I was almost on Good Morning America today

Yesterday, I got an email with the subject “Good Morning America.”

“Hi Kate,” it read. “Would you be able to be interviewed on camera tomorrow?”

Good Morning America wanted to talk to me about My Body Gallery, the site that I wrote this very recent post on. They wanted my thoughts. There’s a chance they’ve read THIS BLOG.

I don’t watch TV. I mean, I watch Hulu, of course. But not real TV. Growing up, we didn’t watch TV. I clearly don’t know how big of a deal TV is, somehow, because my first reaction was, “Oh no. I don’t want to be on TV. That’s scary. I’ll probably sound stupid and make weird expressions.”

Because I was ambivalent, I did the reasonable thing: I put up a Facebook status explaining to my Facebook friends that I wasn’t sure what to do.

And then they all wrote back saying, “OH MY GOD. DO IT.”

And my brothers both called me at the same time and were like, “OH MY GOD. THIS IS YOUR BIG BREAK.”

And my dad was like, “You’re famous!”

And my third cousin was like, “You’re finally making something of yourself, I’m so proud!”

And my friends were like, “You’re the biggest deal in the world now!”

And I was like, “Shit. I have to do it.”

So I wrote back and said, “OK, I’ll do it.”

Good Morning America said, “Great! But now we’re not sure if we want to run the program. We’re having some last minute scheduling changes.” Or something along those lines. They said, “We’ll let you know tomorrow.”

I waited around this morning, trying not to try to decide what to wear in my head. My friend was gchatting me, telling me why I didn’t need to panic. She had experience with GMA, as I now familiarly call it, because she is actually  famous. She was like, “Piece of cake!”

Cake I can do.

And then GMA wrote to me and was like, “So sorry, it’s looking like this is not going to happen.”

And suddenly I was totally depressed. Like, I felt like a failure. Good Morning America doesn’t want me! I’m a loser! I’ve never accomplished anything! What am I doing with my life? I’ll never be important or special!

Yeah. It was like that. I stared forlornly into space for a while.

How fickle we are. AhemI am. And Good Morning America. They’re pretty fickle over there, too, apparently.

Bear was unfazed by the whole thing. He doesn’t care about TV.

My brothers are going to be sad. I’ve let my whole family down. If GMA doesn’t want me, who will?

But on a happy note, I found this sheet music that I need to learn that had been lost for days. That’s got to count for something.

(whatever. I can walk by it whenever I want anyway. source)

Unroast: Today I love my earlobes.

Kate on August 12th 2011 in life, new york

16 Responses to “I was almost on Good Morning America today”

1. garin responded on 12 Aug 2011 at 3:50 pm #

The ticker on that pic you posted says “Satanic sexual abuse by priests”. I just thought that was interesting. Also, I’ll still be friends with you Kate!

2. Emmi responded on 12 Aug 2011 at 3:51 pm #

Hey, who knows, maybe they’ll call you back next week. Maybe they’ll read this entry and see a bunch of comments wishing you HAD been on (that’s your cue, other readers!). It was still really exciting to get the call! And even though it didn’t happen, it’s awesome that you threw caution to the wind and said yes. The things you say, the way you say it – you SHOULD be getting attention.

3. Kate responded on 12 Aug 2011 at 3:53 pm #

@Garin
    Yeah, I thought that was kind of….something. Funny? Thanks for being my friend, even though I may never be famous!

4. Kate responded on 12 Aug 2011 at 3:55 pm #

@Emmi
    You’re the nicest! I kind of hope they don’t read this, though. Because I want them to think of me as powerful and unattainable now. As though I was the one who broke up with them.

:-)

5. Tiffany Rumbalski responded on 12 Aug 2011 at 4:06 pm #

Kate,
    This post made me laugh really, really hard. Your unroast part is always my favorite. To me, you really are famous.

6. Kate responded on 12 Aug 2011 at 4:08 pm #

@Tiffany
    Yes! That is always my favorite accomplishment. (The saying something funny part)

7. Dori responded on 12 Aug 2011 at 4:10 pm #

I have been on GMA, albeit for a very quick thing and it was fun, but more hurry up and wait than was necessary. I had to be there at 5AM for a 4 minute segment with a talking head who didn’t know who she was talking to or why we were there.

Please, please, please do not judge any part of your wonderful self based on their inability to manage time. They were interested in you because you are interesting. You write wonderful things to which many people can relate.

I have stepped off my soap box now :) Please accept this electronic hug and slug in the arm. <3

8. Amanda responded on 12 Aug 2011 at 4:14 pm #

KATE! How many people can say they were asked to be on TV?! So, they decided not to do the segment, point is they, for a moment in time, thought “We want Kate!” How awesome are you?! :o )

9. Kate responded on 12 Aug 2011 at 4:15 pm #

@Amanda
    I know….But wouldn’t it be so much cooler to be able to say, “I was on TV!”

@Dori
    Is it fun being able to say that? :-)

10. Amanda responded on 12 Aug 2011 at 5:06 pm #

Kate. You crack me up. Thanks for the laugh!

11. Steph responded on 12 Aug 2011 at 5:08 pm #

I wouldn’t know from experience, but I’ve heard that’s the norm for TV. So true how it feels to get your hopes up and then have them dashed, though. You never know, they might do the segment later on and all your TV dreams will come true!

12. San D responded on 12 Aug 2011 at 6:15 pm #

Wow, how cool. Of course I am thinking about how this would have been fodder for the blog, cuz if you haven’t seen or heard yourself on tv, that’s always a shock. I always wonder who that short fat lady is with the Mickey Mouse voice, because I see myself as tall, thin, sexy and talking in alto. LOL.

13. Mandy responded on 13 Aug 2011 at 1:13 pm #

I would have loved to see you on TV, and to have your actual voice to put with your blogs…kinda like a retroactive-voice-over!

If they have any taste at all, GMA will be back.

14. Josh B. responded on 14 Aug 2011 at 11:57 am #

Wish you’d made it on there! You do great work.

15. Eat the Damn Cake » A Practical Wedding (and a Jewish homeschooler) responded on 16 Aug 2011 at 12:55 pm #

[...] Anyway, YAY!! I feel slightly better about Good Morning America. [...]

16. Eat the Damn Cake » no one is too smart to worry about beauty responded on 22 Mar 2012 at 2:30 pm #

[...] Remember when I wrote about the site My Body Gallery and then Good Morning America almost, almost interviewed me about my post? Well, GMA is still radio silent (I know they’ll come crying back to me one day!), but the [...]