christine eats cake (and gets a piercing)

Me: Sorry, the questions are kinda corny…

Christine: Haha, but I love corny questions :D !

Where do you live? I attend university in New York, but this picture was taken in Santiago, Chile where I’m currently doing a semester abroad.

How old are you? By the time you publish my picture I’ll be 21 (I know, I know, I look so much younger…)

What are you awesome at? I’m really, really awesome at caring for the people that I love.

Favorite kind of cake? There are three favorites I cannot possibly ever choose in life — a favorite book, a favorite musical artist, and of course a favorite type of cake. Why choose a favorite when they’re all so fabulous :D ?

I wanted to pass on this photo of me & some cake for 2 reasons. First, this was certainly the best, most moist, delicious cake I’ve ever eaten in my life. I can’t even explain it in words, that good. Second, this picture was taken the day after I got the piercing that you see. Although I wanted it for a few years, I always told myself “I just didn’t have the face for it” or “I couldn’t pull it off.” But your posting about your short short hair, and having (or not having) “the face for it” got me thinking… And now I’m so glad I finally did it :D !

A short thought about my piercing:

Something that struck me was the way the people who surrounded me reacted to my choice. From my mother (“Didn’t they have anything smaller? Why your face??”), to well-meaning friends (“You know, when you told me you were thinking about this I thought it would look terrible, but I’m so surprised it actually looks good!”), to a misguided guy friend (“Now all guys will think you’re a freak in bed, you know.”), the reactions were really all across the spectrum. After hearing enough of this, I realized this was precisely the reason I had held off for 3 years — such an obvious modification to my appearance would change the way people think of me. A girl “like me,” with my classic style of dressing, generally refined behavior, a job that I’m lucky to have in an environment where no one has facial piercings, and a future full of interviews in a conservative field, that girl couldn’t possibly get a piercing because it would be so incongruent to what everyone would expect. And that’s exactly what came to pass — The comments made it quite clear that the general consensus was one of bewilderment — we just didn’t expect this of her! We didn’t think you were the “kind of girl” who would get a piercing in her lip!

Well, I don’t know exactly what “kind of girl” it is that gets piercings in her face, but I know that every single time I catch a reflection of my face this decision has made me smile. And while it’s not a profound, life changing revelation, I think that anything that can make you smile at your reflection and embrace your appearance is an awesome thing. I’ve learned that no matter how you present yourself, both strangers and people you love will draw conclusions about about you from your physical appearance, because for better or worse we are a visual world. So I figure, whether it’s your red lipstick, your favorite sweatpants, or your facial piercing, if something makes you happy and embrace your appearance, then love it.

Okay, that was certainly not at all a short thought! I am quite terrible at keeping things short & tend to just ramble on & on (see above), which is exactly why while I read far too many blogs, I don’t keep one of my own. So I have no blog link to share, I’m just glad to share my experience with your readers :) .

Unroast: Today I love how pink and white my nails are naturally.

Thank you, Christine!! I love the piercing! And everything you wrote about it. Guys, send me your cake shots and info or just cake shots (I’ll write back with prying questions)!

Also, stuff I’m doing that I wanted to share:

The second piece ever of my COLUMN! Because I’m a columnist now! eeeeee!!! This is about “Snow White and the Huntsman,” but mostly my fear of someone calling me ugly. I’d love your support in sharing this, and making me feel more like a legit columnist. I feel like you can’t be legit with only two pieces on your column. You need like…a hundred?

Turtle Girl Tries Yoga— a piece I wrote about being turtle girl, thanks to some hilarious scoliosis, and my original venture into the world of yoga. This is on Thought Catalog.

Kate on June 22nd 2012 in cake eaters

13 Responses to “christine eats cake (and gets a piercing)”

1. contrary kiwi responded on 22 Jun 2012 at 6:38 am #

Yay for getting a piercing! I got told that my face didn’t suit snakebites (type of lip piercing) and I got them anyway. It’s funny how people can sometimes get so very personal over something that doesn’t affect them in the slightest!

I also love that you’re not worrying about what a girl like you is “supposed” to do and just going for what you actually want to do. Yay!

2. my honest answer responded on 22 Jun 2012 at 6:39 am #

I’d love to how it did go down in a conservative work force. I know a few places where I think you would be told to take it out for work. Would you be prepared to, if they asked? Such an interesting subject why people have such strong reactions to something we routinely do to ears.

3. Lynn responded on 22 Jun 2012 at 7:50 am #

Go you! (btw, great post over on The Frisky, Kate!)

4. Another Kate responded on 22 Jun 2012 at 10:17 am #

Yay for piercings! I have no legitimate desire to buzz my hair, but have been debating a nose piercing for AGES. You may have inspired me :)

5. Jennifeer responded on 22 Jun 2012 at 10:20 am #

These are all the reasons why I hesitated to get my pixie cut as well (I’m the female half of the couple in the reader-submitted photo a couple posts ago). I was surprised at how much I loved it, and how much other people liked it. I got lots of people saying “I wasn’t sure how it would look when you described it, but now that I see it, I like it”. I was told that I was brave, that the haircut was just so “me”. I was really surprised at the overwhelmingly positive response. But the second thing everyone said (and even my hairdresser asked) was “What does your husband think of it?”. It seems innocent enough to ask, but the tone always implied that he would think I made some huge mistake. But my husband is one of those wonderful guys who thinks I look good when I am happy with how I look. He doesn’t care if my hair is long or short, he just wants me to be happy (this does lead to frustrations in its own right, though… sometimes I genuinely want his opinion on something, and it is hard to drag it out of him). He actually likes me better with the short hair, which I guess puts him in the minority.

I guess it bothers me when I read about women saying “oh, I wish I could cut my hair (or whatever else), but my husband wouldn’t like it/men won’t find me as attractive”. Or when I hear reactions to short hair or alternative appearances that are all wrapped up in what men will think, as if all men like the same thing, and all women should put what men think first. Of course I take what my husband thinks into consideration, but if I REALLY want to do something I’ll do it, even if he doesn’t necessarily like the idea.

Anyway, I got off on a tangent there. My point is that we all should do more of what makes US happy, and worry less what men/the society at large will think. Getting a piercing, cutting all our hair off, dressing like a fairy princess, whatEVER makes you happy and confident… don’t worry what others will say.

6. Melanie responded on 22 Jun 2012 at 10:55 am #

That is one of the only facial piercings I really like. It looks so dashing on most ladies. I call it the Marilyn because it reminds me of Marilyn Monroe’s beauty mark. In fact, the real name for it might be that or something similar. I love that she did what she wanted. Reactions to stuff like that from friends is often a study in sociology and quite interesting. Every time I get a new tattoo I’m always excited to see how people will react, even if that reaction is one I find disturbing.

7. Kelli responded on 22 Jun 2012 at 12:12 pm #

I really enjoy these cake eaters’ interviews! And I think that the piercing looks cute. I whole heartedly agree that if it makes you happy & doesn’t hurt anyone, then who cares about anything else!
    Good for you for going ahead & doing something that makes you happy & not worrying about others.
    The cake looks yummy!

8. Sheryl responded on 22 Jun 2012 at 12:53 pm #

The apprehension about getting that piercing and the reaction to it really reminds me of part (but not all) of the debate I’m having about getting more, bigger tattoos.

The piercing really suits you! And I think it totally goes with the rest of your style as you describe it (although you liking it is the way more important matter).

9. katilda responded on 22 Jun 2012 at 2:13 pm #

I love the sentiment of this. The compulsion to not look like you “should” to fit a particular role. I am part of a conservative religious community but I often do things that are a bit unorthodox, like one time when I dyed my hair pink. It didn’t change me or my beliefs, if anything, it just enhanced my self-expression as an entire person — conservative and pink hair and all. I think we do ourselves a serious disservice when we think that a certain type of person is supposed to look a certain way. How boring and unimaginative!

10. Vicky responded on 22 Jun 2012 at 4:04 pm #

Yay, a reader in Santiago! Exciting– I’m in the airport right now, heading back home: Yep, Santiago. If I see you walking in the street I promise I’ll say hi!

11. Melissa responded on 22 Jun 2012 at 4:24 pm #

Hey Kate!

I’ve been waiting for an opportunity to comment on your site – and this one drew me out! Well, actually it was your linked “Turtle Girl Does Yoga”…I just ventured into the world of Bikram yoga this week and your article simply cracked me up. I have been stalking your blog for a couple of weeks now and really enjoying your thoughts. I also happen to be an unschooled “now adult” and find that you have so many of the same thoughts I do! Love your stuff, keep it up!

12. Jinx responded on 23 Jun 2012 at 8:09 am #

You look gorgeous with your piercing! Do you know why? Because it made you confident and happy.
    And that’s the true meaning of beauty to me.

P.S. I love this blog. I have a “secret society” with my friends (it’s actually more like the Pink Ladies of Grease but on Facebook) where we help to keep each other motivated and feeling beautiful. I link to this blog sooooo often!

13. Eat the Damn Cake » Jessica eats cake responded on 29 Jun 2012 at 8:38 pm #

[...] their cake pics/share stuff about what they think about beauty and body image. Before this we met Christine and [...]