Liz eats cake and talks beauty queens

Where do you live? I’m from South Florida (HEAT CHAMPIONS!!!) but I’m currently living in Costa Rica on a Fulbright Grant

How old are you? No one likes you when you’re 23 hahahaha

What are you awesome at? I’ve been told this by others, and tend to agree, that I’m awesome at communicating!

What is your favorite kind of cake? I haven’t had nearly as much cake as one should, but hands down this cake right here in this picture is my absolute favorite of all time! It’s so beautiful and enticing that I had to take a picture of it to send you, but I had no plans of having any, had to watch my figure…of course that lasted all of 2 seconds. The 3 succulent, moist, chocolate layers with the nutella type frosting and almonds staring up at me were too much to resist. Finally, I forgot about my figure and dug in to pure bliss.

But I didn’t forget about my figure for too long. Body image is something I overanalyze constantly within the context of my Venezuelan family.

Venezuela is known for it’s vanity and record Miss Universe queens. It always ranks high among the countries with the most plastic surgeries performed per year, etc etc. This beauty obsession definitely reaches the whole country, and my family has not escaped it. I grew up having my curly hair blow dried religiously to go to elementary school, being told that I would be perfect if I just got breast implants, that if I smoothed out my nose with my thumb and index finger 100 times a day it would magically become more pointy, that the only acceptable measurements for a woman were 90 cm, 60 cm, 90 cm, and that I should practice wearing high heels because 5’3″ was just too short. These impossible beauty standards are enough to make anyone feel inadequate and less than worthy.

Yet my time in Costa Rica finally away from the super-glam environment of the University of Miami, our unhealthy American pop culture and my beauty-obsessed family has helped me feel less overwhelmed by these microcosms and has helped me solidify my own standards of beauty. I continue to embrace my curly hair, big hips and button nose a bit more every day…all while enjoying a piece of cake guilt-free, without worrying so much about my figure anymore

What is your unroast for the day? Today I love how my neon ensemble which doesn’t match in the slightest – neon green shirt, electric blue nails, and bright orange toe nails- somehow works and highlights my tan skin

Liz blogs at Pura Vida!

Thank you, Liz!! Do you have a cake pic? Send it! kate@eatthedamncake.com

Kate on July 13th 2012 in cake eaters

10 Responses to “Liz eats cake and talks beauty queens”

1. Kristina responded on 13 Jul 2012 at 12:20 pm #

I really like the way Liz is looking at that cake. Almost like a cat toying with a mouse, “should I eat you?…should I poke at you for a bit?….No, I am going to eat you!”.

2. Fallon responded on 13 Jul 2012 at 12:40 pm #

The link to Liz’s blog is not working – I would love to visit as I am a University of Miami alum as well! Please share :)

3. Kate responded on 13 Jul 2012 at 12:43 pm #

@Fallon
    Oy! That keeps happening! Thanks for letting me know. Does it work for you now?

4. Melanie responded on 13 Jul 2012 at 12:44 pm #

That is a good pic. I hear her saying, “I’ll just poke it and get a teeny bit of frosting.” Then saying screw it and getting a plate and a knife.

I had no idea Venezuela was like that as far as beauty standards went. Growing up with all of that must be difficult for little girls.

5. Fallon responded on 13 Jul 2012 at 12:46 pm #

It works! Thank you :)

6. Kate responded on 13 Jul 2012 at 12:46 pm #

@Fallon
    Yay!

7. Mara responded on 13 Jul 2012 at 4:38 pm #

Oh my god, that cake looks freaking delectable.

8. Danielle @ Collegiate Feminist responded on 19 Jul 2012 at 12:34 am #

1) The cake looks delicious
    2) I’m in Colombia right now and there is a similar beauty standard– plastic surgery is huge here. It’s difficult, because in the US the standard is stick thin runway model, but here it’s more feminine and womanly? It’s actually been good for me, because I don’t fit the American skinny beauty standard. It’s helping me appreciate myself… isn’t it funny how a place can influence our self-perception? Surroundings and the messages we get from the media, our family, friends, etc. really, really matter. Scary, right?

9. Brittany responded on 14 Dec 2012 at 6:32 pm #

I needed to thank you for this great read!! I absolutely loved every little bit of it.
    I’ve got you bookmarked to look at new things you post…

10. Outlet Ralph Lauren Online responded on 29 Apr 2014 at 3:27 am #

Hi, I do think this is a great website. I stumbledupon it ;) I will return once again since i have saved as
    a favorite it. Money and freedom is the best way to change, may you be rich and continue to help
    other people.