Going all the way

I didn’t tell the whole story yesterday. About meeting the work people. There’s more. The story doesn’t end with the painting, as happy as I am about the painting. It ends with me in the bathroom, cutting off the rest of my hair.

People keep telling me I’m so bold, for cutting off as much as I did, last time. For having short hair in the first place. But what I’d really wanted was something much shorter. Except the first time, I couldn’t go all the way. I was brave, but not quite that brave yet.

Now I am braver. Or more reckless.

I think it had something to do with the work dinner. With the other women and their long, glossy hair that fell in perfect waves. The kind of waves that a salon does for you, but that only work with a certain kind of hair. I liked the other women, just as I almost always like the women I meet through Bear’s work, and basically anywhere in this city, but the more of them I meet, the more obvious it becomes to me that I am not like them. Which is fine. Actually, it is so fine, that I decided to go all the way different. To be all the way myself.

Sitting there, in my borrowed silky dress and strapless bra and glittering earrings, I suddenly felt very comfortable being nothing like the other women in the restaurant. It suddenly occurred to me that I was not going to impede Bear’s career by being the weird one. So I went home and picked up my scissors. It’s thrilling every time.

Here are the reasons why I shouldn’t have cut all my hair off:

1. I don’t have the “right” face for it. The right face has sexy cheekbones and a smaller nose and a wide mouth, probably. Mine is the kind of face that women’s magazines advise to “soften” with long hair.

2. No one has hair this short, unless they’re a man. Even men mostly have longer hair than me, now. Even in Manhattan, where women are daring and at the cutting edge of fashion and wear ridiculously creative outfits, they almost all have long hair. Long hair also seems to be in.

3. People will think things about me. Like that I might be gay. Or that I am strange. Or that I am trying to prove something. I might not look very professional, when I go to meetings with important people occasionally.

4. I can’t fit in with the women who marry the guys Bear works with and knows. Not even close.

5. It takes a long time to grow back.

6. I don’t have the body for it. People who cut off all their hair should be slender and long-necked and thin-armed. I am not.

Here is why I cut it all off anyway:

Because I wanted to.

Bear came home from the gym, and I was standing in the bathroom in a white tee-shirt and shorts, with barely any hair left. The scissor was on the side of the sink.

He said, “Your hair looks different.” He studied me briefly. He said, “You’re gorgeous.”

Here are the reasons why I love having barely any hair:

1. It makes me put my shoulders back

2. It makes me feel cool (literally, too)

3. It makes me bolder. I look bold, so I begin to act more confident.

4. I think I look like someone awesome.

5. It’s fun to wear really feminine clothes with incredibly short hair.

On my way to meet Bear for lunch yesterday, a man on the street said to me, “You are really beautiful.” His tone was sincere. I said, “Thank you.”

People turned to look at Bear and I– the guy in tucked-in work clothes, the woman in the coral dress and heels, with the giant earrings and barely any hair.

“Who said you could be so sexy?” Bear teased.

“Me,” I said. “I did.” Which really is exactly how it went.

Unroast: Today I love my hair. It’s really my absolute favorite thing about myself right now.

P.S. It looks longer in the pictures than in real life. I don’t know why. It also looks lighter. In real life there’s a baldish patch in the back, where I clearly couldn’t see what I was doing :)

P.P.S I’m totally fine with people thinking I’m gay.

Kate on June 24th 2011 in beauty, being different, body

65 Responses to “Going all the way”

1. jeanie responded on 24 Jun 2011 at 3:10 pm #

Damn. You really are brave. And you look gorgeous.

2. Andee responded on 24 Jun 2011 at 3:17 pm #

Yea for short hair! It’s amazing how confident you can feel when you aren’t hiding behind your hair. I LOVE it!!

3. Meredith responded on 24 Jun 2011 at 3:21 pm #

Good for you. Though having another person cut it for you might have been easier :-)

I have had this type of hair cut several times in my life, and will likely cut it all off again this summer (mine is right now chin length and wild as I wanted to experiment with color, and short hair doesn’t really show highlights as well). I think it looks good on everyone, and always makes you look chic-er than girls with long hair. It’s Sartorialist hair.

Plus earrings look great and makeup really pops (if you’re into that sort of thing). And no one ever thought I was gay because of it (though that doesn’t really matter to me).

More importantly, please continue NOT to “fit in”. I work in an industry that I think is quite similar to Bear’s and I wish I could be more myself and less “appropriate”. Like my hair stylist started doing these awesome feather extensions. Gorgeous. I’m too chicken to do them, worried about what my boss would think. Ditto on dying the underside of my hair either violet or blue.

4. Jennifer Jo responded on 24 Jun 2011 at 3:24 pm #

I can’t believe you CUT it yourself. And you DO have the features for it—big eyes, dark eyebrows, etc. Go you!

5. Helen responded on 24 Jun 2011 at 3:26 pm #

With all due respect, what the **** does having thin arms have to do with pulling off a hairstyle? You have an atypical kind of gorgeous amazingness with short hair.

6. Kate responded on 24 Jun 2011 at 3:31 pm #

@Helen
    I don’t think it has anything to do with a hairstyle. But I haven’t seen any women who are supposed to be sexy and gorgeous with short hair and non-skinny limbs. That’s why there need to be more of us!

7. janetha @ meals & moves responded on 24 Jun 2011 at 3:32 pm #

I LOVE IT.

8. janetha @ meals & moves responded on 24 Jun 2011 at 3:32 pm #

Oh and I totally get why you would say you have to have thin arms to have short hair. I get it way too much.

9. Katie responded on 24 Jun 2011 at 3:33 pm #

I’ve had short hair for a long time and I adore it! I’m growing it out right now to donate it and it cannot grow fast enough so I can chop it off again! Good for you :)

10. Emmi responded on 24 Jun 2011 at 3:34 pm #

Every hairstyle I have seen on you looks fantastic, but this one is definitely my favorite!

And it’s funny, despite being an absolute 3 on the Kinsey scale, my first thought when I see hair like yours isn’t gay, it’s that you’re getting healthy again after an illness. Probably because I lost most of my hair when I was diagnosed with Crohn’s disease a couple years back (though you’d never know it in my wedding photos, but most of it fell out when I tried to take down that updo). My sister keeps her hair in a buzz cut, because she’s wheelchair-bound (and her hair grows faster than any human person’s should) so she can only get out to have it buzzed a few times a year. And we have a lot of fun when we’re out together, because people fall all over themselves to accommodate her because with the wheelchair and buzzcut they usually assume she’s ill AND crippled. I know, we’re terrible.

People thinking you might be gay is actually awesome, because it helps keep away the folks you wouldn’t want to associate with anyway, and makes the rest think you’re confident and sassy and cool. Yay!

As for me, I am finally growing the thickest, healthiest crop of hair I have EVER had and every day I grin my ass off at my reflection. This is the reaction everyone should have when gazing into the mirror!

11. Becca responded on 24 Jun 2011 at 4:06 pm #

Short hair shouldn’t be brave, but it somehow is. And that makes this stunning haircut even more stunning. And you’ve made me revise my earlier thought that “short-short hair needs pixie features and high cheekbones” to “short-short hair needs strong features and strong confidence.” Silly fashion advice.

12. Kate responded on 24 Jun 2011 at 4:09 pm #

@Becca
    YES! Victory! (Throws arms up in victorious gesture)

13. Emma responded on 24 Jun 2011 at 4:12 pm #

I’m obsessed!! I’ve literally had long hair my entire life and I’ve always envied the people like you who take the risk to chop it all over. It looks so incredibly beautiful on you!

14. Kate responded on 24 Jun 2011 at 4:14 pm #

@Emma
    I had hair down to my waist for a while. I grew it for so so so many years, and I totally know how you feel. And thank you!

15. Aimee responded on 24 Jun 2011 at 4:28 pm #

Oooh, I think you’re gorgeous too! Bravo!
    And I definitely agree with Emmi, who said that short hair will actually keep some people away… Like the guys (and girls) who think that to be womanly, one should have long hair and wear a skirt and make-up. Which is totally absurd.

I’ve had short hair for all my life (but for 2 years, maybe), and I love it. Especially when I pair it with a nice shirt and a tie. A couple of people find it weird, but these people’s opinion I don’t mind. I guess you need some sort of self-confidence to have short hair, and that might frighten, for instance, guys who feel it is a threat to their masculinity.

Because it shows self-confidence and strength, I personally think that short hair will always be cool and beautiful ;)

16. Marie responded on 24 Jun 2011 at 4:36 pm #

Re: “not having the right face” for short hair. Uh, not true at all! You have such a strong face. You have the type of face that is memorable. You will never be mistaken for anyone else, you will never be forgotten, you are beautiful, and that is just magnified when your hair is, well, gone.

I went the opposite direction with my hair- I’ve never had short hair, but I cut my waist-length hair to a “respectable” mid-back length in high school and have had it slightly shorter, but never longer since. After cutting it pretty short (for me- just past my shoulders) after moving to Las Vegas last summer, I decided I hated having my hair shorter. I have really great hair, so my new hair resolution is “Lady Godiva.”

17. ashling responded on 24 Jun 2011 at 4:55 pm #

Who says you don’t have the features? I don’t usually comment on total strangers’ looks, but since you brought it up…your hair looks fabulous, you look strong and confident and bold, and I admire the guts it took to do what felt good to you!

18. Sarah responded on 24 Jun 2011 at 6:10 pm #

You are absolutely beautiful with short hair!

LOVE <3

19. Bobbi responded on 24 Jun 2011 at 7:12 pm #

<3 it! Last year I cut my hair shorter because I tired of it longer. This year I am growing it longer because I tired of it shorter. It is a lovely place to be I think – making hair decisions based on what *I* want.

20. Valerie responded on 24 Jun 2011 at 7:48 pm #

This haircut…you know, I liked the last haircut you gave yourself. But now I hate the last haircut you gave yourself because this one looks EVEN better! Didn’t think it was possible, but it is. It’s almost tribal. Like you’re reclaiming something we’ve all lost through our tech savvy society.

21. mallory responded on 24 Jun 2011 at 7:54 pm #

You are gorgeous. Your hair is more like an accessory and it doesn’t matter how you wear it. You’re basically just a gorgeous-all-the-time kind of lady with a nice hair-accessory to compliment the already gorgeous you.

22. Corny responded on 24 Jun 2011 at 9:54 pm #

When I was in sixth grade I cut off my hair. I spent the next three years being bullied horribly because I was “gay.” (I wasn’t. I didn’t care about “being” gay. I cared about what people did to me for it.) So I grew it out. Eight years after the first time, I’m still trying to cut my hair short. Right now I’m around my ears.

I don’t have the right face, the right whatever for it, either. Mostly that doesn’t worry me. Mostly I am still scared eight years later.

I have to do this; they didn’t get me the first time and they can’t get me now.

So thank you, thank you, thank you, Kate. The whole post was good; the P.P.S. was better and best.

23. San D responded on 24 Jun 2011 at 10:23 pm #

My sister and I both at one point had really short haircuts. While shopping in Paris, while I was in the dressing room, my sister was assured by the salesclerk in her halting English, that “your partner” looks great in the dress she was trying on. My sister replied that I was not her partner, but her sister, and we both got the giggles., and giggling women in short hair at the ages of 50+ is a sight to see!

Notice how your short hair enhances your eyes? Brings new meaning to “doe eyes”.

24. zoe (and the beatles) responded on 24 Jun 2011 at 10:26 pm #

you ARE someone awesome! my friend, you’re absolutely gorgeous. and bold. and those pictures ooze your confidence. kate, you inspire me! keep on keepin’ on (and enjoy buying and using less shampoo :) !)

25. Brittany responded on 24 Jun 2011 at 11:04 pm #

You and I are hair twins now because my hair is that short, as well! I also cut my hair myself. It saves money and it’s super easy to cut short hair. I am not a tall, skinny girl. I’m 5’0″ and curvy and have kid-sized hands, but hair is not something that is important to me and it’s not something I ever have felt the need to deal with and having it long makes me feel not like myself. I haven’t had long hair since I was 12 and I can’t imagine myself with long hair now.

P.S. I got pink and turquoise feathers put in my hair today and they are so freaking cute! So if you want something a little snazzy and cool that decorates short hair well you could do something like that?

26. MarieElizabeth responded on 24 Jun 2011 at 11:12 pm #

It’s because everything in your second list is true (you’re awesome) that you don’t need to care about anything in your first list (although I disagree that about not have the face/body, etc part). I loved have really short hair and think that women that short it are extremely confident and lovely, no matter their face, body, or clothes. It’s about showing your personality and it works. Over the past 6 months I keep getting it cut shorter every time. Maybe next time I’ll be inspired to go back to sassy short again.

27. Beka responded on 24 Jun 2011 at 11:53 pm #

You look amazing with the short hair! Mine is almost that short and I love it. I feel more like myself than ever :)

28. Sarah responded on 25 Jun 2011 at 12:17 am #

I love it too! I really love super short hair like this. My mom used to have hair this short, and it looked amazing. Since she and I look exactly alike, it removed any excuse I had for not cutting my hair off too (e.g. I don’t have the right face for it either). Not long after, I chopped mine. Since I am a redhead, people spent a lot of time telling me that my hair was what made me so pretty, and up until them I believed them. I only went as short as my chin, but it definitely proved to me that I am not my hair, and it is not the source of my beauty.

29. Laurin responded on 25 Jun 2011 at 12:53 am #

Gorgeous, gorgeous Kate :D
    you are an inspiration to us all :)

I cut my hair off that short about 5 years ago – my mum did a trek through the Himalayas to raise money for ovarian cancer research.. was such an awesome woman-positive thing to be involved in and I was so happy to help (we raised $13000! :) )
    anyway, I shaved my hair off (not with a razor, but clippers, right to the scalp) from always having had long hair. I LOVED IT! it was awesome. (well, after the first wearing in period where I’d get a shock from my reflection lol).
    Problem was, I looked like a mushroom when my hair started growing out cos it stuck straight out (and I have *thick* hair. it’s crazy and strong.. I’m very lucky lol.)
    So I’ve always resisted shaving it off again.. and now I have longer hair at the front, and spiky at the back.. mostly cos people made comments all the time about how ‘unfeminine’ my hair was when it was all spiky, or when i had it shaved.
    And i felt like a bit of a coward.. but you inspire me. Femininity is what we deem it to be, and who says you can’t rock the sexiness and femininity of short short hair? Not you, that’s for sure.

You look amazing, and I admire you so much :)
    thank you for continuing to share your wisdom.

Laurin

30. Nina responded on 25 Jun 2011 at 1:45 am #

I have super short hair too. I’m not thin and willowy either but I find I actually look thinner with short hair.

I look different to most of the other scientist/science communicators ice met but I don’t care. I like it

31. Lilli responded on 25 Jun 2011 at 7:22 am #

Kate, it looks absolutely gorgeous, and it suits you because your face is so unique and striking, and having short hair emphasises that… in short, it’s amazing!
    Wish i had the confidence to pull of short hair, but i have a weirdshaped head and i think it would look rather… odd with very little hair covering
    x

32. JFin responded on 25 Jun 2011 at 9:08 am #

I’m so inspired by you and your bravery/recklessness. I’ve wanted to chop off all my hair for ages now, but I haven’t yet had the courage. Maybe a little recklessness is a good quality.

33. poet responded on 25 Jun 2011 at 1:31 pm #

You do look gorgeous! I wish I was that brave, but I chickened out on cutting my hair *again* (I was seriously considering it for a while). Even though I supposedly have the face and body to wear super short hair. Which I don’t see you not having. Ah, whatever. You look great.

34. Jen responded on 25 Jun 2011 at 10:22 pm #

That guy on the street said:

“You are really beautiful.” His tone was sincere.

Beauty comes from radiance, from sending love to others.

Also, you have HUGE eyes, a long nose, and full lips, which balance the short hair. Visually, my eyes want to go to the hair, but the eyes draw me down, the nose continues pulling the gaze down, and the lips are like the fluffy, happy ending with smiling corners that send the gaze back up to that nose, those eyes, and that hair. My eyes cannot settle on just one thing.

Long hair would pull down and keep pulling down–less balance.

35. Anny responded on 26 Jun 2011 at 1:26 am #

Wow, Kate, it looks awesome on you! I was a little shocked at first (for good reasons) but I think it looks amazing! I wish I could pull off that kind of hairstyle, but because I’m 5’10″ I don’t think it would look good on me. Other short pixie haircuts haven’t suited me so for right now I’m rocking an a-line bob. All I have to say is go you! Rock that hairstyle!

36. liz responded on 26 Jun 2011 at 9:04 am #

you look amazing Kate! I know what you mean about short hair making you feel more confident. mine’s growing out at the moment, and I’m enjoying rediscovering what I can do with it. I felt a bit too mainstream so I put a pink streak in the front. It makes winter much more cheery =)

37. Mandy responded on 26 Jun 2011 at 12:35 pm #

You look incredible, sweetie!
    Your expression says it all!

38. Kim responded on 26 Jun 2011 at 3:50 pm #

When I was in my early 20s, I kept my hair super short…a lot like how you’ve cut yours. Instead of going to a hair salon, I would go to a barber (it was a lot cheaper). I loved having it so short like that…this was about 25 years ago and people seemed to think that I was a rebel for having my hair like that.

Now I’m 47 and I have long hair, well past my shoulders but not quite 1/2 way down my back. As I get older, I think I want to keep it long and I want it to go grey…because, you know, ‘women of a certain age’ are encouraged to cut off their hair and dye out the grey. We’re told that short hair makes us look younger. And it may…but when I see an old lady with long flowing grey hair, it makes me smile and think, “Now she’s got it going on…she does what she wants and doesn’t care what other people think.”

39. jensketch responded on 26 Jun 2011 at 7:16 pm #

everyone is talking about your boldness and your hair, and they rightfully can – but I’d like to chime in with a small observation about your judgements of the ladies that you saw yourself as so different from. Be careful of judgments like that – because you never know what sort of intelligent, vivacious and interesting woman can be under the salon-styled hair, makeup and clothes.

Some of us girl geeks really like that stuff, too. It is not mutually exclusive.

40. Kate responded on 27 Jun 2011 at 9:04 am #

@jensketch
    No doubt. I thought they were intelligent and interesting and vivacious. Not trying to imply otherwise. But I will also take credit for being bold, because cutting off all your hair IS bold! Especially in an environment where there’s a lot of pressure to have perfectly groomed, long hair.

I don’t mean to say that women with long, beautifully groomed hair aren’t bold in other ways. But I also can’t put a disclaimer on every post I write :)

41. Lynn responded on 27 Jun 2011 at 3:18 pm #

Wow, I straight up do NOT have the courage to cut off all my hair, props to you for having the guts to go for it! You’re gorgeous and I’m proud of you :)

42. Rebecca responded on 27 Jun 2011 at 7:37 pm #

Go on with your bad self.

Every time you whack your hair off,
    I just want to cheer!

You just *own* it, lady.

Good job.

43. Sooz responded on 28 Jun 2011 at 9:07 am #

Boy did you hit the nail right on the head. I love the pros and cons list. It exactly describes the way I feel about having short hair. You make me feel better about having short hair even though I’m short and round and brown. You make me feel like I can be brave. What a wonderful gift. Thank you. :)

44. Diane responded on 28 Jun 2011 at 2:01 pm #

I think it’s posts like this that warrant you a place on the “Best Websites for Women” list and I really hope you make it.

You look amazing. I’m not a painter, but that first picture of your reflection in the mirror makes me want to paint you.

45. Kate responded on 28 Jun 2011 at 2:08 pm #

@everyone
    THANK YOU so so so much for all of this kindness and love! You guys make me feel amazing about myself, and I’m so touched by the compliments.

I do really want to emphasize that I made the decision to cut my hair without thinking that it would make me look better. I really just wanted to do it, regardless of my face or my body or any rules about how women should look. I love the way I look with barely any hair, but I almost feel like I made it work for myself simply by going for it. I don’t think there is a face in this world that can’t pull off a look that the owner of that face really wants to pull off.

46. HappyReader responded on 29 Jun 2011 at 1:35 am #

Oh my F-ing Goodness. All I could think in the close-ups was how lovely and warm your eyes are! You are bold and beautiful :)

Now I’m laughing at myself and my totally giddy reaction at another person’s haircut. I was definitely flailing and pumping my arms in the air at some point during that post LOL. I look forward to seeing more pictures. I’m also a fan of juxtaposing and mixing and matching gender-specific norms. Like short hair and femmey outfits :)

47. Amy responded on 20 Jul 2011 at 4:36 pm #

I did the same thing, but ended up purchasing some clippers to even out my “i couldn’t see” spots, so I have a buzz cut. I agree and relate to everything you wrote here.

48. who gives a fig cake? « tangerine drawings responded on 08 Aug 2011 at 6:06 am #

[...] the Damn Cake. She doesn’t know me, but I follow her blog. (Blogging is weird.) Her post on short hair prompted me to cut off all of my own, instead of waiting to be thinner.  And I like her fierce [...]

49. Look What I Did | rosiesaysblog responded on 01 Sep 2011 at 9:00 am #

[...] here’s Kate from Eat the Damn Cake on her own even more dramatic [...]

50. under-chin chub and the weird hair phase | NoTitles responded on 09 Jan 2012 at 12:14 pm #

[...] have done this at different times, and I always feel that they look adorable or sophisticated or just damned hot. But the trouble is that they're also skinny, or at least they're pixy-ish, or they have strong jaw [...]

51. Eat the Damn Cake » this one is your real body responded on 20 Jan 2012 at 8:00 pm #

[...] My body never regressed gracefully into its precollege state. My weight went up and down, and my shape shifted, so that I tucked fat into new, creative spots. My face changed. My hair changed. And eventually I cut my hair off completely. [...]

52. Rose responded on 04 Feb 2012 at 6:34 pm #

You look fabulous with short hair! Right now I am considering cutting off ALL my hair. It’s a scary thought! I have had really long hair most of my life, and last spring I got a short haircut. Like, maybe an inch long. It is grown out to my chin now, but I loved it short. Your post made me seriously consider shaving my head! It would be really bold and it would make my eyes stand out! And it would be so easy to take care of! But I don’t know if I want to do it, because it would take a long time to grow out, and I am worried people will judge me because of it before they know me. There are other reasons too. But I am ecxited by the idea! Maybe I will do it at the beginning of the summer when it is warmer out!

I really enjoy reading your blogs. Thank you for writing!

p.s. I am an unschooler :)

53. Shannoetry responded on 08 Mar 2012 at 5:47 pm #

First, I only found your blog a few days ago – thank you Huffington Post – and have been loving catching up on it! And though I recognize this is an older post, I felt like I had to comment.

Second – Becca’s comment above really struck me, as did you scaling back your hair to such an extreme, which is why I felt like I had to comment…

Short hair IS brave, even though it shouldn’t be. I have a teeny-tiny obsession with hair. When I was in junior high school – growing my hair out after elementary years with it cropped very short to support my swimming – my dad told me a story about a girl he went to high school with whose hair was so long, she could sit on it. When she put on a coat or sweater, she’d have to flip her hair out over the clothes and then, she’d pull out a little pocket comb and comb the ends down. That moment, hearing that story, has stuck with me forever, and since then I’ve been obsessed with growing my hair out long. Today, my hair is nearly 4 feet long (just had a trim) and just passes my hips. I’m not sitting on it yet, and I start to wonder if I ever will.

My long hair has become like a security blanket. Sometimes I toy with the idea of cutting it short/shorter, but always recoil. It’s like a palpable fear when I give it real consideration. Firstly, I don’t actually think I’d look good with short hair, but that could be because it’s been long for more than 20 years now, so my view could be distorted.

So much of feminine beauty – and indeed, femininity – is tied up in hair. Long hair is “a mark of woman’s beauty”, and as a society we rely on hair length, in particular, to give us visual cues – however incorrect they may be – about an individual’s sex, gender, sexuality and personality. It’s a little bit exhausting.

As I approach my 30th birthday this year and, among other mini-crises I have on occasion about hitting that particular milestone, I’ve started to wonder if I need to cut my hair off. Am I getting “too old” for excessively long hair? Or can I be content to love the hair I love, regardless of what society says/thinks? Like you! A coworker of mine, who’s fearless when it comes to her hair, recently went from mid-shoulder red hair to a pixie-cropped blonde, and it’s amazing! For those reasons, I have a huge respect – and a bit of jealousy – over how frankly and determinedly you cut yours off! Bravo!

Finally, I agree with the consensus here that you look fabulous at every hair length, but this particular style is stunning! That said, the positive reactions you’ve received – from your awesome husband and strangers alike – might have less to do with your hair than 1) you, and 2) you embracing what you want and how you look which makes you rock it, regardless. So rock on, lady.

54. Eat the Damn Cake » buzzcut beauty responded on 18 Mar 2012 at 7:50 pm #

[...] Also, I feel more comfortable in my own skin, like my hair is no longer a part of my “look”. It’s been taken out of the picture completely. I can wear whatever I want, do whatever I want. Like Kate said back when she cut all her hair off – “It makes me bolder. I look bold, so I begin to act more confident”. [...]

55. What I Know About Beauty Now That I’m in My 20s | Blog for Beauty responded on 28 Mar 2012 at 3:36 pm #

[...] since we have a large nose and my neck is not prolonged adequate and we am not tiny and waiflike. I got a hum cut anyway. It looked fantastic. It felt fantastic. we felt free. Everyone desired it. The manners are [...]

56. Kate Fridkis: What I Know About Beauty Now That I'm in My 20s | USA Press responded on 29 Mar 2012 at 7:26 am #

[...] to, because I have a big nose and my neck is not long enough and I am not tiny and waiflike. I got a buzz cut anyway. It looked fantastic. It felt fantastic. I felt free. Everyone loved it. The rules are [...]

57. Lois responded on 29 Mar 2012 at 2:42 pm #

I have VERY short hair and have had since the 80s when it was fashionable to have short punk spikey hair. I LOVE when women take the plunge and cut their hair short. More women look better with short hair than with long. YAY for YOU!!

58. Rachel SV responded on 31 Mar 2012 at 7:40 am #

Thank you for this.

59. Carol responded on 25 Jun 2012 at 5:58 am #

I have very thin hair. I love long beautiful thick hair but after 48 years trying to grow it I realized it was just getting worse & id never have the pretty hair I longed for. So I went short. Finally buzzed it to a little less than an inch. I like it a lot & it actually looks better with such thin hair. I’m keeping it that short ears forward but am letting the back grow some, I saw something with a longer back I thought was cute on the web. I’m liking the fluffed out standing up short front a lot. I’m keeping the front buzzed just under an inch or it wants to fold over. So buzz away if you like it! But if you have nice hair I’m insanely jealous! Buzz cut is working for my crappy thin hair, but I wish I didn’t have crappy thin hair! Up side is ears show, great oportunity for some cool new piercings! 8 left ear 5 right ear! :)

60. lucca responded on 08 Sep 2012 at 8:19 am #

you got the perfect hairline and skull shape for short hair. that’s all that ever matters when it comes to short hair for women (in my mind, anyways). and ohgod, you DO look stunning. and gorgeous! best decision ever :D

61. AnnaMJ responded on 09 Oct 2012 at 6:11 pm #

I have a hair appointment tomorrow and I’ve been trying to get up the guts to cut it short, the way I’ve always wanted to try. I stumbled across this post after Googling “cutting my hair short for the first time.” You look striking and bold and beautiful, and have given me the courage to go ahead with my own short cut!

62. Monka responded on 02 Nov 2012 at 4:19 am #

I also cut my hair short… the first time I did it I basically shaved them to ZERO… and then didn’t go out for about 2 weeks… this time after about 2.5 years I shaved them to 4 mm… hahaha, I have a line on my back shaved to zero and have not a clue how it happened as with the small comp on it’s actually impossible to do so… It’s amazing how this haircut can change you… I feel much more feminine with this extremely short hair rather than with long… and I feel more confident as well… and differently to when I have long hair and no matter what I wear or what make up I do I never feel to stand out, I do now, no matter what I wear or what my make up is… I love this haircut even if each time I did it I was hesitant whether to do it or not…

63. Susan responded on 11 Nov 2012 at 7:08 pm #

OMG! I stumbled upon this piece quite by accident (happy accident as it turns out) just AFTER having done what Kate did….going into the bathroom and having a big hair chopping off party (my hair was already short, but no where near the short it is now). I did it just because I could, and I was tired of searching/hoping/looking for some sort of validation to take my hair to the extreme. Somehow this is just “me”…no hiding, no excuses, just my 41 year old self, looking more feminine, more clear skinned and wide eyed than I think I looked years ago with my long hair. I am far from waif-like….average height with a D chest and a bit of a pooch (peri menopause sucks ladies!), but this makes me seem somehow more va va voom than if I had cascading curls. Hard to explain. Now I want to try new makeup and look for some sexier duds, but honestly, even in just a tank and pj pants I feel more “womanly” somehow. This post just made it all come together…thanks Kate, you rock!!

64. Bobby responded on 12 Jan 2013 at 12:15 am #

Wow your eyes are stunning and that profile pic of you is goddamned gorgeous! My 17 year old daughter shaved her head and looked amazing and her older sister has now cut all her hair off….. it makes the eyes so big and I think the soul grows too. Its brave, it bold, it’s just awesome! Wish I had the courage. You rock Kate :)

65. dlovell responded on 25 Mar 2013 at 5:26 pm #

cutting hair like that is called psychological suicide- look it up-it is true- u will be sorry- I am a woman age 58- I did this ONCE-never again-I realized how unhappy I was-got a divorce-and grew my beautiful hair back out! I have never done it again!