What men lust after in the month of July

Last night, my brother and I were standing at the checkout counter at the CVS, buying batteries for our dad’s insulin pump, and a row of magazines was staring me in the face. They were almost at face-height, really, and some airbrushed movie star or model’s perfectly flat stomach was flashing me tauntingly.

Without thinking, I read aloud the first words I saw:

“What Do Guys Lust After in July?” I laughed and said, “Enlighten me,” sarcastically to the closest magazine.

The guy behind the counter, a young Indian man, said something so quietly I didn’t catch it the first time.

“What?” I said, embarrassed and thinking I might have handed him the wrong amount.

“Ice cream?” he said again, louder. “We lust after ice cream?”

Everyone started laughing.

“Makes a lot of sense,” agreed my brother, another man who would soon face the scorching month in question.

Actually, we’d gotten ice cream just minutes before, at a nearby Thomas Sweet.

But the point is, if you’d like to know what a man wants, maybe you should just ask him.

Unroast: Today I love the way I look in a bikini. I know I hated it a couple weeks ago, but yesterday I put one on, and it looked great. Depends on my mind.

P.S. New post at Skipping School, in response to a NY Times piece about homeschoolers.

Kate on June 20th 2011 in life

10 Responses to “What men lust after in the month of July”

1. Lilli responded on 20 Jun 2011 at 12:39 pm #

I hate the way women’s magazines act as if men are all one being, who can be conquered with the perfect coquettish hair flick, the one-size-fits-all-and-it-had-better approach.
    Have you ever tried reading men’s articles, on ‘how to get the perfect women/how to know what your woman is thinking’ though? They’re hilarious, and as far as i can see totally wrong, so i can only guess that the same applies with women’s magazines too :)
    xx

2. Garin responded on 20 Jun 2011 at 1:33 pm #

Coming from a guy, we’re really not any sort of complex mental enigma. We’re all different. Ask us. July for me sort of calls for BBQs, fireworks and the beach.

3. Ashley responded on 20 Jun 2011 at 1:42 pm #

This is hilarious.

4. B1 responded on 20 Jun 2011 at 2:12 pm #

ROFLMAO!! I love the clerk’s response!

5. Emily responded on 20 Jun 2011 at 3:16 pm #

Yes! that makes me happy :) I love when guys show that they don’t have to be stereotypes either.

6. Sonja responded on 20 Jun 2011 at 3:27 pm #

Oh, I love that! Best cashier ever.

7. Rosalyn responded on 20 Jun 2011 at 4:55 pm #

Did you ever notice that every single one of those check-out lane magazines has one article on how to lose 30 pounds in four days and right next to it a recipe (and picture) for triple-layer fudge cream berry torte? Every single one. Check it out.

8. Lili @ Relatable Style responded on 21 Jun 2011 at 7:30 am #

Haha, that’s cool :-D I like how he said something completely harmless but also completely true, LOL! The world is so sexualized, when people often just long for the most simple things.
    I get a nervous twitch when I read “guides” like these, to either men or women… Or articles about what women or men like or don’t like. Jeezus, I mean it’s not like we’re all individual personalities, right? ^^ As a gender researcher, I believe that (apart from the obvious physical differences) people from different sexes can be more alike than people within one sex.

Relatable Style

9. Abby responded on 21 Jun 2011 at 9:31 am #

“…Depends on my mind.”

So simple, but so true about so many things.

10. Mandy responded on 22 Jun 2011 at 1:29 am #

I realized at a very young age that no none could read my mind–if I wanted someone to know what I was thinking or feeling, I’d have to tell them.
    So, I also assumed the reverse to be true, as well. And I prefer to ask a “stupid” question, rather than make a stupid assumption.
    It’s a practice that has stood me in good stead, over the years…

And, come to think of it, peppermint ice cream sounds really good, right about now…