weird list of thankfulness

A friend of mine was saying, “No one seems very thankful around Thanksgiving. Everyone just seems grumpy. Maybe it’s a bad holiday. Maybe it’s got this negativity because the settlers ate dinner with the Native Americans and then killed them all. Bad vibes.”

“Also,” I said, “It’s not really a harvest festival, because everything’s already gone. Like, the vegetables in the grocery store are already starting to get mealy.”

I’ve been eating a lot of butternut squash. Which is not mealy. I’m gonna stop talking about harvesting and vegetable growing, because I really don’t know what I’m talking about.

But when I thought about it, I liked the idea of trying to think about what I’m thankful for. But I wanted to think of  some of the non-obvious stuff, because that’s more of a challenge (note: I’mfirstlythankfulformyfamilyandBearandmyfriendsandbeingabletowritealotandbeinghealthyandthepeopleIlovebeing,forthemostpart,healthy. There). Ready? Here goes:

I’m thankful for the occasional juicy pimple. They are really fun to pop.

I’m thankful for not getting into that grad school that I thought was the only school for me, even though I sat on the floor by my bed and cried for two days when I got that rejection letter and wrote a sad song on guitar even though I’m bad at playing guitar just because I literally couldn’t get up and go to the keyboard. Because if I had gone to that school, I wouldn’t have come to NYC and I wouldn’t have met Bear. And I wouldn’t be living between two enormous bridges on a cobblestoned street in Brooklyn.

I’m thankful for gaining some weight from when I used to be skinny, because it’s made me think differently about beauty.

I’m thankful for pizza, because it is consistently good. It almost never lets me down.

I’m thankful for this one pair of jeans I have, because they usually look good when nothing else does.

And tweezers because I can’t pull hairs out with my fingers no matter how hard I try and sometimes I get two, exactly two, serious hairs on my chin, and it makes me feel like I’m a freak who is turning into a werewolf, and then I feel like everything is OK after I pull them out.

And those pens with the wet-for-just-second, velvety black ink that you don’t have to work to push into the page.

And my big nose that makes my face difficult and irrevocably different from the face that lovely women are supposed to have. So that I have to look like myself. And so that I have to be even more myself, because there aren’t as many examples of what else to be. And because there is a chance that I am beautiful in a really interesting way. And there is a chance that I will never be very beautiful, but I’ll get to write a lot of essays about it and I’ll become a better writer.

I am thankful for boots with heels. They are cute.

I am thankful for learning more and more that everyone is insecure.

I am thankful for not being depressed now the way I was really recently. But I want to write about that later and not even think about it now because I’m so relieved.

I am thankful for no longer living in a building with a scary super.

I am thankful for cheese.

(yes! yes! yes! source)

And for those slightly bendy spatulas.

And lab-produced insulin, which keeps way too many people I love alive.

And for my fingers, which are typing these words as I think them. My body is cool.

This is a little corny, but I’m thankful for you guys. Happy Thanksgiving, American readers! Everyone else– hope you have a good Thursday tomorrow! What’s a weird thing you’re thankful for? Or, you know, a regular thing? I’d love to read about it.

Unroast: Today I love my shoulders. Square, sturdy. Like a dude’s. But not really.

New cake pics!! Yay!!! Keep ‘em coming!

She actually baked that. So much respect.

Kate on November 23rd 2011 in beauty, being different, body, food

18 Responses to “weird list of thankfulness”

1. Novice Wife responded on 23 Nov 2011 at 1:53 pm #

Cheese!!!!! x a thousand.

And here’s a weird one – picking nail polish off. Something about that has been deeply satisfying to me since I was a little girl with the peel-off super pink nail polish that I rarely even let dry before I started trying to peel it off.

2. Jennifer Jo responded on 23 Nov 2011 at 2:10 pm #

I’m thankful I get to homeschool my children even though most of the time I’m craving time away from them.

3. Lynn responded on 23 Nov 2011 at 3:01 pm #

Cheese!!!!! SOOOO Thankful for cheese (and pizza!!!)

Hmmmm, weird thankfulness: (as you said, aside from family, friends, health, etc)

-skinny jeans and knee-high boots

- the journals, notebooks and steno pads that I keep strewn around my home and my desk at work so that if something good occurs to me I can write it down before I forget it

-Ice Cream

-The fact that I have come to a place of self-esteem where I actually do believe that I have Acting Talent, Singing Talent, and Cooking Talent :)

-That although there are areas of my body I’m very unhappy with, the list of areas I AM happy with is much longer :)

-Bread

-Quilts

- my parents signing me up for an adapted Shakespeare summer theatre program when I was 12 years old and the lifelong love-affair that followed :)

-My stove

-My fireplace

-Water

There are lots more, those were just the first ones to come into my head :)

4. San D responded on 23 Nov 2011 at 3:51 pm #

I’m thankful that I can walk and see, two things that are taken for granted, but as you get older you realize you might not be able to soon.

I’m thankful for kitty nuzzles, nutella, the sound of laughter, my husbands bushy eyebrows, and good dirt (yup, all things come from dirt, think garden).

5. Lucy responded on 23 Nov 2011 at 4:07 pm #

I’m thankful for house cats, specifically my little guy, because no matter what kind of day I’m having he makes it better just by mewing at me.

I’m thankful for my family, because they try to keep an open mind and they’ve always been super fun. I’m thankful for the family holidays we always took when I was a kid – nothing fancy, but not many of my friends have such fond memories, or as widely diverse ones as I do.

I’m thankful for my newfound independence; sometimes things are still tough but I have learned who I am and what I can do about it.

I’m in Canada so my Thanksgiving has come and gone, but I hope you have a good one!

6. P Flooers responded on 23 Nov 2011 at 4:38 pm #

I’m thankful that when I get some alone time in the car away from my beloved unschooled children I can listen to Nirvana and Led Zeppelin really loud. I’m thankful for cows on small farms. I’m thankful for good blogs. And I’m thankful an old friend taught me to sleep on my side with one or the other of my knees pulled up all night –which solves all sorts of aging aches and pains.

7. Anna responded on 23 Nov 2011 at 5:35 pm #

The Subway sandwich shop in my local Wal-Mart. It has fed me (and my brother) for many days when my parents left town and we were consistently helpless when it came to cooking.

8. Anna responded on 23 Nov 2011 at 5:36 pm #

Oh, and cake. Cake is nice.

9. Rachel W. responded on 24 Nov 2011 at 1:11 am #

“I am thankful for learning more and more that everyone is insecure.”

I’m thankful that there are people out there saying things like this.

And for those pens. Goddamn.

10. {two in one} | the everyday responded on 24 Nov 2011 at 11:04 am #

11. Brenna responded on 24 Nov 2011 at 11:35 am #

I am thankful for realizing that even brilliant people have mentors.

I am also thankful for my awesome large feet that I introduce like a crazy uncle to my friends and acquaintances (I have long loved these feet–one of my first Instant Message screen names that I created in middle school was ‘bigfootgoddess’–though I have only recently realized that it sounds as if I was a worshiper of bigfoot…):

Me: “So, I order most of my shoes off the internet because I have these ridiculously large feet….”

Them: ^looking at my feet^ “Really? They don’t look that big!”

Me: “Yeah, they fit my stature quite well, they are just large.”

I am also thankful that more shoe companies are producing cute shoes for females with size-11 feet!

12. Chiara responded on 24 Nov 2011 at 11:45 am #

I’m not an American reader – actually, I’m an Italian one! I’ve been reading your blog for months (cause I like it!), and your challenge about what being grateful of encouraged me to comment. so here it goes.

I’m grateful for living between Rome and Southern Italy – which means between new and old friends, family and friends, between city and wild seaside. It’s like being lost and belonging to two places at the same time. It’s living contraddiction!
    I’m grateful for feeling low and empty and being amazed by seeing how everything is full of beauty at the same time.
    I’m grateful for the occasional crossing a stranger’s eyes. And for the occasional laughter with strangers in the street.
    I’m grateful for pumpkin. with olive oil and red onions. and black pepper. lots of.

13. Thankful « Tyler & Chip responded on 24 Nov 2011 at 12:30 pm #

[...] of my favorite blogs recently did a post on non-obvious things that she was thankful for. I thought this was a great [...]

14. craftosaurus responded on 24 Nov 2011 at 9:51 pm #

Several people I know have been posting things they’re thankful for this November. It’s been really fun to see.

I’m thankful for lots of stuff, major and minor, but today I think I’m most thankful for the self esteem that allows me to accept and appreciate all the goodness I have in my life.

15. Patsy Williams responded on 25 Nov 2011 at 3:01 pm #

I am 73 and glad to still be alive. Life is so peaceful and full of fun and joy. Two of my grown children got 2 A’s each in their late blooming college careers recently. Youngest son gave me my first official grandchild in June. This son of mine finished college several years ago. Also glad for my greyish-brown hair which looks cute with my haircut and bangs. And thankful for Nebraska winning the football game against Iowa today!

16. Kate responded on 25 Nov 2011 at 6:16 pm #

@Patsy
    Congratulations on your first grandchild!!! That is kickass.

Sorry, that was the first expression that jumped into my head.

My grandmother also really likes football.

And yay for your hair looking good! After my last haircut, I wore a lot of makeup and big jewelry for like two weeks, to compensate. So I’m a little jealous :-)

17. Sooz responded on 28 Nov 2011 at 9:29 pm #

@novice wife i LOVE picking my nail polish off!!
    @Kate Awesome thankful list. :)

18. Five for Friday :: Gratitude Edition | Nourishing the Soul - A forum on body image and the effects of eating disorders responded on 02 Dec 2011 at 7:56 am #

[...] at Eat the Damn Cake sorta has a way with words, and her take on thankfulness is no exception. Love [...]