what are the other things you do that make you who you are?

I am a writer now, but when I was a little girl, I thought I would grow up to be a painter. After all, I painted nearly every day. And when I wasn’t painting, I was drawing. Mostly princesses. Sometimes their stepsisters, who always turned out not to be evil in the stories in my head. The princesses also always had brown hair. That was important.

Sometimes I drew cats, because I secretly wished that I was part cat, or at least would end up being able to communicate with cats psychically (at eight or so, I finally had to admit that I still couldn’t understand cat thoughts, but to this day, I have dreams with cats in them more than I think the ordinary person does, soo…just sayin’).

I started drawing as soon as I could hold a pastel, and I didn’t stop until I was maybe seventeen.

When I was fifteen, I put a bunch of my canvasses in an enormous plastic carry-case and went to New York City, to an art school fair at Pratt, where schools had set up booths and for the first few minutes, it seemed like I was the only person there not wearing black.

“You are really talented,” I was told by several schools. “But you’re too young. Why are you here?”

I was there because I painted all the time.

(rejection makes me feel like this)

It’s been almost a year since I last played keyboard. My senior year of college, I played nearly every day. I had a beat up, sized down silver keyboard on a stand, and I wrote music constantly. Song after song about the parking lot that my dorm room looked over, and what it might symbolize about life. Song after song about the guy who acted like he liked me back and then seemed to change his mind. Occasionally I wrote about both things at the same time:

“All the cars in the parking lot are waiting, waiting, but they play it cool/ I know, I know exactly what I want/ but there are so many rules…”

See what I did there? It’s like I’m the cars! I’m so clever. So very clever.

(That’s what I was thinking when I wrote those lyrics.)

I always forget that on my OKCupid profile—the one that Bear read before he sent me the message that started our relationship—I called myself a singer-songwriter. That was the first thing I said about myself.

He asked me if I performed my music a lot. Actually, I never had. Actually, when he asked me that, I realized that I never had. So why had I put that? Why had I identified myself that way in a city full of real singer-songwriters with record deals and concert tours or at least a long string of open mics.

Because I’d been writing songs since I  was fourteen. Because when I said goodbye at the train station to the boy who acted like he liked me back, and goodbye meant goodbye forever, I went straight to my keyboard and wrote a song about it. I was sitting there without my shirt on, because it was hot, but I didn’t have time to take off my pants. I was sitting there without my shirt, but with my jeans and boots on, and I was writing a song that had this lyric “I swam the river Styx/ I crossed every last line/ I waited at the gates of hell, but he wouldn’t let me inside.” The piano part pounded. I played it over and over, until I felt better. And really, I felt better.

I played that song for the first time in over a year the other night. My fingers still knew the notes. I knew where it swelled, and where it fell tremblingly back.

Sometimes, suddenly, I even get the urge to paint. I want to paint naked women, emerging out of blocks and curtains of color. I want to paint with metallic gold on cream. I want to paint in every shade of red.

And I remember that I used to be a painter, even I never ended up going to art school.

As a teenager, my interests rotated through a cycle. One month I was recording music for hours every day. The next, I was working on a book about a queen who had fallen in love with a servant. The next, I was painting portraits of all the characters in that book. My identity hovered above the turns of the cycle. It was all of those things. It was bigger, too. It was based on the push inside me. The drive to constantly create new things.

For my first year out of grad school, I was sort of a mess. I was a writer without any real proof.  I had picked it, because I knew I wanted it, because I’d always written, and also because you have to pick a thing, eventually, and I was no longer a student.

“What do you do?” people asked. They meant “What are you?”

“I’m a writer,” I said, and it felt like it was just another word. Like I was just another kid in Brooklyn who had a notebook with some ideas in it for a novel they would probably never write.

I felt like I’d never done anything. Like I was nothing. I felt like I couldn’t even do the one thing I’d picked.

But that was never true. I had already written a book about a queen who loved a servant. And a whole collection of songs, just about parking lots and love. And the paintings. The one of the naked woman wearing a tallis (traditional Jewish prayer shawl), that perched behind my desk all through college and intimidated anyone who came back to my dorm room.

I am not a great performer. My songs, in front of other people, often come out squeaky. My fingers fumble over the keys. I have never really wanted to fill a gallery with my paintings. My technique is not very refined, anyway. You can tell, I’m impatient, I’m still bad at hands.

There are so many things that I do that I don’t need to share with the world. That don’t demand attention. That won’t become careers and won’t be subjected to critics and won’t be compared and measured and ranked. Sometimes I forget that I am those things, too. Not just the things I hold out to the world. Not just the things that my byline clings to the bottom of. Not just the things on my resume or the quick bios I write for myself that have to be both careless and impressive-sounding. Not just the things that fit into the one word– “writer”– I get to describe who I am now. Who I have grown up to be.

Sometimes I forget that “writer” isn’t all of who I am. There isn’t a word for that. Even “artist” seems vague, and so I don’t know the word for still wanting to create new things.

I am a writer now. I have the evidence. But when I was a little girl, I thought I would grow up to be a painter. And you know what? I think maybe I did.

(the naked woman in the tallis. she’s been with me for a while now.)

What are the other things you do, that make you who you are?

Unroast: Today I love the colors in my skin. There are a lot of them.

Here is an awesome picture of a reader eating cake and wearing what appear to be fantastic green pants. Send me your cake pic soon!

P.S. Stay tuned for a clothing giveaway. I think that might start tomorrow.

Kate on May 21st 2012 in life, uplifting, work, writing

34 Responses to “what are the other things you do that make you who you are?”

1. margosita responded on 21 May 2012 at 1:16 pm #

This reminds me of Stephen Colbert interviewing James Franco. Now, I am torn about how I feel about James Franco. Mostly because the writer in me can’t help feeling resentful of all the inside tracks he gets to publishing and literary successes just by virtue of being famous and having a name he can sell anything with. But he did give a charming interview with Stephen Colbert (I think), in which he defended himself and wondered why he only got to be one thing forever. He called himself a renaissance man, someone who was interested in a lot of different things. Which I ultimately found charming. You only get one life, so why limit yourself?

2. lik_11 responded on 21 May 2012 at 1:22 pm #

This is something I am currently struggling with- so I love that you wrote about it.
    When I was younger- I loved to make things: jewelry, art, paintings, drawing, music. Not that I was ever talented at these things- but I enjoyed them.
    I followed my head into science and currently work as a chemist. But I wonder everyday where my heart is- because it is certainly not in my current job. Where is all the passion I used to feel? More importantly- what is it that makes me feel passionate? Unfortunately- I don’t even know, anymore. :(

3. Ashley responded on 21 May 2012 at 1:26 pm #

I have found interests and hobbies that I never in my life would have guessed I’d be doing. Writing has been something I have always liked to do and was always good at. At 19, I got into pageants and similar self development programs. Then from them I got into modeling, which I never thought I could do because I always thought I was too short. Recently I have gotten into hula hoop dancing which I didn’t even know what that was until about 6 months ago, but it’s one of the best things I have ever discovered.

4. Kate responded on 21 May 2012 at 1:34 pm #

@Ashley
    Hula hoop dancing! I want to see that!

5. Haley responded on 21 May 2012 at 1:43 pm #

I agree with this sentiment as well. I “followed my head into science” like lik_11 above, but I have so many other interests that I still keep up with, and when I was younger I had even more. It was painful for me to choose a major in college (I ended up double-majoring), since in high school I enjoyed such a wide variety of subjects in school and activities after school. I’m in grad school now, which basically means I’m an ultra-specialist, and it’s awful to think that I’m not going to be able to pursue my other interests in this kind of depth. That doesn’t mean I have to give them up though! I refuse! :)

6. Melanie responded on 21 May 2012 at 1:53 pm #

One: those paintings are beautiful.

Two: those green pants are fantastic in the cake eating pic. I love bright colors.

Lastly, there are so many things that I identify with as “who I am” that it’s hard to narrow down. I’m a hearty laugher, a joke teller, a thinker, a problem solver, a compliment giver….I could go on and on. I think first and foremost I am just a person struggling to be good and kind, and evolve in great ways.

7. June responded on 21 May 2012 at 2:31 pm #

I loved the whole message of this post, but I just had to comment to tell you I have cat dreams all the time too. In fact, I had one last night :)

8. Emily G responded on 21 May 2012 at 2:32 pm #

I used to paint all the time. Mostly in high school and some in my first years of college. I am now getting my Master’s in sociology, so I feel like painting was “who I was then” and not who I am now.

Sometimes people ask me if I still paint and I feel embarassed.
    As if I played painter back then. Because, see, we all know I didn’t end up doing that. So it’s like harkening back to a phase in my life, one that wasn’t who I was.
    Because afterall, all I am is sociology, right?

I hate when people ask what I’m into. Because I want to say that I paint, but that just doesn’t hold up. I don’t have a huge oil painting around. But it still feels relevant to my life.

9. Kate responded on 21 May 2012 at 2:36 pm #

@June
    OK, confession: I was hoping someone would say that.

10. Kate responded on 21 May 2012 at 2:37 pm #

@Melanie
    Hey, thanks, about the paintings!! :-)

Also, everything you described yourself as, I want to be that. So well-put.

11. Layla responded on 21 May 2012 at 3:03 pm #

Yes! I get this. I have so many interests that it’s hard to find time for them all – I sing and play guitar and write songs, and draw and write and read and…many things, and I have to work full time as well and never have time to fit them all in. Sometimes I wish I had fewer interests!

12. stav s. responded on 21 May 2012 at 3:38 pm #

I always had an interest in art as a kid, and still regret not going to art school. Instead I chose to major in business, and have been working as an administrative assistant for years now. In the past few years though, two things have become very apparent to me: I love photograhy/taking photos, and I am pretty good at baking. I feel that these two things define me much more than my job in the office. My sister and I have started a small baking business out of our apartment, and I have also received my first commission based photo project. It’s pretty exciting and fulfilling to start getting recognized for the things I love to do, even if they don’t pay too much.

13. Kate responded on 21 May 2012 at 3:42 pm #

@stav s.
    Oh, wow! That’s amazing that you started a baking business! SO much respect over here. Congratulations on the commission, too! I haven’t figured out a way to monetize my other interests, and I’m not sure I will/want to, but when other people do it, I’m beyond impressed.

14. Alpana Trivedi responded on 21 May 2012 at 4:29 pm #

Hello, Kate. Have you heard of the book A Life at Work by Thomas Moore? I’ve read it at least six times (it was a great book). He talks about the whole concept of your life’s work and that there isn’t just one. Not all of your callings in life will be paid work either. People have now come to define themselves through a very monolithic ideal. Being a writer is who you are, but so are the other things you’re passionate about. I like your paintings, by the way.

I have many callings too. One of them is to be a writer. My paid occupation right now is the Navy (of course, according to them, it should be my top priority to be a sailor first LOL), but would I regard it as a calling in and of itself? I don’t know. Then again, I have had experiences here that many people don’t have. Currently, we’re traveling around many countries in Africa and I’m learning about different cultures and perspectives, so I guess some of the means to an end and travel are callings. I’m also currently taking a college course (I guess I’m satisfying my calling to be a professional student). But everything about me is who I am, not just my work.

15. Rapunzel responded on 21 May 2012 at 4:44 pm #

I don’t know what I am or what I do anymore. I went to school for Ecology–I loved the subject–but then I got into the *real* world and had to discover what exactly my career would *actually* be. My conclusion is that all the fun stuff I learned in school has hardly anything to do with the stuff you have to do in real life, and I feel horribly mislead.

So I want to quit. I’m sick of working seasonally because I can’t find a permanent position, and doing things that I really don’t enjoy at all. But what do I enjoy? That’s where I got stumped. I really don’t know anymore. I focused on Ecology for six years and now I’m lost once I pushed it away. Even if I had another interest, I really don’t have the money or drive to go back to school for another degree.

I’d like to learn candle and soap making. I find it so (possibly) fun that in my head I’ve made it as far as opening my own shop full of soaps and candles and other beeswax goods that I’ve made myself. I can do this, I can learn it. I think it’s something I’d really enjoy. I even looked up a beeswax supplier in my soon-to-be area in MT.

But then again, I haven’t actually DONE any of it yet, so how do I know I’ll even like it? Or even be good at it? What if I can’t? I think I’m clinging on to the idea just because I don’t have any other ideas for my life. It’s a scary position to be in. I find it really frightening to be completely aimless in life, and so I latched on to this possibly ridiculous idea. Yikes.

16. teegan responded on 21 May 2012 at 5:09 pm #

lik_11, I have a friend who got six months into a PhD in chemistry before she couldn’t do it anymore – she missed writing poetry and gardening and cooking and sewing and reading, and so she dropped out. I’ve noticed that science scholars more than many others find their degrees completely consuming their lives. Then again, I know someone else who’s working on an advanced chem degree and loves it, but she has fewer outside interests than the first friend and they’re things she can more easily incorporate into the in-between times, like biking (to and from classes) and being a Quaker (which is all about the small in-between moments).

Anywho! Kate, yes. Since I moved in with hubby, there are certain things I don’t find myself doing anymore, namely because they’re things I did from after-work until bed time and now I usually can’t seem to spend that time away from hubby. Things like scribbling half a short story while drinking a few cups of coffee followed by half a bottle of wine. Things like baking a loaf of bread and eating most of it warm with butter as the entirety of my dinner while working on vast stretches of a quilt. Things like getting tipsy and listening to music and journaling until way past my bed time. Things like spontaneously picking up my viola and practicing until my fingers threaten to blister. Things like going for a run at dusk, because why not?

I love doing those things when I manage to pull myself away from hubby-time. I LOVE them. But when we’re apart until five o’clock in the evening and my bed time (determined by work and now baby) is usually around nine, I feel ridiculous walking away from him. It’s only when we make an outright decision that one or both of us needs space, that he wants to play banjo and watch baseball in the basement all night or that I really need to knock out the binding on that quilt that these thing happen.

I also don’t know why i can’t seem to do these things in the mornings on my day off (besides the drunkenness. that’s probably bad before noon. and now with a baby inside me). But I can’t. It’s gotta be evening.

I’m actually sort of half-hoping that baby putting me in a weird sleep-deprived stupor will lead to some stunning 2 a.m. poems… I can dream, can’t I?

17. Hannah responded on 21 May 2012 at 5:48 pm #

Kate– I. LOVE. THIS. POST.

“I’m not sure why we are all supposed to pick one thing. One thing to pin to our chests so the world can define us. I’m not sure why we only get a moment to answer the question, “What do you do?”

This is my quandary all of the time! People keep asking what I want to do with my life or when I get to Israel and they look disappointed when I say “Be happy. Raise a family. Find a job that’s challenging and exciting. You know, live life.”

And that’s not satisfying to people. Like my becoming the person I want to be (and I am! Becoming, that is, not yet being– although, the becoming is kind of like being in a way), even though I have no idea what labels or combination of words might be convenient or articulate to give her, is not a real thing because it isn’t a one word title I could put on a business card.

Thanks for reminding me that it’s okay to love lots of things and to change your mind a million times about what you love.

Also, check your inbox. I’m sending you a photo of me and some delicious birthday cake right now!

18. Stacey responded on 21 May 2012 at 7:23 pm #

I really relate to this. When I was a kid there were so many things that I wanted to be, all at the same time – writer, illustrator, veterinarian, astronaut, actress, president. And now I still feel like I’m a whole bunch of different things, and whenever anyone asks me what I do, I don’t know how to respond. Do I tell them what I do for money but have no passion for? (Clean houses.) Do I tell them what I love to do but don’t get paid for? (Photography.) Or do I tell them what I want to be? (A writer.)

19. Gracey responded on 21 May 2012 at 10:08 pm #

Yes. This. I have MANY many interests, and I constantly feel like I need to pick one. Not for the same reasons as you, exactly. It’s not that I want an answer to “What do you do?” but I feel like having this many major interests is… greedy? Selfish? Like I’m only ALLOWED to be good at one thing. Like having more than one area of expertise is showing off.

So, since you asked I am-
    A folk musician
    A mandolin player
    A poet
    An artist, or at least an art journaliser
    (No scratch that- I paint at least once a week. I am a bloody artist already even if noone else has ever seen what I’ve done!)
    and a swing-dancer.

Writing that list had me in a cold sweat. I can hear voices saying “Stop boasting. Sit down and shut up. If you do all those things then you must be crap at all of them. And that isn’t an answer- which one of these are? Which?”

I don’t know where this came from. Noone ever sat me down and said “You can be an artist or a poet. Don’t you dare try to be both.”
    Life isn’t like an RPG where you get to sit down and allocate a certain number of points to different areas. Actually, your points are unlimited. It’s the time that’s limited.

… and now I write this I remember being bullied in school for being bright. At my school that was an affront- more so that I was bright AND musical, AND pretty good at art.

I worry I am a Jack (Jill?) of all trades and master of none.

20. Kate responded on 21 May 2012 at 10:18 pm #

@Gracey
    Thank you for sharing your list, and for admitting that it makes you feel like you’re boasting. I should have mentioned that, too. Sometimes I feel like I’m not allowed to be good at more than one thing. Even two feels like sort of a lot. Since when are people only allowed to be good at one thing? That’s ridiculous!

Sometimes it feels strange to remember that so few of my friends have heard me sing, when I love to sing so much, and am proud of my voice. I wonder sometimes if I should put on a little recital. And then I think, “Oh god. How embarrassing. You’d look like such a show off”

21. contrary kiwi responded on 21 May 2012 at 11:35 pm #

Your posts are always amazing, Kate. This one I did not relate to because I don’t identify myself by what I do, and I don’t consider myself to be a fraud because I haven’t written anything (outside of a blog) for a year. I didn’t realise it until I read your post, though. I hate being asked what I do, because I’m a youth worker and an assistant accounts manager (and hopefully will be an administrator too, if I get my third job) but I am not either of those things. I am good at parts of both of them, but I’m not passionate about either of them and I’m good at them because of who I am, not because they define who I am.

@Gracey That is a great list of things to be and it shows you’re clearly artistic. I didn’t think you were boasting as you said them. In fact, I’m going to try to list my things because of your list.

I am:

a gamer
    a dancer
    a writer
    a philosopher
    a counsellor (without a degree, but with the experience)
    a youth leader

I’m not amazing at any of those things. I’m a jack of all trades and master of none, but I don’t think I need to be mindblowing at anything. I enjoy doing those things, I can get paid to do some of them and I can enjoy them all without having them consume my life.

22. Val responded on 22 May 2012 at 1:08 am #

Oh, Kate.

I spent decades thinking my current life was just a prelude to what I was supposed to be doing.

There were babies and homeschool, and more babies.

I finished my degree finally in the weeks before Tim was born.

Still there’s me, wondering what I’m supposed to do with my life.

Tim was born suddenly in our bathtub at 7 at night. It was a very fun evening and he was round and gorgeous, and we slept nose to nose on the pillows.

The next morning, I sat in my bed with Tim in my lap and KNEW.

What I was supposed to do with my life? I had been doing it the whole time.

Anything else I might do? That’d be fine–possibly interesting, likely fun.

But no worries about these big questions. I’d been living them the whole time, scruffy life, bumpy and confusing. This was the real thing.

And that’s the story of that. love, Val

23. Arielle P responded on 22 May 2012 at 2:17 am #

Kate,

I love that you love cats! I love that you love art! I love that you write, and you eat cake, and you’re brave enough to write this blog. I love the warmth that I feel when I read your work.

Best,
    Arielle

24. Patricia responded on 22 May 2012 at 10:08 am #

I will be halfway to 94 in a few weeks! ( in people years 47) When people ask me what I do, I tell them ‘right now I am an Intentional Cohort, but I haven’t really decided what I want to be when I grow up!’ Intentional Cohort is a made up job title, but defines what I do way better than Behaviour Interventionist which sounds impressive but sucks at defining what I do.
    What I am at any given moment would be whatever I am passionate about right then. Currently I am Mother, Gramma, Sister, Daughter, Student, Volunteer, Reader, coffee drinker, soup maker, facebooker, Crossworder, misfit whisperer, Fruglista. Sometimes I am defined by what I am not. I am not a gardener, guitar player, baker, housekeeper, pet owner.
    I don’t think anyone is only one thing, or can define themselves by something they do in one part of their lives. Even if you are not currently doing it, something you were once passionate about still helped make you what you are today, so I am still a poet even though I haven’t written anything but limericks with my kids names in them for over 20 years. The gymnast I was in my teens is long gone, ( along with her body) and I have not twirled a flag with a Drum and Bugle Corps for 30 years, but both of those helped define who I was, and who I am now, and who I will be.
    I don’t know that words in and of themselves can define who I am, I think I will go with, Paper Bag Princess.

25. Marisa responded on 22 May 2012 at 11:21 am #

“I don’t know the word for still wanting to create new things.”
    —A creator! I know that isn’t a word you can just drop into a casual conversation, like artist or writer, but it is true, anyway. Creativity is so important, and so lacking in many people’s lives. The inspiration and the thrill of bringing something into being, whether it’s a poem, a painting, a new screen door (recent personal experience!), a relationship or a blog post, invests one in life.
    Now that I think about it, homeschooling (at least for me, and it sounds like you had a similar experience) was all about creativity, and that may have been the best gift it gave me. I always go on about self-motivation and independence and a love of learning, but I don’t think about creativity, and how homeschooling allowed me to keep and develop the creative impulses every child has (I hope!), and stay wholly invested in the life I was creating for myself, and the self I was creating for my life!
    Thanks for making me think about this, Kate! May all your creative endeavors bring you happiness and make your life ever more truly yours!

26. Doreen responded on 23 May 2012 at 10:23 am #

Kate- those paintings are beautiful! If I could create something that amazing I don’t think I would ever feel like I had to explain myself to anyone. Honestly I would feel so fulfilled and proud. Please post more of your artwork. You rock.

27. Jessica responded on 23 May 2012 at 1:45 pm #

Love this! For much of my life, I identified myself almost solely as a classical pianist, because that’s how I was trained. It didn’t matter much that I couldn’t really see myself performing as such, even while I was a piano performance major in college. Now thankfully, I’ve realized that I’m much more. Right now, I’ve started painting. I’m a great cook. I love singing with people, especially singing harmony. I’m also learning how to let go of some of the things that I’m not. I’m not a good housekeeper. I hate calling people on the phone, especially people I don’t know. But I can work on those things without feeling shame now. Also, @Gracie have you heard of the book The Artist’s Way by Julia Cameron. It helped me tremendously in accepting myself as an artist. Check it out!

28. Celynne responded on 23 May 2012 at 2:12 pm #

I work in a library – am a librarian – but there’s so much more to me. People find out I enjoy things like baking and sewing, and think this makes sense. Then I tell them I also enjoy fishing, hiking, raising tarantulas and breeding geckos and it throws them for a loop.

We are raised in a society where, from small, we are pointed at ONE thing. When teachers and parents ask their children what they want to be when they grow up, they only expect or want one answer. If the kid says “I want to paint and ride horse and swim and hike and teach…” well you can bet they’d set that kid straight. I really hate telling people that I am a librarian because you know, it’s just my job, it’s who I am. It’s how I make a living, nothing else. But again, society expects how we make a living to define us. I’m applying to a French Pastry course here in my city, because I’m already a baker so I may as well attempt to make some money at the same time :D

29. sooz responded on 23 May 2012 at 3:42 pm #

I am a snake who sheds its skin many times throughout each day. I am never the same. I never do exactly the same things. I am never the same person day in and day out. I try not to abide by the labels of others. I simply try to just be me. :)

30. Lesley responded on 24 May 2012 at 9:54 am #

Amen. Amen. A. Effing. MEN.

Oh god I needed to read this so badly. Can I tell you why? Awesome, well… in addition to this description of yourself sounding nearly identical to me, it’s a case for the Renaissance man/woman. And a real one.

Not one that’s turned itself into a plea to buy an ebook or join an exclusive club, or offer some kind of ‘solution’ to help people pick something (thank you for that). It hasn’t driven the message into someone’s brain, making people who aren’t polymaths think they’re boring or bad. And it hasn’t tried to start a huge social movement. It’s just praised this part of your spirit and showcased that these pieces of you that don’t live under the writer label on the surface are in there, contributing to everything you’re doing and ever will do. All of that stuff is in there, could be called upon at any time if you felt like painting or writing songs, and you don’t HAVE to share that if you don’t want to (I was just writing about this a couple weeks ago. It’s fate, I swear).

I have a feeling my life is starting to shape itself more and more into the ‘writer’ label, though in the thick of my what-do-I-do Renaissancyness who even knows? (and still have complexes on what exactly I’m even saying and why… the need to create, like you said.) Artist is more all-encompassing but I agree it doesn’t quite cover all the bases. Music, art, theatre, illustration, writing, playing music, puppetry… what do you call all that? That’s when Michelangelo like, steps out of a cloud and is like “hey, babe! You people are like me and Leonardo over here! Don’t worry about it. 500 years ago you would have been revered in society and nobody would question that you do 8 million things, sometimes simultaneously.” (…not the ninja turtles, obviously…though I do like pizza.)

Thank you so much for writing this. I am gonna share the crap out of it.

31. Kate responded on 24 May 2012 at 6:54 pm #

@Jessica
    Oh, and I forgot classical piano!! I totally forgot. Yes. And I also hate calling people I don’t know on the phone.

32. Kate responded on 24 May 2012 at 6:56 pm #

@Lesley
    This was so sweet and I loved reading it! Me and Michelangelo? I’ll take it!

33. Eat the Damn Cake » a wife, a husband, and a roommate responded on 31 May 2012 at 12:58 pm #

[...] like being alone, a lot. I’m good at it. I work alone, all day long, most days. I am good at entertaining myself when I’m not working.  Until my friend moved in for a month, I actually didn’t realize how much I like being [...]

34. Eat the Damn Cake » still really young responded on 01 Aug 2012 at 1:11 pm #

[...] Who knows what I will do! I barely even know myself yet! [...]