eat that ice cream!

A reader named Jackie sent me some photos of herself eating ice cream, along with this note. I asked her if I could publish it, because I wanted to share her story.

As a long-time lurker of Eat the Damn Cake, I’ve always admired the women who sent in pictures of themselves eating that cake. They looked so happy and carefree. There was once a time when I never thought I’d feel that way about cake–I had an eating disorder for nine long years. It came and went in terms of intensity and form, but it was always there. Big family events were always punctuated by trips to the bathroom or serious food gymnastics to avoid the calories. I wasted a sad amount of time during my teenage years hating myself and being scared and anxious.

But this is me, eating ice cream, exactly two years after the last time I purged. I look happy and carefree. I don’t feel that way all the time, but today, I definitely do. And I feel proud. I’ve got that recovery swagger now, and it makes eating cake no longer daunting. For anyone out there struggling—recovery is totally possible (for me, it took admitting myself into treatment)! And it will happen, if you’re ready for it and you deeply want it. Eat the damn (metaphorical and literal) cake and work for what you want.

Jackie is a sometimes feminist/sex/body image blogger at a sadly now private blog (or else she would give you the link), but mostly, she teaches high school history at an alternative school in Camden, NJ, and lives in Philly. She is a recent graduate of Smith College (’11!), and loves all things feminist, puppies, and writing. And ice cream.

Jackie’s Unroast: Today, I love my shoulders. They’re kinda big for my petite frame, but they look strong.

P.S. Kate here– check out my piece about one special Valentine’s Day, over at the Frisky

Kate on February 11th 2012 in food, guest post

13 Responses to “eat that ice cream!”

1. Melanie responded on 11 Feb 2012 at 1:13 pm #

I’m glad she let you post the letter. What a strong lady!

2. Staci responded on 11 Feb 2012 at 1:45 pm #

Jackie, you are a strong soul and spirit. :]
    I admire you so much for letting this get posted, and also for overcoming your struggles. Congratulations, kudos to you, and stay strong!
    I hope to achieve that feat that you have one day, and be happy!

3. Jenifer responded on 11 Feb 2012 at 9:27 pm #

Jackie, thank you for the courage to write this, and Kate, thank you for posting this! I know the struggles you had, and appreciate the strength not only to eat but also to share these ice cream pictures.

4. Emily responded on 12 Feb 2012 at 2:05 pm #

Don’t worry. I can’t do those 18 things women can do that you just don’t understand, either. (I didn’t know where else to post this, and I didn’t want to just throw it on ‘thefrisky.com’… I love you a little bit. <3

5. Kate responded on 12 Feb 2012 at 2:21 pm #

@Emily
    Ha! No problem. I think Jackie will probably forgive you :-)
    Thanks for following me back here!

6. Alissa responded on 12 Feb 2012 at 6:45 pm #

Great post. I finally recovered from ED-NOS slowly and with help over several years, and it feels awesome! I know what you mean about the recovery swagger =) Congratulations (or more like, good work!) on your recovery and your even just sometimes happy and carefree times! (as we know, happy and carefree times are non-existent during an ED!).

7. Jackie responded on 12 Feb 2012 at 6:47 pm #

I appreciate all of these lovely comments!

8. Kimmy Sue Ruby Lou responded on 13 Feb 2012 at 11:15 am #

love it! yay jackie! i have a teenage daughter struggling with this now…will forward this to her!

9. Kali responded on 13 Feb 2012 at 11:22 am #

Jackie I’m so proud of you. Thank you for sharing your story.

10. Lynn responded on 13 Feb 2012 at 2:22 pm #

Nice job, Jackie! You certainly look very happy :)

11. The Georgia Billboard Project Reached Its Goal! responded on 13 Feb 2012 at 7:26 pm #

[...] While we’re celebrating things, a BIG hug to my girl Jackie, who is over on Eat The Damn Cake eating ice cream to celebrate two years of eating disorder recovery. Yay! (Backstory: Y’all [...]

12. Taylor responded on 13 Feb 2012 at 8:28 pm #

Good for you Jackie, you’re beautiful.

And I’m a little jealous, because now I want ice cream and it’s gross out and I don’t want to go to the store. :(

13. Claire Walsh responded on 15 Feb 2012 at 2:17 am #

Good for you, Jackie! Now I want ice cream too, but sadly the store is closed. Darn it.