where are all the big-nosed Disney princesses?

There are no examples of people who look like me being hot. Because I am this weird combination of parts that surprised even God. God was like, “Wait, really? That can happen?” when I was born. I still don’t understand it. I look at my parents and grandparents and can kind of figure out how it’s possible, but I can also see how it could’ve easily gone a lot smoother.

Growing up, I knew this couple who were gangly and oddly-arranged. They had bad posture. They looked somehow drab. And they had three kids who looked like child models, and later, like actual models (although that line is a little blurry sometimes, so maybe I shouldn’t make the clarification). It was like all of the parents’ fantastic genes had been singled out and put to work. It was fabulous.

It didn’t happen that way with me. Maybe my parents were too good-looking to begin with. Which is really OK. I mean, I’m over it. For the most part.

(even her bird has a prominent nose. source)

When I was 12, singing in a lame local choir where we had to wear long black skirts to perform, I wrote a thank you note to the instructor on the last day. Somehow, she got confused about who had given it to her, and she hugged this other girl instead. The other girl also had a bump on her nose. But she had lots of pimples and hair that stuck out to the sides and a habit of fiddling constantly with her beaded necklace. I thought that she wasn’t pretty, and I was shocked that someone could mistake her for me.

A few years ago, before I met Bear and cut off all my hair, I briefly dated a charming blond guy who I couldn’t manage to fall for, no matter how much it seemed like it might be a good idea, and after I broke it off with him, he showed up at a grad school event with another girl who everyone (we knew a lot of the same people) mistook for me.

Later, I met her, and she was gorgeous, with a bump on her nose, and a lot of curly/wavy hair, and considerably larger breasts than I have, and eyes that looked like they might really be sparkling. And I was stunned, because I couldn’t imagine that anyone would think I looked like that.

I see pieces of myself everywhere. The buzz cut on an incredibly thin, graceful girl at Ikea (I’m at Ikea a lot these days). The round eyes above the long nose on an Israeli man in the New York Times. The full bottom, small chest, and chubby arms on a confident-looking black girl in an orange, sleeveless dress in Union Square. The shapely, but not particularly long legs with their abrupt ankles on a woman pushing a stroller in the park.

I get offended when, in the amazing show Downton Abbey, like in the BBC dramatization of Pride and Prejudice, the annoying, supposedly unattractive sister is the one with the distinctive nose. Always. Always! Why is she always the obnoxious one, in addition to being the unattractive one? Is there something about women with big noses that irritates people?

There must be, because Disney keeps making the villainesses have curving noses. Or just big ones. Like the witch in Tangled, who looks pretty to me, with her wild, curly dark hair, seductively hooded eyes, and delicately arched nose. She could  be Jewish or Armenian. And the other characters keep referring to her as ugly and an “old hag.” And, of course, she’s evil. Have we ever seen a heroine with an bold, bumpy nose? I demand equal rights! Big noses now!!

(Also, like in Snow White, the villainess is the character who is obsessed with beauty. She’s terrified of growing old, which is depicted as pathetic and self-involved. She’s desperate to be beautiful, and since she isn’t already beautiful, according to the script if not her appearance, her desire is pitiful and dangerous. Can we analyze THAT at all? Don’t get me started… source)

Alright. I’m ranting. Am I ranting? I feel like I’m ranting. Probably because I’m complaining about Disney movies. I don’t think that’s allowed. If you want to watch Disney movies, are you still allowed to complain about them?

(not exactly a villainess, but definitely not a kind, likable character! source)

Most of the time, I am reasonable enough to realize that I should do something besides feeling offended as I watch Disney movies. But sometimes, the little girl in me is almost desperate to see herself depicted somewhere, anywhere, as beautiful, or good, or heroic. Sometimes, I am sick of noticing that the features I have fought bloody battles to accept on my face are the ones that define the faces of the women we are supposed to identify immediately as dangerous and irritating and bad.

(even Ursula, who is, of course, fat and evil, has a bumpy nose for good measure. source)

But whatever. I only look like one, confusing, fantastic person. It’s a problem and it’s this tremendous opportunity to get totally cocky. Because I have my own look. I should start a fashion line. I should wear bold, outfits. I should mastermind a villainous plan or a shockingly heroic, helpful one. That would be a twist. I should be a writer. Because we get to talk about this stuff as much as we want. We get to explain how it feels to be us.

And I like being me. I am a weird combination of my parents’ genes that enables me to really, really appreciate the view of the city from the Brooklyn Bridge Park. And work with a vengeance to accomplish stuff. And get offended when I see another annoying, mean character with a nose that’s sort of like mine, because I know that isn’t right. People are beautiful with this nose. And this combination of things. People are beautiful in combinations television and Disney and fashion fail to capture or even imagine.

We’re shocking like that. We’re complicated enough for it. And we might just write the next script:

The Princess Who Saved The World: A story of a beautiful, bold-nosed, big-butted girl who was really good at sword fighting, dragon taming, and a bunch of other things, too (she made a mean grilled cheese!)

Unroast: Today I love the way I look in my apartment. I think it suits me.

Kate on September 12th 2011 in beauty, being different, nose

58 Responses to “where are all the big-nosed Disney princesses?”

1. elleth responded on 12 Sep 2011 at 12:14 pm #

Kate, I don’t know if you read The Hairpin, but this piece from last week was brilliant and sad and is a bit along the same lines as you are touching here.

I have so many issues with Disney movies I won’t even start in on them.

2. Mandy responded on 12 Sep 2011 at 12:22 pm #

Or, we could point out that Jennifer Grey, a gorgeous and talented young actress, dropped out of the public eye after she got her lovely long nose “fixed”–and didn’t really reappear until she competed on Dancing With the Stars.
    She had already proved she could do comedy (Ferris Beuller’s Day Off), and drama as a leading lady (Dirty Dancing), so why on earth did she feel the need to shorten her distincitive and very pretty nose? It was obviously not holding her career back.
    As a young woman with a fairly distinctive nose myself, I was very disappointed when I found out–there aren’t enough unusual looking leading ladies out there as it is…

Unroast: Today, I love my nose–which a photographer once told me looked very “Rennaissance.”

3. Brook @ To Be Dancing responded on 12 Sep 2011 at 12:28 pm #

I was thinking of going as Ursula for Halloween sometime. Because she may be evil, but she can rock the hell out of a strapless eight-legged gown.
    The other day I noticed that it might be possible to say that I look like Snow White, being as we are both pale with dark hair. Disney is very unimaginative in their portrayal of which characters are “beautiful.” Occasionally dark hair gets a slight nod, even dark skin once, but mostly long, gentle curled, blonde hair on slender, generic featured girls reigns supreme.
    meh.

4. Laurie S. responded on 12 Sep 2011 at 12:46 pm #

Ah, Kate! You’re preachin’ to the choir, sister!

As a big-bottomed girl of a (*ahem*) smaller chest size, I continually balk at the continued out-dated portrayal of villainesses. However, while there may not be any Disney *princesses* with large posteriors, there is a resident Good Girl with a large nose and a hefty back-end in the pantheon of animated heroines:

Nani from Lilo and Stitch!
    Look: (http://gfx1.fdb.pl/efab0ba0b1fda76553c7fcb367ad36e0a147ea12/772×0)

Lilo and Stitch is by far my favorite Disney movie. I remember the first time I saw it in theaters when I was 16-17 years old. When I saw Nani’s legs, my mouth gaped. My heart fluttered. I saw myself! The attractive, sought-after Good Girl heroine had giant legs and a saucy disposition!

Alas, I wish there were more like her…

5. Jennifer responded on 12 Sep 2011 at 1:09 pm #

FWIW, I have always found “bumpy” noses to be interesting and beautiful. Mine is fine I guess – it works well and lets me breathe in air, which is really the most important requirement, but it’s kind of small and boring. Women with wild curly hair and bumpy noses look so much more exotic and exciting. Also, I completely agree with the comment about Jennifer Grey – I liked her looks much better before she had them surgically altered. It’s a shame she felt the need to do that.

6. bethany actually responded on 12 Sep 2011 at 1:10 pm #

You know who I think is stunningly gorgeous, partly *because* of her strong, distinctive, not-at-all delicate nose? Anjelica Huston.

I don’t have a big nose, per se, but I definitely don’t have a petite, saucy, upturned nose. My nose has character, and I like it.

7. Kimmy Sue Ruby Lou responded on 12 Sep 2011 at 1:14 pm #

Oh, I love this for so many reasons. There is the stereotype of what is beautiful and apparently it is the skinny blonde with big tits. And apparently we’re born with this knowledge (like knowing who Elvis is somehow, no matter how old you are!)…Example: my beautiful 7-year old granddaughter loves to play with this “fashion model” website, you know, create yourself online…invariably she builds herself to be blonde and skinny, and I don’t know why. I made the mistake of saying once, “that’s not you Vernessa, you’re prettier than that!” She kept screaming, “it is me! it is me!” I have to mention that my granddaughter has a quadruple heritage…he is 1/4 hispanic, 1/4 african american, 1/4 palestinian and 1/4 caucasian mix…she…is…beautiful! YET…somehow she understands what the stereotype is. GODDAMN Barbies! And Barbara Streisand is a gorgeous woman with a beautiful nose…I’m so glad she didn’t feel the need to change it!

8. ddayporter responded on 12 Sep 2011 at 1:19 pm #

I have a big bumpy nose too, and now that you point it out, I’m really mad at Disney. I mean I was already, but now it’s worse. :)

But! Just had to let you know there’s a character in the Wheel of Time known for her dark hair and bold, hooked nose and also for being beautiful and strong and brave. So. this will do nothing to fix the damage Disney has done, but at least there’s a heroine for you. ..buried in a fantasy series.. not even one of the main characters….. sigh.

9. Kate responded on 12 Sep 2011 at 1:29 pm #

@You guys
    I love it when you all let me know who else is out there– like the Wheel of Time girl and Nani and etc. Hooray for the characters that we can identify with! They’ll be main characters someday. And if they’re not, I’ll just have to write books about them :-)

10. Karin responded on 12 Sep 2011 at 1:43 pm #

When I was little, I really wanted to have a larger nose. Preferably one like my mother had. Both my parents have these funky, straight, larger noses, but noo, I got stuck with my grandmother’s tiny button nose, too small for my face (when I was a baby, they were almost wondering whether I was a changeling, before finding baby pictures of said grandmother).

I haven’t thought about this for quite some time, and now it just makes me smile. I still like all my family’s nasal options, though.

11. Barbara responded on 12 Sep 2011 at 1:55 pm #

Maybe you and your readers should make a list of gorgeous women role models with distinctive noses, starting with Anjelica Huston and Barbra Streisand. I’ll add Meryl Streep and Sarah Jessica Parker.

12. San D responded on 12 Sep 2011 at 1:59 pm #

We are all platypi (or platypusses) in life, made up of a combination of family members parts. Sort of like G*d has a sense of humor about it all, as we flail against our destinies. Personally I think you got your grandfather’s sister’s nose, and the next time we are all together take a look, discreetly of course. As for villans and princesses, Disney is all about fantasy, and their women characters are also platypi, a combination of all of people’s fantasies, and have nothing to do with reality. I would hope that parents would not use Disney characters as role models, but those relatives whose “parts” their children inherited. Their are many “happily ever after” stories in everyone’s family, as there are those characters in our families that make as smile, astonish us, and sometimes even frighten us.

13. Jess responded on 12 Sep 2011 at 1:59 pm #

RE: Jennifer Grey– as it turns out, she wanted something more minor and subtle done (the impetus of which is something we can certainly go bananas debating) and came out the other end an unintentionally new person. As someone who has had more or less the same thing happen, I can say its rough this way too.

14. San D responded on 12 Sep 2011 at 1:59 pm #

should spell check before I post. Sorry everyone!

15. Angela @ MyPinkyToes responded on 12 Sep 2011 at 2:08 pm #

I love this post, and I just wanted to tell you that you are a beautiful writer! I have always loved Disney movies and have had a desire since I was a little girl to grow up and become a princess, but you are so right that there is too much emphasis on looks. No wonder little girls grow up self-concious.

16. Kate responded on 12 Sep 2011 at 2:14 pm #

@Barbara
    It’s true about Barbara Streisand and Meryl Streep, but I feel like since Barbara Streisand, there hasn’t been an example of a gorgeous, kind woman with a nose like hers. We need a new Barbara! And SJP is constantly being called ugly (I don’t think she is, but apparently enough people do that she gets named the Ugliest Woman by Maxim and parodied in South Park as part horse, or something to that effect). Frustrating.

17. Susan F responded on 12 Sep 2011 at 2:34 pm #

How about Barbra Streisand? Story has it she wanted rhinoplasty when she was younger. A very wise surgeon told her never to change her nose, that it would completely alter her singing voice. Thankfully for all of us, she listened. Bigger nose? Better voice!!!!!

18. Catherine responded on 12 Sep 2011 at 2:34 pm #

Big, bumpy, arched noses are one of the coolest facial features ever. Mine is kind of medium-ish, with only a slight tendency towards the truly great (though Hollywood would still disagree, probably) ;) , but my sister’s (who apparently got more of my father’s nose genes than I did) is amazing. And she loves it, too.

Whenever I can create the face of my avatar for a computer game (yeah, I’m a geek ;) ), I go for a big nose, and my characters always end up with the kind of face that gets called “handsome” or “interesting” at best, but rarely “beautiful” or “pretty”. And that’s just fine with me.

19. Raven responded on 12 Sep 2011 at 2:47 pm #

Woah. Let’s start with this one little thing you seem to be ignoring: you /are/ a writer. Not, you “should” be a writer (of course you should), but you already are.

Ok. I had to get that out of the way.

I agree about Disney’s bias. Of course all of the villains you show in those pictures are hot in real-world terms, just not in Disney’s. The Sleeping Beauty story, both in Disney and out, already remark through the voice of the mirror that until Aurora came along, Maleficent was “the fairest in the land.” Ursula was sensual and sexually self-aware, and Mother Gothel wasn’t only alluring, but she worked her charms in every way imaginable (and I’m not talking about her magic).

Walt Disney was anti-semitic and fat-phobic, and that imagery has continued on long past his death. It’s subtle propaganda to show big-nosed women (i.e. Jewish or Eastern European) as evil and fat women as either stupid (e.g.Tilda from The Legend of Sleepy Hollow*), corrupt (e.g. Ursula), or rendered non-threatening due to age (e.g. Mrs. Potts).

When I was a child, my mother dated the manager of a Moroccan belly-dancing troupe that worked for Disney World. Since they had left their children in the care of family members in Morocco, they adopted me for a few months and lavished their attention (along with food, toys, dance lessons, and cheek pinches) on me. However, after a few months, someone within the Disney company complained, saying that some of the female dancers EXCEEDED THE WEIGHT LIMIT, which was around 150 lbs. Gods forbid a belly-dancer have curves, or a woman who works as a performer for Disney be slightly plump. The whole troupe was fired because of the weight–the fat–on some of their female dancers, and I lost touch with them when they left.

Discrimination against most types of beauty is rampant, subtle, and pervasive within our culture. It’s spoon fed to us in childhood through the messages in shows like Disney’s and then later in magazines, films, and advertisements.

*For reference: http://www.firstanimationart.com/sitebuilder/images/IAT_Tilda1-450×425.jpg

20. Raven responded on 12 Sep 2011 at 3:27 pm #

Oh, and I’m full of anticipation now to read your stories of your strong superhero and all her adventures.

21. Courtney responded on 12 Sep 2011 at 3:28 pm #

Love this post. As a girl with a big nose (I’m of Italian/Eastern European descent) it’s nice to know I’m not the only one who gets tired of the pretty Disney princesses. I was pleased when Belle came along–at least she was a brunette, even if she has a tiny nose. I also don’t often see girls who look like me, and when I do I’m always surprised; it’s like wow, I’m not the only one!

22. Lisa responded on 12 Sep 2011 at 6:24 pm #

Cake Wrecks just featured the ideal Disney princess cake:

Thanks helping me feel a little less self-conscious of my big bumpy nose!

23. blackdogramona responded on 12 Sep 2011 at 7:53 pm #

I dislike Disney for many reasons, but the portrayal of and effect on egos of young women is probably the biggest. Ignore him if you can, probably hard if you have kids, though! Ick.

Stacy London? Beautiful roman nose and a gray streak in her hair!
    She may be model-thin, but she does counsel her clients to dress the body they have and rock it!

24. Traci responded on 12 Sep 2011 at 8:44 pm #

I’m surprised no one brought up Princess Jasmine from Aladdin. She has a distinctive nose and is quite pretty and presented as such in the movie. I think Aladdin is to date my favorite Disney movie.

25. pam responded on 12 Sep 2011 at 9:35 pm #

Just had to say I was asking myself the same questions the other day. :P

I want my own disney princess to identify with! ;)

26. Joy responded on 13 Sep 2011 at 10:35 am #

You should definitely write that movie, I would totally watch it! And buy it for my nieces. :)

27. Tempest responded on 13 Sep 2011 at 1:47 pm #

I can make do with being an evil villain I think ;) I have my mother’s nose in my father’s size (Italian meets Jew), but on the other hand, b/c my eyes are so big, if I had a smaller nose, I’d be like one of those weird popular goth cartoons.

A lovely person on youtube posted that I looked like a horse on one of my videos and I thought wow…I always loved horses, they are so beautiful…there are certainly worse creatures to be compared to. :)

Totally rocking the evil villainess horse woman.

28. Deanna responded on 13 Sep 2011 at 3:42 pm #

I once wrote an article about something like this. It was never published but it talked about if Beauty and the Beast were about a beastly woman and a cute prince. Of course that would never happen. I don’t think anyone much liked the article…but it made a good point.

I also had a big nose. I had it fixed in my teens but I was so unhappy about having no role models with big noses. Barbra was the only performer with a big nose and everyone thought she was ugly. Then people would say I looked like her which really hurt because looks were not her strong point (although I will admit she got better looking with age).

I used to hate that there were so few women in movies, magazines, Playboy…sexy, hot women that men desired…that looked like me. I was the type they would come to to discuss books or movies and then want to sleep with the Hottie next door. I’m much older than you Kate…but it still stings.

I was with my mom and sister yesterday and we went on a boat ride in the Pacific. Alongside the commercial boat was a very wealthy man in a great big boat that must have cost about as much as a small African nation and alongside him..Lo and behold…was a gorgeous, skinny blonde with big boobs. I mean how cliche can we get? It seems that men with money, fame or success really want that trophy wife. Makes me really mad!

29. Eat the Damn Cake » check out my perfect princess responded on 15 Sep 2011 at 12:42 pm #

[...] to share it with everyone. This is ETDC reader Laurie Skelton‘s response to my post about how the pretty princesses we’re exposed to growing up never seem to have big noses. Or flat chests and big butts. Or very much that reminds me of myself at all, actually. This [...]

30. I Wish I Wrote These Blogs | The Eclectic Body responded on 19 Sep 2011 at 10:05 am #

[...] week I happened to read two awesome posts on beauty or as I like to put it redefining beauty. Eat the Damn Cake wrote this excellent post titled Where are the big-noised Disney Princesses? I used to love fairy [...]

31. Preferences and Prejudice: Which Is It? « parisianfeline responded on 27 Sep 2011 at 9:09 am #

[...] women (and perhaps men too) spend a lot of time looking at how they’re not represented in the media, and how this somehow suggests they’re not attractive by conventional standards. I’m [...]

32. Kira responded on 21 Oct 2011 at 12:00 pm #

Hi. I just want to say that I love your articles. Especially this one. :) I’m going to go and write one such a story now. ^ ^

33. Commander Banana responded on 03 Nov 2011 at 10:41 am #

Ach, the big nose – I was delighted when Aladdin came out because Jasmine had a larger nose than the standard-issue Disney princess snub nose.

But you’re right, overall, Disney uses the big nose as a shorthand for evil, ugly, or haggy.

34. I wish I wrote these blogs | ChicagoNow responded on 09 Nov 2011 at 7:03 am #

35. Guest post: Why I Write About Body Image… | Rosie Molinary responded on 27 Feb 2012 at 3:41 pm #

[...] job because my big Jewish nose seemed like the opposite of beauty. Because when I told people that famous, beautiful women never have big Jewish noses, they always said, “What about Barbara Streisand?” and that was a long time ago. No one [...]

36. Kate Fridkis: Why I Write About Body Image | 1230 KQUE – Talk Radio that has Houston …. Talking! responded on 01 Mar 2012 at 9:00 am #

37. Body Image Warrior Week: Why I Write About Body Image | Weightless responded on 01 Mar 2012 at 10:20 am #

38. Kate Fridkis: Why I Write About Body Image – - LadyNewsX - Women News AggregatorLadyNewsX – Women News Aggregator responded on 01 Mar 2012 at 10:41 am #

39. Amanda responded on 11 Mar 2012 at 6:17 pm #

I so agree with you, “IT’S TIME TO BRING ON THE BIG NOSE HEROINS, A WOMAN WHOSE NOSE HAS CHARACTER,A WOMAN WITH NOSE THAT NOT ONLY DEFINES BEAUTY BUT STRENGTH “. For too long the petite upturned noses conquered the idea of beauty. I’m a Carribean young woman, with a very round nose. It gave me a great deal of pain growing up in American. After moving here at age 9, people would make fun of how huge or round it was. Of coarse that led to insecurities,which led to me hating my nose, then that evolved into hating my face and my body.
    Right now i’m in high school and there are definitely guys who thinks small noses are more attractive. For Example this guy in my french class, a very tall guy, who i think is not bad looking at all, sit in a group with me and another girl. She has a small to medium nose which he thinks is the most sexiest thing in the world. Everyday in class he would compliment how good she looks and how her face just emanate beauty and When he’s done and has nothing else to do he starts to rag on my nose, about how round it is and how weird it looks. This is an example of how small noses are more superior when it comes to looks than big noses and I thank you for your brilliant article.

40. Laurel responded on 12 Apr 2012 at 7:23 pm #

Thank you so much for addressing this. I have a large, asymmetrical nose that I inherited from my Italian ancestors. I have huge red hair. I am also curvier than a backwoods trail. My waist-to-hip ratio is almost cartoonish. I have to remind myself on a daily basis that this is not a bad thing.
    I’m BEYOND tired of heroines being depicted as having teeny upturned noses and narrow, boyish hips.
    WHERE ARE HAVE THE BODACIOUS WOMEN GONE?? Why are we perceived as threatening?!

41. Haili responded on 22 Apr 2012 at 10:01 pm #

I know how that is. Also the whole mis-matched parts thing. Tiny shoulders, big boobs, 4’9″ huge thighs, big curves, wide nose…

Though I really enjoyed Gail Carson Levine’s take on Snow White, “Fairest.” Aza definitely has parts of her almost every woman can relate to! And she lives in a musical… practically. Listen to the audiobook if you can. You’ll hear what I mean.

42. Why I Write About Body Image | Medicinal Marzipan responded on 23 Jul 2012 at 6:54 pm #

43. Jenna responded on 03 Aug 2012 at 3:00 pm #

Sometimes, if not most of the times, the most beautiful girl could be a villain. I’m not trying to offend anyone but in my experience this is what I believe. I mean come on! In highschool the popular yet mean girls were gorgeous! Disney should be more of a role model to younger girls and make a new image for heroic characters. Still pretty but not the spitting image of a model. It’s nice they are beginning to incorporate new ethnicities now but what about new figures? Or physical characteristics? Yes I know there are some examples of perfect nosed villains but more is what I ask for. And by the way I’ve always thought Malecifant was gorgeous.

44. Jana responded on 15 Aug 2012 at 9:31 am #

What about Princess Jasmin?

45. Alex responded on 18 Aug 2012 at 8:51 pm #

Hi! I own a blog where I help people feel better about their nose bignosesaresexy.tumblr.com and someone just sent me your article here. A few days ago I decided that I will be sending Pixar animation a letter about how they need to make a beautiful character who has a big nose. So many people tell me on my blog how they always wanted that perfect Disney princess nose. I can’t stand for it. We need a princess with a big nose. Since it is impossible to get an address out of Disney, I will be talking to Pixar. I hope someone will listen. But this is something I will definitely be doing. I might even hand write the letter to make it more personal. But I have their address and I plan to do this. I just felt like telling you since it relates so much to your article. Maybe you should send them a letter as well. I would give you their address but their website is down right now. But you can find it easily. I just don’t think they realize what they are doing to all the little girls out there with big noses and I want to make them realize.

46. Ashley responded on 24 Oct 2012 at 8:32 pm #

Pete Townshend is a good disney princess. whoops

47. Mel responded on 20 Mar 2013 at 3:55 am #

I have noticed Disney teaches people to hate women with big noses as they try to class them all as evil meanspirited witches and the blondes with small noses as saintly princesses.

In my life, the most meanspirited women I’ve met were blonde women with small noses. People don’t grow up and continue to act like a bunch of snobby bullies.

48. Mel responded on 20 Mar 2013 at 3:57 am #

Examples, Casey Anthony and Jodi Arias. They look beautiful but are murderers, conceited, sociopathic. Women who try to be way too perfect and come across as self absorbed are the ones who are the witches.

49. Lulu responded on 08 May 2013 at 3:06 am #

I wish there were more articles like this. People always talk about weight and body issues. I would like to see more people talk about how women are treated if they don’t have facial features that society says is normal. I hate how our society still tries to control women by telling us what is “pretty” and what is “ugly”.

It’s not just Disney but most animation is like this when it comes to females. The good and pretty ones all have very tiny noses. “Geeky”, “Girls not seen as pretty” have the large noses no matter the cartoon. Even modern cartoons with evil characters are now drawn “pretty”, most anyway.

It really does suck as someone with a long nose, pretty much all girls in animation have tiny noses. Famous females all have small noses or get surgery to get one. The ones with larger noses are called ugly, manly or horse faced.

Someday I hope society realizes that women are not dolls and we are all born with different body types and facial features. It’s normal and nothing more. If a girl has a “big” nose, she is not manly, evil, flawed or unique, she is NORMAL just like a small nosed girl is normal, we all have normal features. Yet we have different features for a reason, we would look like clones if we didn’t.

50. Anna responded on 23 May 2013 at 7:53 pm #

I loved this post but dude what?!?! There are plenty of examples of people like you looking hot… jesus… I know, we all look at ourselves under a microscope; however, I would trade my “big nose” for your “big nose” any day. My nose looks ok on one side but on the other the tip is huge and is crooked so.. yeah. You’re beautiful and your nose only adds to it.

51. andrew39503 responded on 24 Jun 2013 at 3:41 pm #

Disney heroine with big nose and pretty ”Pocahontas.”

52. andrew39503 responded on 24 Jun 2013 at 3:43 pm #

lilo and stitch

53. lewis responded on 07 Jul 2013 at 3:36 am #

YOu have all these pics of princesses on your website, but none of yourself ;o)

I have a dog named princess big nose, which I how I found your site. I have a picture of her on my site :o )

54. nina responded on 23 Jul 2013 at 6:59 am #

So I thought about Fiona from Shrek and only to discover Shrek is not Disney, it’s Dreamworks.
    Abby Mallard from Chicken Little is pretty good with a big beak.
    Jasmine from Aladdin has a semetic nose.

55. Shauna responded on 09 Feb 2014 at 11:47 am #

I totally agree! I even remember being 12 thinking about how all the princesses had these bunny swooped noses and the villains having a bump on their noses. In all honesty the Disney movies made me even more self conscious about my nose than what I should have! I even felt ugly when thinking about how my nose resembled the witches.

56. Kristen responded on 23 May 2014 at 3:57 pm #

PREACH!!! Disney is ancient in its continued spewing out of the same old archetypal bullshit.

It’s disgusting.

57. Kristen responded on 23 May 2014 at 4:01 pm #

I also have a bump on my nose, and it’s ridiculous that after decades and decades, all recent heroines still have matching cute little swoopy noses, and villains still have “”"ugly”"” noses. It’s disguising that such a rigid definition of beauty (and unoriginality for the heroine’s appearances) is stuck to!

I’d like to point out, it’s not the same for male animated characters / heroes. On the contrary, they boast a range of definitive and attractive noses.

So the lesson here? Men with a “different” nose are hot. Women with a “different” nose are ugly.

Oh the objectification angers me.

58. Kristen responded on 23 May 2014 at 4:03 pm #

Also, I’d like to point out, Pocahontas may may a strong nose, but in images her nose often appears invisible, you can only see her nostrils. Further proof that Disney has no guts to stick to their guns and actually SHOW the lady’s nose lol! No! They erase it!