I also wrote him a letter, of course). The vases are all wedding gifts. So is the bowl. It’s nambe. The tissue box is from Duane Reade.

My PhD student friend, camped out on an air mattress on my floor, grading papers.  A staple of any truly contemporary home interior.

A bottle of insulin syringes (we’re hygeinic! We don’t just leave them on the floor!), sponsored by Poland Spring.

The pan I made breakfast in. Grilled cheese, again.

A bit of my kitchen, sponsored again, as you can see, by Poland Spring. Exclusive, evocative art  by me. Kate Fridkis, the red and orange phase.

Rustic urns from Pottery Barn (wedding gift) and my very comfortable but not very attractive boots. And a cell phone charger that is plugged into this weird outlet that hangs from the doorframe for no good reason. Rug from….I forget. I think maybe Crate and Barrel, though.

Me, thinking about blogging. Garbage pail by Bed Bath & Beyond.

*  *   *

Un-roast: Today I love how brightness makes me feel better.

Kate on February 28th 2011 in life

43 Responses to “life, with more sunlight”

1. bethany actually responded on 28 Feb 2011 at 12:01 pm #

This made me laugh. :-) Thanks!

2. Lillian responded on 28 Feb 2011 at 12:07 pm #

The dishes aren’t your fault. The US regulation have decreased the amount of phosphate allowed in dishwashing detergent. Everyone in the country is having the problem with food particles on their dishes unless they put already cleaned dishes into the dishwasher. The soap sold after July 2010 isn’t as effective.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/articles/another-triumph-greens_536862.html?page=1 A great piece of journalism.

3. B1 responded on 28 Feb 2011 at 12:10 pm #

ROFLMAO!!

4. Kate responded on 28 Feb 2011 at 12:13 pm #

@Lillian
    What! See, this is why I can never stop blogging– I learn all of this random stuff about my life from other people I never otherwise would’ve met.

This was my favorite sentence from the article: “Quiet as a wind’s whisper, the dishes were so clean you could eat off of them.”

Thanks for letting me know!

5. Liz Nord responded on 28 Feb 2011 at 12:15 pm #

When you figure out how to get a million hits a day, please let me in on the secret! :) Seriously, do you think it’s networking, luck, good topics/writing, knowing someone, or what!?! Sometimes I’m really surprised by which posts I’ve published (or other bloggers post)become more popular than others.
    Love your pics!

6. Kate responded on 28 Feb 2011 at 12:16 pm #

@B1
    I understood that without thinking, but there was a time when I wouldn’t have (I am depressingly slow at picking up internet speak). Stuff like this quiz helps: http://www.sporcle.com/games/chatacronyms.php

7. Kate responded on 28 Feb 2011 at 12:21 pm #

@Liz
    Mostly it’s luck. And timing. A lot of the huge bloggers were some of the first people to blog in a serious way. We face a LOT more competition now.

I think writing definitely counts, but mostly you have to be writing about stuff that captures people’s attention. I don’t even think that means picking “good” topics. I think it just means having a voice and a mission that resonate with a particular group of people at a particular time. Like Pioneer Woman, with her romantic cowboy story. It seems like a lot of women fantasize about things that sound like Pioneer Woman’s life. So they want to read her.

8. Jess responded on 28 Feb 2011 at 1:00 pm #

Heeheehee love it. That dress is a great color of yellow, too!

9. bethany actually responded on 28 Feb 2011 at 1:02 pm #

Lillian, thanks for linking that article! So interesting, and explains a lot.

10. Lori responded on 28 Feb 2011 at 1:06 pm #

Don’t be so hard on yourself. Dooce has been blogging for 10 years, and has a software design background. Her husband is also able to manage her blog. She built her readership slowly, but surely – I’ve been reading her for 7 years, actually.

11. Lori responded on 28 Feb 2011 at 1:07 pm #

Oh – I forgot to mention that she’s also 40 (or at least in her late 30s), so she’s had several more years (and much more life experience) to establish herself.

12. Jess responded on 28 Feb 2011 at 1:12 pm #

This is too funny! Thanks for the chuckle :)

13. Kate responded on 28 Feb 2011 at 1:12 pm #

@Lori
    Don’t get me wrong, I think she’s hilarious. And I’m impressed with her blogging accomplishments. Having women like her out there in the blogosphere is pretty encouraging. I feel like there’s this tiny, tiny chance I’ll be pulling in $1mm a year, too, one day (a looong time from now). Which would be insanely cool :)

14. (Relatively)NewReader responded on 28 Feb 2011 at 1:22 pm #

Man, that length looks lovely on you! You are beautiful in that last picture…Also, the garbage pail really completes it.

PS- I love that you use the word “pail”.

15. Julie responded on 28 Feb 2011 at 1:35 pm #

Kate – I love your blog and your sense of humor is priceless!!

16. Kerry responded on 28 Feb 2011 at 1:52 pm #

Kate – let me preface this by stating my profound love for you and this blog but –

of course there’s a but! –

but this post has me scratching my head a little. I get the sarcasm and the joke but it feels a little snarky to me. Not that you aren’t allowed to snark – the majority of my blog is such! But I’d rather first hear a little background on your feelings toward money-making bloggers to get some reference.

Maybe it’s just my enjoyment of Dooce speaking, enjoyment from back when she wasn’t rich and receiving endorsements and was still using a crappy camera :)

17. Johanna responded on 28 Feb 2011 at 2:31 pm #

Love this post!

18. chrissy responded on 28 Feb 2011 at 2:40 pm #

Great post. If you were interviewed for the NYTimes..they would call your pictures “honest”
    Glad I stumbled unto your blog!

19. Raven responded on 28 Feb 2011 at 2:46 pm #

Now see, you can be in a book, too! You should be, anyway. And I’m envious; my house never looks that clean.

20. Kate responded on 28 Feb 2011 at 2:51 pm #

@Raven
    The white light makes everything look cleaner. But if you look closely you can see the edges of the enormous, terrifying mess.

21. Meri responded on 28 Feb 2011 at 3:28 pm #

I really enjoy reading your blog, and maybe it just takes time! Keep it up!
    Meri

22. karen responded on 28 Feb 2011 at 3:59 pm #

Hahaha definitely know what you mean! I just started a blog recently, and when I started thinking about what I wanted my blog to be like, I knew it needed lots of pictures, because most of my favourites have so many fun pictures. It’s tough when your apartment isn’t always the tidiest (like mine). I really enjoy your blog, even without the pictures!

23. Virginia responded on 28 Feb 2011 at 4:45 pm #

AHAHAHAHA. I love this. Those million hit bloggers with the overly stylized lives make me a wee bit crazy! I also don’t get why we’re supposed to be so interested in when Dooce or insert-fancy-blogger-here gets a new washing machine… but color me grouchy, I guess.

24. Mandy responded on 28 Feb 2011 at 6:17 pm #

Kate@
    I like the painting on the wall in your kitchen! The only art I have on my walls is by other people.

Un-roast: I like the way my hair looks today, and the fact that I was able to get it that way with just my hair dryer on low and my fingers…

25. Beth Howard responded on 28 Feb 2011 at 6:38 pm #

Ha ha ha. I read that NYT article too and LOVE your “retaliation” to it. I too felt a pang of envy, but could not have articulated my reaction the way you did. You had me at the couch. BTW, your short hair is adorable. Makes me want to chop off my growing locks. Was doing the low-maintenance thing, cultivating my farm-girl-in-braids look. Do you think short hair might get more blog hits? Just a thought.

26. Corny responded on 28 Feb 2011 at 10:00 pm #

Well, I’ve been touting you to many of my friends in the real world as well as online. (Relevant point: I’m in high school.) A lot of what you have to say applies just as well to teenage girls, and that’s how I found your blog–actually, I’m really not sure of the details, but it involves wandering random links on self-esteemy things. Except this is better than self-esteem. It’s practical and stuff. (Yes. And stuff. I’m in high school; I write good.)

27. Corny responded on 28 Feb 2011 at 10:02 pm #

Greetings. I have returned for a superfluous comment after checking out Dooce’s site. There are too many pictures; it kind of freaks me out. Maybe I read too much, but I’m not good with that many photos.

28. Jo responded on 28 Feb 2011 at 10:02 pm #

That is one sexy dress

29. Ashley responded on 28 Feb 2011 at 10:12 pm #

Yes of one the main guidelines when considering how to get traffic to your site is to post pictures. It doesn’t even have to be of you or your life, it could even be just a random photo that goes with your post. I try to do that on most of my posts, and I also keep a photogallery on flickr of me and random things in my life. I take pics of everything: What I am doing, eating, buying, etc. I call it photoblogging. My boyfriend is always making fun of me because I take pics of the most random things. But it’s fun, and it draws in more people to my site.

30. Wei-Wei responded on 28 Feb 2011 at 10:32 pm #

I love your painting… and your hair.

31. San D responded on 01 Mar 2011 at 12:29 am #

Wahoo! The grilled cheese pan made the photo hit parade!

32. Deanna responded on 01 Mar 2011 at 1:03 am #

A clean, organized house is a sign of a wasted life! My unschooled familly lives in a wonderfullly messy, crazy home. It’s waaaay better than a showplace of unhappiness…
    BTW, super cute dress and haircut!

33. Barbara responded on 01 Mar 2011 at 2:25 am #

Yay! The air mattress made the photo hit parade, too! Nice that it is getting some more use!

34. Dawn responded on 01 Mar 2011 at 4:47 am #

Beautiful dress! The air mattress makes me happy in a way that only a lively household can make me feel. I’ve hit those mega sites once or twice but yours is a place I come to on a daily basis. So…I thank you for material that brings me back time and time again.

35. Melizza responded on 01 Mar 2011 at 6:26 am #

This post was full of awesomeness! Great start to my morning.

36. AlisonM responded on 01 Mar 2011 at 6:37 am #

Brilliant! And I love that you have a PhD student camped out on your floor. We really do make the coolest accessory to modern, inner-city living.

And for what it’s worth, I read your blog because it’s well written and thought provoking. The idea that I would constantly need visual cues to help me understand what a person is talking about is beyond patronizing. And I find they get in the way of my highly intelligent and abstract thought process ;)

For real though, I like substantive content. Pictures, can take ‘em or leave ‘em.

37. Ashley @ Nourishing The Soul responded on 01 Mar 2011 at 9:21 am #

This post made me feel much better about my life… in the best way possible! All those smiling kids and stainless steel can make us fall into the comparison trap. Thanks for being real!

38. Carly Findlay responded on 02 Mar 2011 at 1:03 am #

:) I love the mundane here!

39. Amanda responded on 02 Mar 2011 at 10:41 am #

This is fantastic! I’ve thought that often as well:-)

40. Sally responded on 02 Mar 2011 at 3:01 pm #

If you have problems with your dishwasher getting your dishes clean, you HAVE TO TRY Cascade Complete. Excuse me for sounding like a commercial here…but…it’s necessary!

I have a crappy old apartment complex dishwasher, and I was having the exact same problem. Food sticking no matter what. However, after trying Casacade complete thanks to a coupon, I am obsessed. My dishes are ALWAYS clean…even if the food sat for days. You have to try it!!!!

41. 3 Things Thursday: Linked Edition « Amanda in Balance responded on 03 Mar 2011 at 10:21 pm #

[...] an awesome post by eat the damn cake that is brilliant.  It discusses some famous blogs and what she (and a lot of the rest of us, [...]

42. Suzanne responded on 05 Mar 2011 at 8:36 pm #

dude-ette:
    you totally made me laugh so hard that I a) couldn’t breath, and b)got a sharp pain in my gut that almost caused me to fall off the couch. and for that I say…..THANK YOU!!!!!!!!! you darling lil thing.
    p.s. your decor is WAY more stylish than mine!!!!!!!!

43. Kate responded on 05 Mar 2011 at 9:44 pm #

@Suzanne
    Oh no! I’m sorry I hurt you!

(Actually, I’m kind of proud of myself)

(And that sounded terrible.)