buzzcut beauty

This is a guest post from Rebecca Neff Brown. She sent me a photo of herself with buzzed hair and I was like, “OH MY GOD, Please write a guest post for me!” Because she is obviously awesome, and because I am a passionate proponent of buzzcuts. I’m letting her introduce herself:

I’m a personal stylist and fat fashion blogger. I live in Seattle, WA with my beardly and amazing husband, Bob, and our little, furry dog named Waffles. Recently I got a buzzcut, and I love it, and now I am going to tell you ALL about it.

I knew it was coming. The buzzcut.

I had grown my hair out for years after a particularly jarring haircut that made me look, in my husband’s words, like a Romulan. After two years of growing it out, it was luscious and long and braidable. I got tired of it and just cut it all off one day. Not buzzed-short, but short. And then I got it cut shorter. Then I buzzed the sides. Then I cut the top shorter…. It was calling to me, the buzzcut. It was only a matter of time before I went all the way.

It was rainy and freezing, and I found an amazing parking spot right across the street from the barber shop where my husband gets his hair cut. I felt like it was destiny, getting a good parking spot like that. The shop wasn’t crowded at all, it was a Thursday afternoon. Out came the clippers with the #4 guard, and off came my hair.

And readers? I love it.

It’s taken away all of my anxiety about my hair, about it not looking right, the annoyance I felt when it got in my face and eyes.

And it’s so easy to deal with! Just wash it and towel dry and it looks the only way it is capable of looking.

So, yeah, daring? Maybe, but I gotta say I kinda love being the fat lady with a buzzcut wearing a super girly outfit. It’s… challenging, somehow.

Also, I feel more comfortable in my own skin, like my hair is no longer a part of my “look”. It’s been taken out of the picture completely. I can wear whatever I want, do whatever I want. Like Kate said back when she cut all her hair off – “It makes me bolder. I look bold, so I begin to act more confident”.

But fat women aren’t supposed to have short hair, right? I’ve read that countless places on the internet and heard it in real life many times, usually spoken in a bit of a wistful tone. Like the woman saying it really wants someone to give her permission to cut her hair short and feel fabulous.

Well, I give you permission, if you need it. Go forth and be awesome with your hair as short as you want it to be! I’ll be cheering you on from here.

——
Unroast: Today I love the way I look in a super frilly dress and heels with a buzzcut.

Kate on March 18th 2012 in beauty, body, guest post

40 Responses to “buzzcut beauty”

1. annabanana responded on 18 Mar 2012 at 9:53 pm #

It’s really cute!!! I just cut my hair only a little longer than yours a few days ago, and there’s been a lot of variety in the reactions I get as a freshman in high school :) Cutting your hair is INCREDIBLE. I want to dye it blue next.

2. Hannah responded on 18 Mar 2012 at 10:12 pm #

I love cutting my hair short. I just feel more me when I do. When I first did it in tenth grade (just a short cut, not buzzed), it felt great but I felt kind of like I should let it grow out, so I could be “girly” in the right way, even though I have never really felt that that fits me. Now, I cut it all off again, and it’s great. It definitely makes me feel more confident, and I like the fact that it’s clearly a chosen haircut, not just like a default long one. A lot of people buzz their hair at my college, and I keep thinking about it…maybe I will next year, just to see what it’s like. It seems really freeing.

Also, you look great! Short hair always makes me feel more feminine, and long hair always makes me feel like my hair is wearing me, not the other way around. It’s nice to be able to cut it off.

3. Rebecca - we are large people responded on 18 Mar 2012 at 10:47 pm #

Thanks so much for your sweet comments annabanana and Hannah (tee hee, rhymes!)!

4. Also Kate responded on 18 Mar 2012 at 11:11 pm #

Oh my goodness – not only do I love the hair, I LOVE your outfit! Where is the clippy thing from, the one that keeps the sweater from flapping open? I have wanted something like that for a long time (big boobs; sweaters and drapey vests and things tend to fly outward and stay there) and that one is gorgeous!

(I’ll settle for knowing what it’s called, if it’s homemade or was a gift or something. Searching “clip that keeps sweaters from flapping open” on Google is a no-go.)

I had friends in college with buzzcuts, and hands down my very favorite part was how fuzzy and soft they were. I actually had one friend who kept her hair buzzed mostly because she loved having people run their hands over her head, and with a buzzcut, everyone wanted to run their hands over her head. :)

5. Sarah responded on 18 Mar 2012 at 11:29 pm #

You look incredible. Easy does it.

6. Sarah responded on 18 Mar 2012 at 11:30 pm #

Also, I forgot that ‘easy does it’ is an idiom that means something other than ‘look how easy that haircut is and how great it looks’. Sorry about that. Ha.

7. Sarah responded on 19 Mar 2012 at 12:42 am #

You look amazing! I wish I had the self confidence to relax when it comes to my personal style as a plus size woman. But I feel so much pressure to look better when I’m fat because I feel like I have to compensate for the fact that I’m fat.

PS Where did you get that adorable dress?

8. Val responded on 19 Mar 2012 at 12:56 am #

Cute and fun, and polka dots. Awesome.

One of my daughters wanted a haircut like Emma Watson. I said sure.

Well, Emma Watson has a haircut like what we used to call a pixie when I was a kid.

I didn’t know!

And as the hair got very short–surprise, it was absolutely lovely: the curve of her neck, how it flattered her beautiful eyes and it’s perfect.

It’s perfectly her.

Rebecca, you go, Girl. love, Val

9. Rebecca - we are large people responded on 19 Mar 2012 at 2:13 am #

Also Kate – it’s called a “sweater guard” or “sweater clips”. This one was a gift but there are lots of them on etsy! Go nuts, they are often inexpensive!

Sarah – the dress is from avenue.com!

Thanks everyone for your lovely and sweet comments!

10. Rebecca - we are large people responded on 19 Mar 2012 at 2:40 am #

Oh, Sarah, I also wanted to add that I also feel pressure to dress more carefully since I am fat… like, it is really easy for people to label me as a sloppy fat lady because, to many, the fat is what makes fat people look sloppy. So sometimes dressing up is a defense, and sometimes it’s a big middle finger to the world that would tell me I’m a slob because I’m fat.

But other times I wear sweatpants and a hoodie in public without feeling bad in the least.

So I can definitely identify with what you are saying!

11. ilde responded on 19 Mar 2012 at 10:04 am #

In South Africa we have a cancer awareness drive called Shavathon. Every few months the Cancer Association of South Africa (Cansa) sets up their kit in shopping malls or big stores all over the country. Then you make a donation of R50 (about $7, I think) and they shave off all your hair! Alternatively, if you don’t want to take things that far, you can have your hair colour-sprayed. I’ve gone buzz-cut and colour-spray, and both feel great – because of making a contribution towards cancer awareness, research and treatment.

So you rock that style, lady!

12. Jennifer responded on 19 Mar 2012 at 10:57 am #

I’m currently in the process of growing out my pixie cut (it wasn’t buzzed, but I had it pretty short for over a year)… it has been a sloooow process. You’re making me want to give up and cut it off again!

13. Melanie responded on 19 Mar 2012 at 11:02 am #

She looks so good with that ‘do. And I’m in love with her sweater, dress, and sweater chain. Could she be any cuter? I say no.

14. geetabix responded on 19 Mar 2012 at 11:48 am #

Hannah I think you have put your finger on what I always felt – “long hair makes me feel like my hair is wearing me.” I had very short hair from 20-29 and just this past year started to grow it out a bit. I am giving it to June to see if I like it at shoulder length, but otherwise back to the scissors!

15. Sheryl responded on 19 Mar 2012 at 12:09 pm #

I’ve always loved the ease and feeling of short hair, and admired how amazing women with buzzed hair or bald heads end up looking.

16. Kimmy Sue Ruby Lou responded on 19 Mar 2012 at 1:12 pm #

adorable, fuzzy, fabulous! if i wasn’t leo with fondness for big, chunky hair and lotsa hairspray, i’d do it myself…really cute!

17. Sarai responded on 19 Mar 2012 at 1:28 pm #

Do it to it Rebecca! My friend Rebecca ( there’s a super cool thing going on amongst the Rebecca’s of today it seems.. ;o) had a buzz cut about a year ago and I was SO obsessed! She looked like a freaking beauty queen, rocker chick, glittering celestial stunning star! I totally support short hair, big hair, whatever hair, as long as it works for the person! Thanks for your fondness of and passion to push the envelope! :o D

18. Stacey responded on 19 Mar 2012 at 1:30 pm #

You look fantastic! I’ve wanted a buzzcut for about ten years now – it started out as more of a rebellious desire in college, because it seemed like something that would shock and horrify my family, and I was really into doing things like that at the time, but now I just want one because I think it would look and feel great! You’ve made me seriously consider finally doing it. Although I should probably wait for a month until my friend’s wedding is over (I’m a bridesmaid), because I don’t think she would appreciate it if I was nearly bald in all her wedding photos :)

19. Krystina responded on 19 Mar 2012 at 1:47 pm #

I don’t know how I really feel about buzz cuts anymore. When you have your head shaved during surgery to remove a brain tumor and wake up with 40 staples instead..it sucks. I have been growing my hair out since and when I go to the hospital and see other patients who have lost their hair due to chemo it makes me sick. I was told February 29 that I have brain cancer. I am still trying to get to that place where I am ok with saying, “I have cancer.” My tumor will also grow back eventually and I am dreading having to repeat this process again. Rebecca, you look lovely. You are rockin’ the buzz cut.

20. Emily responded on 19 Mar 2012 at 1:49 pm #

Rebecca, you are so far beyond awesome I don’t even know how to chart it in my brain. You’re one of my new heroes and I want to feel the way you look like you feel in the first picture. Thanks for being awesome.

21. Lynellekw responded on 19 Mar 2012 at 2:52 pm #

@annabanana – I dyed my (waist-length) hair blue for my 31st birthday. I spent a long time looking to find the right dark-blue dye. I loved it, but blue is a really high-maintenance colour for long hair… it rubs off on your ears, your cheeks, your pillowcases, your neck… nevermind that after the dying was complete I resembled a Smurf from the fingertips to the elbows. I would TOTALLY recommend blue on short hair, though.

@Krystina – I’ve not had to deal with a tumor, but I woke up after the first surgery to drain a brain abcess & my first clear thought was: “my hairdresser won’t like this…” Did you love the first time you could have a shower & wash your hair after surgery? That was such a great day, I was willing to ignore the fact that I’d had to be arranged stark naked in the bathroom for a nurse to wield the shower for me.

22. Rebecca - we are large people responded on 19 Mar 2012 at 2:53 pm #

You are all so sweet – thank you for stopping by and commenting!

Krystina – Thanks for sharing your thoughts – I can’t even imagine how loaded a shaved head/buzzcut must be for you after all you’ve been through.

23. Krystina responded on 19 Mar 2012 at 3:04 pm #

@Lynellekw – My first time washing my hair I cried. Then I felt like a jackass for doin so. I really didn’t have much left and I wasn’t allowed to get the staples wet. They don’t prepare you for that at all. It has since grown back – a lot. I’m not totally “diggin” my current hair style right now, but glad I got hair. I kinda resemble Mrs.Brady Bunch..but I’m a brunette. LOL

24. Anna responded on 19 Mar 2012 at 4:29 pm #

I’ve wanted to buzz part of my hair (just a chunk on the right) So I can have the satisfaction of knowing I’ve done something daring like that with something as long-term as hair, plus whenever I see people with just a chunk of their hair short like that, it always allows for great hair versatility. However, I’ve always been hesitant because I didn’t think it would compliment me round face.

I just might now.

25. Lynellekw responded on 19 Mar 2012 at 4:33 pm #

@krystina – the thing I was most annoyed about them not preparing me for was that every time I bent down (or held my breath, or any number of other things) my head HURT. They could have prepped me for that.

26. Shannoetry responded on 19 Mar 2012 at 5:13 pm #

I love your buzz cut and your outfit – tres cute, indeed!

A lot of Kate’s posts recently have been about the short hair, so I’m starting to wonder about what us long-haired gals can contribute? I see my hip-length hair as a buck to the norm. It’s much longer than what most consider ‘long’, and it’s definately longer than any of the women I know. And it’s a lot of work to take care of long hair and keep it healthy, as opposed to just ‘long’. (I don’t think there are a lot of people out there who will invest that kind of time). But if short hair – especially extremely short hair – is “brave”, “bold” and “powerful”, then my long hair is, what? “Cowardly?”

27. Kate responded on 19 Mar 2012 at 5:23 pm #

@Shannoetry
    Have they? I wasn’t aware– but maybe short hair just gets incorporated into my thoughts about my appearance more, now that I have it.

I don’t think it has to be so clear cut– short is good so long is bad. I don’t think ANYTHING about appearances has to be that clear cut. But it’s true that some things are standard and some things are unusual. And the unusual is often the option that interests me, in terms of talking about beauty.

That said, really long hair is unusual. And hair of any length can be a statement, an important part of someone’s identity, a challenge, or just another part of you, that you don’t even think about.

Maybe you should write a post about YOUR hair? I’d love to read it!

28. annabanana responded on 19 Mar 2012 at 6:55 pm #

@Lynellekw
    That’s good to know! How did you dye it, salon, or at home?

@everyone
    I’m really loving this blog, just found it over the weekend :) Kate, you’re a super good writer and I really identified with a lot of the stuff you talk about!!!

29. Abby responded on 19 Mar 2012 at 8:20 pm #

I got my head shaved to raise money for cancer research in 7th grade…I ended up becoming a lot more confident. And as my hair grew back and I grew up more, I was better able to take care of my hair. After the buzzcut, I didn’t cut it until this summer. I was going off to college and decided that I wouldn’t have time to take care of long hair–so I donate 17 1/2 inches.

For me, I started to think of my hair as a gift. I grow it out to donate it when I can. And it’s interesting, how it feels…I always felt it looked more “pretty” long, and more “cute” short. But I’ve only ever felt “sexy” with short hair, although I don’t know if that’s because of my change in body image or because I really like how my hair curls when it’s short. It might seem weird, but each of these adjectives has a definite distinction for me, and I’m growing to enjoy being pretty, cute, or sexy depending on what I choose to wear. I don’t know if I’d ever go back to a buzzcut again, but I’m definitely enjoying my shorter hair!

30. contrary kiwi responded on 19 Mar 2012 at 8:42 pm #

@Shannoetry

Cutting your hair short is often against the norm in our countries (especially mine) and so to a lot of people it’s brave to ignore that norm and just do what we like. Likewise, colouring your hair or cutting it in a different style – or having it much longer than usual – is against the norm and can be considered brave.

It’s not about being long or short, it’s about doing what you want with your hair regardless of what people tell you to do.

31. Lynellekw responded on 20 Mar 2012 at 4:06 pm #

@annabanana – I did it myself at home. I bought some cheap plastic disposable tablecloths & spread them around the bathroom to prevent any accidental stains, and scrubbed the bath & shower (and me) thoroughly afterwards. Managed not to make any stains except for one tiny spot. I’d tried dying it blue once before, but I bleached it first thinking it would take the colour better & it finished up green. Not even a funky green, but more of a weird mouldy green. Do some research before choosing a dye – some brands last better than others (it washes out really fast). Also try putting a little bit of the dye into your usual shampoo to help the colour last in your hair, and accept that you’ll have to check yourself for skin stains afterward!

32. Sarah responded on 20 Mar 2012 at 9:02 pm #

It’s like the buzz cut was creeping up and you! Then you turned around and saw it:)

33. Rebecca - we are large people responded on 20 Mar 2012 at 10:21 pm #

Sarah – yes, indeed :)

I buzzed it even shorter last week and I love it more! #3 guard forever.

Thanks everyone for your sweet comments and making me feel so welcome here on Kate’s blog!

34. Tina responded on 21 Mar 2012 at 8:39 pm #

It’s funny because while short hair is taboo for “fat chicks”, I feel like very long hair is also taboo. Nothing to draw attention to one’s self, I guess.

35. Sooz responded on 22 Mar 2012 at 5:55 pm #

You’re an inspiration! I am now feeling much prouder of my own very short hair (not buzz cut but close). Thanks for a super post!

36. Rebecca responded on 22 Mar 2012 at 8:11 pm #

You are deliciously adorable–buzzcut, body, and all.

Um.

Can I steal that dress?

37. tirzahrene responded on 25 Mar 2012 at 11:04 am #

Love it! Right now my hair is turquoise and growing out from years of a pixie cut. Someday I’ll buzz it, I’m sure.

38. Emily responded on 14 Apr 2012 at 12:15 am #

Aww man nice hair. I cut my hair in a pixie a few months ago and each time I go for a trim I seem to get a little shorter. It’s like the more hair I cut off the better I feel… regardless of how I look. Last time my lady asked if I wanted to shave the back and I let her after I said I wanted the back and sides real short. The top still has a little volume but I love how short it is. I’m sure I’ll end up buzzing it soon for fun and I also kind of want to dye it (black or blonde can’t decide) cause people say you shouldn’t die red hair… but when it’s an inch long it will grow out in a month if I don’t like it.

But if I dye my hair black and get a buzz cut I’ll look exactly like my mom circa when I was born… now she has very long very “young” hair but maybe it’s genetic. I just feel better with short short hair.

Oh and about the fat with short hair thing… I have felt that that is a rule. I’m “skinny” these days but last time I had very short hair I was of an “average” size and it took me a few months to convince myself that yest I could pull off short hair without visible ribs… short hair is too much fun to miss out on for such a silly reason.

39. Eat the Damn Cake » i like the person i am without my hair responded on 15 May 2012 at 6:52 pm #

[...] played tricks and I’d trimmed it a little and tried gel to tame it—and I’d forgotten what it feels like to get a buzz cut. The way your ears appear newborn. The way your face is brought into sharp clarification. [...]

40. Carol responded on 01 Jun 2012 at 4:04 am #

Actually I love long hair. Tryed to grow it for 48 years but never got much past my shoulders. I’m insanely jealous of people with beautiful long hair. My hair is so thin. pony tail was about as big around as my little finger. Finally in January I gave up and got it cut short. And I kept going shorter too. Finally I buzzed down to an inch & actually like it. But I saw a cute pic with the back longer, so I think I’m going to let the back grow some & keep the front buzzed to an inch. I do like it as it stands up fluffy. a little VO5 and it gets a little greasy looking & spikey. Kind of fun to play with. All that said though, I never would have gotten it cut if it had been nice thick & healthy!